FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1719061-premium-transcon-service-sfo-ewr-bos-lax-ewr-flights-questions-experiences.html)

kookoo Feb 14, 17 1:37 pm

How do I know which flights are P.S.?

Are ALL SFO-EWR flights P.S.? I ask because the P.S. flights aren't eligible for automatic upgrades. If only some are PS, how can I tell which ones are/aren't, so I can pick one with upgrade possibilities?

IAH-OIL-TRASH Feb 14, 17 1:44 pm

All flights between LAX/SFO and EWR are p.s.

Hipplewm Feb 14, 17 4:38 pm

Premium cabin will be United Business and not United First

NikoLGA Feb 14, 17 5:15 pm

If you are on a flight between EWR and SFO or LAX, it is P.S.

Do remember, P.S only applies to the premium cabin.

kookoo Feb 14, 17 5:23 pm

So no upgrade :-(

Ahh - so no chance of an automatic upgrade. Too bad! I realize the P.S. experience is only in the premium cabin, but wondered about upgrade possibilities.

NikoLGA Feb 14, 17 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by kookoo (Post 27910068)
Ahh - so no chance of an automatic upgrade. Too bad! I realize the P.S. experience is only in the premium cabin, but wondered about upgrade possibilities.

I see now, yes I over looked that.

Chances are slim to none, especially nowadays when the dedicated P.S subfleet is used on less than half the flights.

WineCountryUA Feb 14, 17 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis (Post 27910037)
... Do remember, P.S only applies to the premium cabin.

While the focus is primarily on premium cabin, It also applies to the economy cabin -- with free seat back AVOD which does not appear 100% on any other route.

As far as upgrades, only supported upgrades work and no CPU or Instant Upgrades. And upgrade opportunities are limited.

anc-ord772 Feb 14, 17 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 27893887)
p.s. Tossed a GPU at trying to get into first on UA 751 since it still had 3 open lie flats when I switched - originally was 3rd on the upgrade list but only one person got the upgrade. They were asking $249 via the app to make it into 1st but was hoping that others wouldn't bite - Wrong!

If you really wanted to fly in BF that was a mistake. $249 is a great price for the route.

DELee Feb 15, 17 12:09 am

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 27893887)
p.s. Tossed a GPU at trying to get into first on UA 751 since it still had 3 open lie flats when I switched - originally was 3rd on the upgrade list but only one person got the upgrade. They were asking $249 via the app to make it into 1st but was hoping that others wouldn't bite - Wrong!

Originally Posted by anc-ord772 (Post 27910959)
If you really wanted to fly in BF that was a mistake. $249 is a great price for the route.

True - but I had applied an RPU on my SFO-EWR flight - also booked as the international 772 configuration - earlier in the week and was only one of two who actually made into J and into a lie-flat seat.

So I was being a bit cocky but even on the SFO-EWR flight, I had seen a $299 offer to buy up and figured that I might get lucky again...as shown above, my luck didn't hold up on the EWR-LAX flight since 3 open J seats out of 16 on a 752 versus 3 or 4 out of 40 on a 772 were different odds. And apparently, more folks going to LAX wanted the seats and charged hard currency to their credit cards than SFO folks wanted to pay.

David

nomad420 Feb 15, 17 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by blueman2 (Post 27893393)
So, is there compensation due when a non-ps aircraft is used??? (for Business Class customers, I mean)

Oh yeah! Happened to me on a red eye last year SFO to EWR and I was handed a voucher initially by the FA and, as I recall, issued another credit by UA to my account. It was about $400 (if not $500) in total. The guy sitting next me almost went into convulsions when he boarded and saw it wasn't ps service equipment (no lie flat seats). I got an email before the flight notifying me of the equipment change.

NikoLGA Feb 15, 17 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 27910589)
While the focus is primarily on premium cabin, It also applies to the economy cabin -- with free seat back AVOD which does not appear 100% on any other route.

As far as upgrades, only supported upgrades work and no CPU or Instant Upgrades. And upgrade opportunities are limited.

Maybe, but frankly that’s not much of a “perk". I’d prefer DirecTV to AVOD (I know, that’s my opinion), and there are some domestic routes, like EWR-HNL, EWR-ANC where one is also guaranteed seat back AVOD 100%

Also, there is no longer any wording about that perk on United.com like there used to be.

WineCountryUA Feb 15, 17 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis (Post 27915175)
Maybe, but frankly that’s not much of a “perk". I’d prefer DirecTV to AVOD (I know, that’s my opinion), and there are some domestic routes, like EWR-HNL, EWR-ANC where one is also guaranteed seat back AVOD 100%. ...

yes 1 of 1 is 100% :D
but not quite the same >10 flights a day 100%.

Kacee Feb 15, 17 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis (Post 27915175)
Maybe, but frankly that’s not much of a “perk".

It used to be a true "premium" service in both cabins. That's slowly faded, likely due to price pressure on the economy fares.

N623DL Feb 15, 17 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by kookoo (Post 27910068)

It's more of a branding gimmick in coach but at least you get free seat back IFE and transcon buy on board meal qualities. Meals haven't been free in coach on PS since 2006 or so.

That said, with losing the small subfleet of subsidiary UA 757s will be a big loss. I don't know if they have a solution for the backfill yet, hence the push back on rebranding to Polaris lite (or whatever you want to call it.)

NikoLGA Feb 16, 17 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 27915293)
yes 1 of 1 is 100% :D
but not quite the same >10 flights a day 100%.

I know... I was semi-joking.

You are right, but in practice 95 people out of 100 will feel or notice nothing “premium” about an Economy P.S. Flight.

When p.s was first introduced, there was only a small and noticeable Economy Plus section, JFK was a smaller operation, and boarding was a breeze due to the small load, and I’d bet 95 out of 100 knew they were flying on a more refined & special plane.

The only possible perk I see are those sporadic promotions, like Banana Republic Blankets & Enhanced Snacks you occasionally see.