Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:29 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 23, 19, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by tarheelnj View Post
And the madness continued, as that A320 returned to EWR as UA 1165, the 12:15am redeye this morning. Anyone out there buy a seat on that flight expecting a decent sleep on a flatbed seat? Good grief.....
Because they really needed that 320 back at EWR . . . .

Originally Posted by findark View Post
This should more or less answer why UA doesn't add p.s. service to [favorite long domestic route]. Seems like competing with B6 in BOS is a little far to stretch the fleet.
They should put the Hi J on SFO-EWR.
findark likes this.
Old Apr 23, 19, 8:49 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Because they really needed that 320 back at EWR . . . .

They should put the Hi J on SFO-EWR.
They could have swapped out the Hi J 772 that went to IAH (UA 2352, 12:55am) this morning with this 320, and then sub it for one of the flights to EWR if it needed to be back there. That way they wouldn't have had two lay-flat fails in a row.
Old Apr 23, 19, 10:09 am

Programs: UA GL*G (0.65 BIS MM), AA EXP, Wyndham Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Big part of the decision is probably the sheer volume of people that would be entitled to use lounge at both ends SFO/LAX/EWR if Tramscon let in. LAX Polaris lounge definitely not designed for it and would be miserably crowded all the time. Add SFO and LAX-bound passengers toe EWR Polaris lounge and it would be chaos.
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
The OP had proposed opening up PL access to red-eye flights only. Is AA doing that? No. The slope I had referred to: assigning access only to certain flights on a particular route.
AA F and J pax on transcon JFK-LAX/SFO can use AA flagship lounge at JFK and LAX, and F pax can use flagship first dining at JFK and LAX as well.
silverforumsurf likes this.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Apr 23, 19 at 10:17 am
Old Apr 23, 19, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Originally Posted by OCedHrt View Post
I had a 787 SFO->EWR. These have the Polaris suite seats vs the old lie flats. I went out of my way to book that (and it also cost about $700 more, though I later got a $525 ETC because the price dropped). Now the flight was switched to a 777 and I went from aisle access to window (same seat number). Was lucky I was checking, as there was on communication regarding the equipment change.

Unfortunately, the surrounding 787 flights are $1000+ more and because the flight has happened yet, customer care won't do anything. Am I out of options? I guess the product I bought no longer exists at the price I paid.

The oddest thing is I'm unable to price my existing fare on ITA even with unavailable flights shown.
Unfortunately, it was not sold to you as Polaris. It was sold to you as a premium transcon lie flat seat. Nothing more. So, you're still getting a lie flat seat on a 777. You didn't buy "Polaris," so that's why they won't budge. When they originally scheduled it with a superior product, that's just a bonus.
Old Apr 23, 19, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
I had a 787 SFO->EWR. These have the Polaris suite seats vs the old lie flats. I went out of my way to book that (and it also cost about $700 more, though I later got a $525 ETC because the price dropped). Now the flight was switched to a 777 and I went from aisle access to window (same seat number). Was lucky I was checking, as there was on communication regarding the equipment change.

Unfortunately, the surrounding 787 flights are $1000+ more and because the flight has happened yet, customer care won't do anything. Am I out of options? I guess the product I bought no longer exists at the price I paid.

The oddest thing is I'm unable to price my existing fare on ITA even with unavailable flights shown.
Try calling them. Tell you you specifically booked the 781 to experience the new plane and you'd like to switch to a flight that still has a 781 operating. They are known to accommodate such requests, but it is a YMMV situation and status will help.
Flying Machine and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 23, 19, 8:09 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post

AA F and J pax on transcon JFK-LAX/SFO can use AA flagship lounge at JFK and LAX, and F pax can use flagship first dining at JFK and LAX as well.
​​​​​​​Well aware the access policy for AA. This is different. The other poster had proposed opening up PL access for red-eye flights only. If that had been the case, how would eligible pax on the same route traveling during the day feel?

​​​
Old Apr 24, 19, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
Unfortunately, it was not sold to you as Polaris. It was sold to you as a premium transcon lie flat seat. Nothing more. So, you're still getting a lie flat seat on a 777. You didn't buy "Polaris," so that's why they won't budge. When they originally scheduled it with a superior product, that's just a bonus.
That's a good point, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Try calling them. Tell you you specifically booked the 781 to experience the new plane and you'd like to switch to a flight that still has a 781 operating. They are known to accommodate such requests, but it is a YMMV situation and status will help.
So far they won't budge, but I may try again closer to the flight -.-
Old Apr 24, 19, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
So far they won't budge, but I may try again closer to the flight -.-
Try citing Contract of Carriage Rule 24(B)(7)(c), which defines IRROPS warranting a free change as "Substitution of aircraft type that provides different classes of service or different seat configurations." I actually don't think it's meant to apply in this situation (different kind of lie-flat) but it's not an outrageous argument and may get you some traction.
Old Jun 4, 19, 8:59 am

2418 today switched from 781 to 772

Status: Your flight (UA 2418) on Jun. 4 has been delayed because of a plane change caused by schedule disruptions in Los Angeles. Your new plane is expected to arrive from Houston at 08:21 AM. We're sorry for this inconvenience. Your estimated departure time is 09:25 AM, arriving in Newark at 05:38 PM.
Old Jun 5, 19, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Silver
Does Economy Plus still get a meal on the PS / Cross Country Comfort routes? I'm flying EWR - LAX tomorrow, departing EWR at 11am. Wondering if I should expect to be served lunch, or should plan accordingly.
Old Jun 5, 19, 9:53 am

Programs: Continental
Yes. Pasta or chicken

Yes, pasta or chicken
Old Jun 7, 19, 11:49 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Well aware the access policy for AA. This is different. The other poster had proposed opening up PL access for red-eye flights only. If that had been the case, how would eligible pax on the same route traveling during the day feel?

​​​
Well you don’t get a full meal on red eyes unlike the other flights on the route, despite being the same product and often same fares. So including a pass for polaris lounge or food at airport seems fair to offset..

Plus they did the “surprise and delight” invitations to Polaris Lounge for a while (or maybe even now) for selected folks on premium routes..
Old Jun 7, 19, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by silverforumsurf View Post
Plus they did the “surprise and delight” invitations to Polaris Lounge for a while (or maybe even now) for selected folks on premium routes..
That was for GF lounge, not Polaris.

I was in the Flagship Lounge LAX a couple weeks ago and it was super crowded. Based on that experience, I find UA's decision not to allow domestic pax into Polaris to be fully justified. It's a different (and much more pleasant) experience from what it would be if you tripled the crowds.
AirbusFan2B, findark and east_west like this.
Old Jun 7, 19, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I find UA's decision not to allow domestic pax into Polaris to be fully justified. It's a different (and much more pleasant) experience from what it would be if you tripled the crowds.
+1
As much as I like the PLs it is never going to happen. And to your point it would only degrade the PLs with at least "triple the crowds". My last trip in the SFO PL I think there were less than 10 people in the lounge. I guess some could then argue it is underutilized but I am sure it does occasionally get busy.
Old Jun 7, 19, 1:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75 + UA 1K; Former Delta Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
My last trip in the SFO PL I think there were less than 10 people in the lounge. I guess some could then argue it is underutilized but I am sure it does occasionally get busy.
I don't think I've ever seen the SFO polaris lounge with fewer than 50 (midday with all the departures between noon and 2pm). To be sure, not overcrowded, but far from empty.

Search this Thread