Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:29 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 13, 19, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, A3 Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, ClubCarlson Gold
I've a first class ticket on a SFO-IAH-EWR flight in booking class P. Anyone know if I might be able to do a same day change to a direct SFO-EWR flight, given there is no First class in transcontinental PS, just Business class?
Old Apr 13, 19, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by j8s8er View Post
I've a first class ticket on a SFO-IAH-EWR flight in booking class P. Anyone know if I might be able to do a same day change to a direct SFO-EWR flight, given there is no First class in transcontinental PS, just Business class?
The App will typically offer it if available, yes.
Old Apr 13, 19, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
a colleague recent got a $1000 ETC for a 752 --> 753 swap. Let us know what they are offering.
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Well, FWIW, I pointed out a) 752 -> 753 downgrade; b) specifically chose 21D on 752 for exit row recline whereas 21D on 753 does not recline; c) 1 hour 20 minute late departure from SFO; d) INVOL breakage of all downstream segments due to late SFO departure; e) inop WiFi/entertainment in my post to customercare..

Result: $175 ETC.

Whatever.

David
well, of course that was a downgrade from lie-flat to recliner ... not coach ... $175 seems fair for that
Old Apr 13, 19, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
$175 seems fair for that
Not even close.
Old Apr 13, 19, 6:18 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
well, of course that was a downgrade from lie-flat to recliner ... not coach ... $175 seems fair for that
I wasn't expecting an $1,000 ETC. However, given the breakage to my trip that the MX swap/delay caused as well as the INOP WiFi beyond the non-recline Y seat, I still would assert that something above $250 would have been more appropriate.

David
Old Apr 13, 19, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Personally, I'd say they were pretty stingy. I mean, does $175 cover the fare difference between Business and a similar itinerary in domestic first (with a connection of course)? If not, then I would be expecting at least that much.
Old Apr 14, 19, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
Personally, I'd say they were pretty stingy. I mean, does $175 cover the fare difference between Business and a similar itinerary in domestic first (with a connection of course)? If not, then I would be expecting at least that much.
business? Why business?
Old Apr 14, 19, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Several flights today SFO-BOS-SFO with 753. UA better fixes this quickly. I am seeing a lot of 752s elsewhere in the domestic network ... they must be paying a fortune in comps for the folks who got downgraded 28 --> 24 plus the 24 for not having lie-flat.
Old Apr 14, 19, 9:13 am

Seeing a lot more reports of this recently. Is this related to removing MAX from the network? If so, it seems this will only worsen as we enter the summer season with no return of MAX anytime soon.
Old Apr 14, 19, 4:27 pm

Several flights today SFO-BOS-SFO with 753. UA better fixes this quickly. I am seeing a lot of 752s elsewhere in the domestic network ... they must be paying a fortune in comps for the folks who got downgraded 28 --> 24 plus the 24 for not having lie-flat.
If most of those 752s in the network are 16J configured, the question becomes:
Replacing 28 seat lie-flat with 24 domestic Fs or 16 lie-flats, what is worse??
Old Apr 14, 19, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
business? Why business?
Because PTS premium cabin is Business.
Old Apr 20, 19, 3:22 pm

Does United transcon passengers have access to Polaris Lounge?

Last time I was at United Club at EWR, my experience can be described as dismal at best. I am not anxious to repeat the experience. I am flying transcon out of EWR again next month. I am looking for alternatives. Does United transcon passengers have access to the new Polaris Lounge?
Old Apr 20, 19, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ianlin View Post
Last time I was at United Club at EWR, my experience can be described as dismal at best. I am not anxious to repeat the experience. I am flying transcon out of EWR again next month. I am looking for alternatives. Does United transcon passengers have access to the new Polaris Lounge?
In a word, no.
Old Apr 20, 19, 3:39 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
No, unless you arrive from or have an onward connecting long-haul international flight.
Old Apr 20, 19, 3:53 pm

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
Absolutely not. Polaris Lounge access requires flying either UA in Polaris across an ocean (i.e. EWR > LHR) or departing from a *A airline in J/F going across the ocean (i.e. SFO>NRT on NH). However, if you are a UA Gold or above member you have access to several non-UA lounges at EWR, namely the LH and SK lounge at Terminal B. The former has an excellent selection of food but tends to be crowded. The latter has meh food (albeit slightly better than UC EWR IMHO) but has tons more space due to it not being crowded. You can access Terminal B either by taking the United shuttle bus to Terminal B or by walking to Terminal B landside and clearing security there. If you do the latter, skip the line and keep walking towards security on the right hand side. You'll eventually see a sign that say Business/First. Use that line (since you're a *Gold) and you'll be in the terminal within 30 minutes or so. Keep in mind, you'll need to add time to get back to Terminal C since there is no bus airside to bring you back there. In that case use the Premier Access and/or TSA pre line (supposing you have the latter), whichever is shorter. From my experience it takes no more than 10 minutes to clear security using either lane.

Safe Travels,

James

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 20, 19 at 4:14 pm Reason: OT; extranous

Search this Thread