FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1719061-premium-transcon-service-sfo-lax-ewr-flights-questions-experiences.html)

Kacee Apr 19, 2022 10:40 pm

SFO 1R Departure on 77W

SFO-EWR on UA1657, operated with a 77W, we took off from 1R. I'd heard reports of heavies occasionally departing from the 1s but this was a first for me in about 30 years of flying ex-SFO. Wheels up just as we crossed the 28s.

econ Apr 19, 2022 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 34179846)
SFO-EWR on UA1657, operated with a 77W, we took off from 1R. I'd heard reports of heavies occasionally departing from the 1s but this was a first for me in about 30 years of flying ex-SFO. Wheels up just as we crossed the 28s.

Most widebodies heading east on domestic routes that I've been on have used 1R. Much more infrequent on long haul routes it seems, I guess the longer 28s are needed then, although I've seen VS take off on 1R and I was once on an AY flight that used 1R.

Repooc17 Apr 20, 2022 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 34179846)

I had thought 1L/1R are usually the runways being used for all domestic departures, including transcon flights. Always get a window seat on the left side of the plane for an opportunity to see all of SF before the turn to east.

Kacee Apr 20, 2022 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 34180494)
I had thought 1L/1R are usually the runways being used for all domestic departures, including transcon flights. Always get a window seat on the left side of the plane for an opportunity to see all of SF before the turn to east.

The normal pattern is landings on 28s, takeoffs on 1s, except the widebodies use 28 for takeoff because of runway length. When lined up for takeoff on the 1s, you'll often see the heavies lined up at 28.

stimpy Apr 20, 2022 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 34180702)
The normal pattern is landings on 28s, takeoffs on 1s, except the widebodies use 28 for takeoff because of runway length. When lined up for takeoff on the 1s, you'll often see the heavies lined up at 28.

Occasional serious shifts in normal wind patterns will dictate a change in runways. Like at LAX during the Santa Ana winds. They take off to the east. Only happens on a few days of the year.

findark Apr 20, 2022 8:22 am

I think the fuel weight makes a difference. Checking my flight diary, all the 789s running SFO-IAH I've been on used 1R and every heavy going across an ocean was the 28s.

In heavy crosswind days, I have seen lines of heavies sadly camped out at the end of the 10s waiting for a break in the wind since they need the longer runway (for long flights).

Infinite1K Apr 20, 2022 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 34180702)

The only times I’ve seen a heavy domestic take off from the 28s has been when all the other departure traffic has also been using the 28s due to winds.

All the domestic heavies I’ve taken to EWR/JFK/IAD/ORD/DEN/IAH are usually on 1s except when the wind conditions cause all departures to use the 28s.

Hawaii and International though usually take off from the 28s, though I’ve seen a few instances where they will use 1R.

Flying Machine May 6, 2022 9:19 am

Any news on the meals in E+ and alcoholic drinks that were a perquisite with Premium Transcontinental Service

MatthewLAX May 6, 2022 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 34226559)
Any news on the meals in E+ and alcoholic drinks that were a perquisite with Premium Transcontinental Service

Internally, there has been no news of meals being restored.

But there's hope - meals have improved on West Coast - Europe flights this month in Y and PP.

Flying Machine May 6, 2022 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 34227347)
Internally, there has been no news of meals being restored.

But there's hope - meals have improved on West Coast - Europe flights this month in Y and PP.

Fingers crossed, that’s a very difficult upgrade to achieve even with PP‘s. Therefore, the free drinks and a meal service was greatly appreciated (Kind bars too!)

CMK10 May 10, 2022 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 34226559)

Just flew EWR-LAX in E+. One drink service with Biscoff after takeoff, one drink service without any snacks before landing. I was able to get a free 1Kwich at least but it was still pretty paltry.

DELee May 10, 2022 9:55 am

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 34237204)
Just flew EWR-LAX in E+. One drink service with Biscoff after takeoff, one drink service without any snacks before landing. I was able to get a free 1Kwich at least but it was still pretty paltry.

No food available/offered during the first drink run?

David

Flying Machine May 10, 2022 11:36 am

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 34237204)

I’m a platinum, so for drink service was it complementary alcoholic beverages? Which was typically provided with as part of the premium Transcon service (which I stated earlier also included a meal and a kind bar)

PTahCha May 10, 2022 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 34238041)
I’m a platinum, so for drink service was it complementary alcoholic beverages? Which was typically provided with as part of the premium Transcon service (which I stated earlier also included a meal and a kind bar)

Not in E+ - it's not back yet.

stimpy May 10, 2022 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 34238041)
I’m a platinum, so for drink service was it complementary alcoholic beverages?

No, that would be a feature of Delta Platinum with the complimentary upgrade to Eco+.