Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:29 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 25, 18, 1:40 am

It has been reported that BOS<->LAX will convert PS service as of October 29.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...ston-lie-flat/

However, the 752s revert to 738s on Feb 14th, 2019.

Deciding about a post-February booking. Should we be concerned this is just a trial of the lie-flats, or is UA committed to this for a reasonable period of time?
Old Aug 25, 18, 2:43 am

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by east_west View Post
It has been reported that BOS<->LAX will convert PS service as of October 29.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...ston-lie-flat/

However, the 752s revert to 738s on Feb 14th, 2019.

Deciding about a post-February booking. Should we be concerned this is just a trial of the lie-flats, or is UA committed to this for a reasonable period of time?
It's most likely that the updated schedules have not been loaded yet.
Old Aug 25, 18, 7:10 pm

They swapped in the 752s a few years ago for that time of year (link to thread) but without making them full ps service and just sold it as F. IIRC there was another thread where they did 6 weeks with the 752s once a day in each direction (maybe 2016?). So unless UA says they're doing ps, it might be regular F in a 752, which I got a few weeks ago IAD-LAX for an upgrade price the same as the low end on a 737 (~$50/hr).
Old Aug 25, 18, 8:06 pm

I see a 752 flying between SAN and EWR in November, does that make it PS now or is it seasonal?
Old Aug 25, 18, 8:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Jeffkitref View Post
I see a 752 flying between SAN and EWR in November, does that make it PS now or is it seasonal?
The plane does not make the route PS (or p.t.s.), that route regardless of the plane will be sold as standard domestic service.
Phil Level likes this.
Old Aug 25, 18, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jeffkitref View Post
There’s quite a few domestic routes outside of the designated markets (BOS-SFO and EWR-SFO/LAX) that see planes with lie-flat seats. That doesn’t mean you get better meals/amenities/lounge access. It’s just a regular domestic F flight with better seats.
Phil Level likes this.
Old Aug 25, 18, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
There’s quite a few domestic routes outside of the designated markets (BOS-SFO and EWR-SFO/LAX) that see planes with lie-flat seats. That doesn’t mean you get better meals/amenities/lounge access. It’s just a regular domestic F flight with better seats.
Well it's debatable these days whether you get better meals on ps, but you do get pillow/blanket/lounge access
Phil Level likes this.
Old Aug 27, 18, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Well it's debatable these days whether you get better meals on ps, but you do get pillow/blanket/lounge access
Main course on P.S is usually comparable to domestic F. The sundae is the real winner.
Old Sep 5, 18, 10:29 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
UA247 Oct. 29th and later 777-200 version

I'm booked on UA247 on 10/29. The change seats map appears to be a 777-200 version 3 with quite a few seats missing: 1A/B, 39 and 40C/J, and a bunch at the very back.

Flight 247 shows this type on all dates I've looked at beginning 10/28/18. I'm wondering a) where are the missing seats, and most importantly, b) if this bird really flies, will a lowly Silver have a chance of a CPU?
Old Sep 5, 18, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajGoes View Post
if this bird really flies, will a lowly Silver have a chance of a CPU?
247 is LAX-EWR. It's not eligible for CPUs.
Old Sep 5, 18, 10:39 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Rats. Learn something new every day ... except something tells me I posted a previous question about upgrades on that route and got the same answer. Maybe this time it'll stick.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 19, 18, 10:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Well this is a $60 scam:

diburning, findark and Icydubloon like this.
Old Sep 20, 18, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Well this is a $60 scam:

This is wrong all the time. Like offering paid E+ when the pax is already seated in E+. Should it be reported ... probably. UA selling an amenity that is included in a purchased ticket or the status of the customer is beyond fishy ... but unfortunately common.
Old Sep 23, 18, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum (but I also just pay for upgrades if I want them)
Thoughts on buying an upgrade
Right now the offer is $310 for EWR-LAX
Roughly 10 seats left out of 28 total
I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger but not sure if it will get much cheaper than that
Old Sep 23, 18, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ckidder331 View Post
Thoughts on buying an upgrade
Right now the offer is $310 for EWR-LAX
Roughly 10 seats left out of 28 total
I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger but not sure if it will get much cheaper than that
I'd do it, but YMMV. When are you taking this flight?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: