Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Old Nov 24, 2023, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by UAFAM
From what I can remember they served dinner on these red-eye flights, but I just noticed “Snack”, is this a system error or they actually removed the meal from these flights?
You will get a meal.
UAFAM likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Interestingly, they brought back the "free food" language on the premium transcon section of the website. Then again, the amenity kit language is incorrect (or rather, just copy and pasted from the other amenity kit page).

Also love the random caveat.

From what I can remember they served dinner on these red-eye flights, but I just noticed “Snack”, is this a system error or they actually removed the meal from these flights?
It's normally snack. However, their current red-eye snack is the same as full meal, as opposed to the reduced offering.
geckoflyer, m.y and Infinite1K like this.

Last edited by PTahCha; Jan 10, 2024 at 3:18 pm
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Also love the random caveat.

Confused by their caveat - are they saying not all flights on EWR-SFO/LAX offer premium transcon service?
Old Jan 10, 2024, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Confused by their caveat - are they saying not all flights on EWR-SFO/LAX offer premium transcon service?
from what has been posted in the meal threads, by some, UA means no routes offer premium transcon service
dw likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Website is not accurate.

E+ has no meals. E+ has not offered meals for years now.

All flights in business and premium economy cabins will have a plate; quality of the plate notwithstanding.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I am so frustrated right now with UA on these "premium" transcon route. I recently ticket myself on a 777 EWR LAX in April in Premium Economy. A bit later I did a cabin upgrade to First, which is a polaris seat. Within a few days, equipment was changed to a 757. Major difference in the seating. I then did a change to EWR SFO LAX to a 777 on the first leg, and of course, I lost the cabin upgrade fee, as that isn't refundable. My choice. I upgraded a second time to a Polaris seat. Today, open the reservation, and yet another equipment change to a 777 with the ridiculous 2 - 4 - 2 seating. A completely different product. Mind you, my initial purchase was Premium Economy. That does not exist on the lastest equipment change. I lost one upgrade fee, and would have never in a million years chose a 777 with the 2-4-2 seating. I realize things change, but this is a bit much, and I have twice paid a cabin upgrade. They won't budge and allow another change.

Be careful when you think you're getting a polaris equiped aircraft on a transcon. They just won't budge in giving me a break after multiple changes, and I've thrown away almost $1000 in cabin upgrades to a cabin that I"m not flying in. ugh.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 7:25 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
I am so frustrated right now with UA on these "premium" transcon route. I recently ticket myself on a 777 EWR LAX in April in Premium Economy. A bit later I did a cabin upgrade to First, which is a polaris seat. Within a few days, equipment was changed to a 757. Major difference in the seating. I then did a change to EWR SFO LAX to a 777 on the first leg, and of course, I lost the cabin upgrade fee, as that isn't refundable. My choice. I upgraded a second time to a Polaris seat. Today, open the reservation, and yet another equipment change to a 777 with the ridiculous 2 - 4 - 2 seating. A completely different product. Mind you, my initial purchase was Premium Economy. That does not exist on the lastest equipment change. I lost one upgrade fee, and would have never in a million years chose a 777 with the 2-4-2 seating. I realize things change, but this is a bit much, and I have twice paid a cabin upgrade. They won't budge and allow another change.

Be careful when you think you're getting a polaris equiped aircraft on a transcon. They just won't budge in giving me a break after multiple changes, and I've thrown away almost $1000 in cabin upgrades to a cabin that I"m not flying in. ugh.
You can request a refund for the first upgrade fee.

Confused about throwing away the second upgrade fee - you're cancelling the flight because it's a domestic 777?
Old Jan 11, 2024, 9:31 am

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
You can request a refund for the first upgrade fee.

Confused about throwing away the second upgrade fee - you're cancelling the flight because it's a domestic 777?
I'm not going throw away the second upgrade, but I would have never paid for it if I had known the equipment. I did if for the Polaris seat both times. If I had known it would be the 2-4-2 horrible busines class arrangement, I would have never paid the upgrade fee. Actually, I would rather be on a 757 in Y than on this plane. I just think it's awful how UA won't budge in assisting with changes with just a dramatic change in seating options.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 3:34 pm

I'm not going throw away the second upgrade, but I would have never paid for it if I had known the equipment. I did if for the Polaris seat both times. If I had known it would be the 2-4-2 horrible busines class arrangement, I would have never paid the upgrade fee. Actually, I would rather be on a 757 in Y than on this plane. I just think it's awful how UA won't budge in assisting with changes with just a dramatic change in seating options.
We had a 10am flight on a Premium Economy seat for Newark around Thanksgiving. They downgraded the plane to a 757, and moved us to economy. I was able to get them to move us to a later 777 flight, but not an earlier one the previous day (only center PE seats on the same day). They'd do it but charge us the fare difference.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 8:32 pm

It's normally snack. However, their current red-eye snack is the same as full meal, as opposed to the reduced offering.
I would take snack over this:

dw likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 11:13 pm

What is that?
Old Jan 11, 2024, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is that?
The same sad chicken, polenta, broccoli dish on eastbound flights for years now.
SPN Lifer and Infinite1K like this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 11:24 pm

Judging by your handle, it sounds like you are based in Jersey, so flying out JFK might not work as well as EWR.

However if you can go with JFK, flying AA is such a better experience.

Seats
AA does have 2-2 configuration, but that will be better than United 752 and 777HD. Even though the seats are similar to 752, since the Airbus has a wider fuselage, the non bulkhead seats have much bigger wedges for the footwell than on UA 752.
Also, it’s not uncommon to get an op-up to AA First in which case the 1-1 configuration is so much more spacious than what you’ll get on United.

Onboard Service
AA catering is better than what United offers. Everything from a proper pre-order (none of this options not being available during pre-order), printed menus, bread basket, entree served seperately and larger portions (even the nuts ramekin is bigger). And AA has the snack basket and pre-landing baked cookies.

Lounges
AA Flagship/Greenwich lounges are much better than United Club. And again if you get the op-up upgrade to First, you can use the Chelsea/Soho lounge at JFK which is arguably better than Polaris Lounges and not as busy.
Kacee, econ and Repooc17 like this.

Last edited by Infinite1K; Jan 12, 2024 at 9:50 am
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:05 am
Original Member

There is literally a thread complaining about the opposite: United cutting first class meal service on flights less than 900 miles? (now "snack")

Originally Posted by Repooc17
The same sad chicken, polenta, broccoli dish on eastbound flights for years now.
They now flip direction every month, but yes the same transcon chicken special that has been ongoing since March 2020. For Jan 2024, chicken/polenta/broccolini combo is on westbound flights.

So if the itinerary crosses over into a different month, you end up with the same meal choices both directions.

Fortunately, they now have additional pre-order options, so hopefully that will provide some relief of serving the same options for almost 4 years.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Judging by your handle, it sounds like you are based in Jersey, so flying out JFK might not work as well as EWR.
Sympathies to those in northern NJ who are basically stuck with UA at EWR.

I haven't flown UA premium t-con since I matched over to AA in late 2019. Good riddance.
Repooc17 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.