Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:29 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 12, 18, 8:52 pm

Thanks guys, at least I am not imagining it, other than getting the airplane name wrong
Old Jul 12, 18, 9:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by raccah View Post
....other than getting the airplane name wrong
777-300 is just as correct as 773 (which is just short) -- a more complete descripter is 777-300ER
tstauck likes this.
Old Jul 13, 18, 5:44 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
777-300 is just as correct as 773 (which is just short) -- a more complete descripter is 777-300ER
Not to nitpick, but I was under the impression that the 777-300 and 777-300ER are two distinct and separate variants.
Old Jul 13, 18, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post

Not to nitpick, but I was under the impression that the 777-300 and 777-300ER are two distinct and separate variants.
They are! But UA does not have any 777-300 (non ER) variants, so in this context of UA's PS flights, 773, 777-300 and 777-300ER all have to mean the same thing.

If we want to get really precise and philosophical, perhaps we could argue that for referring to the aircraft and not using the full 777-300ER, 773 is better to use than 777-300, as the former clearly denotes itself as shorthand, while the latter could be confused for a full name.
Old Jul 13, 18, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
According to the IATA/ICAO:

777-300 = 773/B773
777-300ER = 77W/B77W

I've seen the 77W designation used on FT quite a bit.
Old Jul 17, 18, 6:58 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Has anyone seen the paid upgrade cost on the LAX-EWR or SFO-EWR routes? I am guessing this depends on the original ticket class that was paid for.
Old Jul 18, 18, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by flyguy6 View Post
Has anyone seen the paid upgrade cost on the LAX-EWR or SFO-EWR routes? I am guessing this depends on the original ticket class that was paid for.
It is independent of the original fare basis, and is usually roughly $309, although it moves around quite a bit.
flyguy6 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 18, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by findark View Post
It is independent of the original fare basis, and is usually roughly $309, although it moves around quite a bit.
IME, the price depends on available F-class fares. The ~300 price requires P>0. I have an open PS booking and UA currently wants $1649 to upgrade in one direction and ~$2300 the other.
tstauck likes this.
Old Jul 18, 18, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by prometa View Post
IME, the price depends on available F-class fares. The ~300 price requires P>0. I have an open PS booking and UA currently wants $1649 to upgrade in one direction and ~$2300 the other.
I believe the inventory requirement is actually ZN, as that's what it commonly books into, but yes it does fluctuate based on premium inventory.
Old Jul 18, 18, 3:38 pm

I believe the inventory requirement is actually ZN, as that's what it commonly books into, but yes it does fluctuate based on premium inventory.
Ok, so if I am trying pick a premium transcontinental flight that I can get a lower priced paid upgrade to first. I should look for ZN and P inventory on the flight.

This is a good opportunity to use my $400 in vouchers before they expire and experience my first lie flat seat
Old Jul 18, 18, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, so if I am trying pick a premium transcontinental flight that I can get a lower priced paid upgrade to first. I should look for ZN and P inventory on the flight.

This is a good opportunity to use my $400 in vouchers before they expire and experience my first lie flat seat
Yes. Also note that if you are buying your own ticket, you can try a flight, see what the buyup offer at booking is, and cancel it if you don't like it. If you are purchasing 30+ days in advance, just buying the $659-ish P fare is probably a lot less hassle though.
Phil Level likes this.
Old Jul 19, 18, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Natl Exec Elite

I wasn't aware you could use them for buy ups. I thought they were unusable for anything but buying a new ticket.
Benj K likes this.
Old Jul 19, 18, 4:56 pm

Yes. Also note that if you are buying your own ticket, you can try a flight, see what the buyup offer at booking is, and cancel it if you don't like it. If you are purchasing 30+ days in advance, just buying the $659-ish P fare is probably a lot less hassle though.
Also, P fare will earn extra PQD and buy up won’t. P fare also earns 200% PQM. Buy up might get the PQM bonus, depending on where it books. (But don’t count on it)

Findark, I’m hoping you’re right about ZN being the key fare class. Lots of ZN>0 but P0 flights when I look at availability. I won’t buy a Z fare, never mind D, but will happily take a K->ZN buy up for $309 on PS flight every time.
Old Jul 20, 18, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay View Post
I wasn't aware you could use them for buy ups. I thought they were unusable for anything but buying a new ticket.
Can anyone confirm if this true? After reading my voucher terms I do not see anything the prohibits using for buy ups as long as it is on a United or United Express flight.
Old Jul 20, 18, 7:24 pm

Can anyone confirm if this true? After reading my voucher terms I do not see anything the prohibits using for buy ups as long as it is on a United or United Express flight.
If I remember correctly, none of the online systems enable vouchers during the upgrade process, but you might find a friendly phone agent who can take the voucher.
flyguy6 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: