Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2022, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've been doing a fair amount of transcons during the pandemic. NYC-SFO and NYC-LAX. I have both DL Plat and UA Gold. Both airlines have widebodies. In fact I'll be on a UA B787 for tomorrow's transcon. While DL costs a bit more, the complimentary upgrade to Eco + means at least drinks are included. The other great thing about DL is that they also have complimentary upgrades to Delta One flat seats. Several times during the pandemic I've gotten upgraded all the way to these seats from a main cabin eco ticket. You can't do that on UA.

OTOH on UA you can spend 10,000 miles to get up to Premium Plus which is sort of like old domestic first. Which is a good deal if you are mile-rich versus cash-rich.

On both airlines I've been able to buy really cheap business class tickets like 5 months in advance. At least that was the case at certain times during the pandemic including for traveling the last two Thanksgivings.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by stimpy
I've been doing a fair amount of transcons during the pandemic. NYC-SFO and NYC-LAX. I have both DL Plat and UA Gold. Both airlines have widebodies. In fact I'll be on a UA B787 for tomorrow's transcon. While DL costs a bit more, the complimentary upgrade to Eco + means at least drinks are included. The other great thing about DL is that they also have complimentary upgrades to Delta One flat seats.
The DL suite on the 767 sucks only slightly less than it did before they were refurbished. Still way too narrow and coffin-like. AA IMO has the best product on these flights, and also the most generous upgrade availability.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
The DL suite on the 767 sucks only slightly less than it did before they were refurbished. Still way too narrow and coffin-like. AA IMO has the best product on these flights, and also the most generous upgrade availability.
​​​​​​763 being operated mostly between JFK and SFO is not great. I like its 764 (mostly between JFK and LAX) better than any Polaris for the wider seating and space.
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Syzygies
Hi. Is there a thread discussing the disappearance of widebodies (767, 777, 787) this Fall from the NYC SFO transcon route?
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Think the OP is talking about JFK to/from SFO. I fly in an out of JFK quite a bit, and I don't see widebodies being added back on the schedule anytime soon.
Yeah, I was including EWR since OP also mentioned 777/787, and because the widebodies have already disappeared from JFK months ago,
Old Mar 5, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, the DL hard product on the 767 is not great, but as a solo J traveler, I'd still take it over the AA A321T hard product (2-2 configuration) any day.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dkc192
Yes, the DL hard product on the 767 is not great, but as a solo J traveler, I'd still take it over the AA A321T hard product (2-2 configuration) any day.
Yes, AA is 2-2 in J, but incredibly comfortable, with considerably more room than UA's layout on the 752 and really good cushioning.

In any event, I usually find my way into the F cabin
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by econ
The Fall schedule is nothing more than a placeholder. Several weeks ago, there was nothing but 752s and maybe 1-2 widebodies with PE in May/June only to be replaced with the typical assortment of 77W/767/etc. after more recent schedule update.
I also wrote a friend who flies United all the time. He has multiple conversations with United personnel to the effect that widebodies were being moved this fall from EWR/JFK SFO to new international routes.

I realize it's too soon to nab $590 biz fares on this route, but the loss of business singles is more concerning. I believe that I'm the early bearer of bad news.

He did say that in 2024 United will be phasing out the 757-200s for A321 XLRs, and those will have premium economy and Polaris pods. Dunno if that's already above; my post got moved into this thread.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
They may be narrow, but they are a darn sight better than an eco+ seat. And if you are in row one, the foot area is not narrow.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
With the 28J 752 fleet gone (RIP), does UA have the frames to operate p.s. with only 752s? I guess they can afford to dedicate more of the 16J frames while international flying is still a bit down, but I would still be somewhat surprised.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Yes, AA is 2-2 in J, but incredibly comfortable, with considerably more room than UA's layout on the 752 and really good cushioning.

In any event, I usually find my way into the F cabin
What is the difference between the AA and UA seat? I agree with you, but haven't been able to figure out why (it must be more than A321 being slightly wider.) I personally like the AA bedding a lot more than UA, especially on transcon; that could play a role.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
What is the difference between the AA and UA seat? I agree with you, but haven't been able to figure out why (it must be more than A321 being slightly wider.) I personally like the AA bedding a lot more than UA, especially on transcon; that could play a role.
Compared with the 752s, the AA seat is much newer, in better shape and less worn down. Even a slightly wider A321 makes a big difference in footwell space, most noticeably in the window seats. And yes, AA provides full bedding in J, a big step up from what UA currently offers.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I don't even bother with submitting PP anymore on 752s. Last few flights I have had the exit row seats all to myself - perfectly fine having the poor man's business seats.

Honestly, I would rather be in 752 Y cabin than J.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:05 am

What is the difference between the AA and UA seat? I agree with you, but haven't been able to figure out why (it must be more than A321 being slightly wider.)
The space between the seat pods is variable, and AA elected to space them farther apart. The slightly wider cabin does give them more room to work with; I don't think that fully explains it either, though we'd have to see all the measurements to know for sure.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:32 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
AA.com does not give any specs on the pitch or length of Flagship Business on A321T, but according to to Seatguru, the bed length is 75", with width of 19".

Compared to UA on 757, the bed length is 76", with width of 20.6". So they are basically the same seats. I think what makes the difference is the slightly wider cabin on A321, which creates a sense of spaciousness.
SPN Lifer and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 9:16 am

Last moth I booked UA2069 EWR-LAX for April 30 in Premium Economy, but it looks like they swapped 777s and now have me in Economy+. Obviously that happens, but now it's not letting me change to other E+ seats without charging me. That's an error, right?

Edit: I booked through chase into R, but it looks like they changed it to Y. I should have recourse with either Chase or United, no?

Edit 2: Called United direct and they switched me to an earlier flight in R. Thank you for letting me scream into the FT void!

Last edited by theNYCpro; Mar 23, 2022 at 9:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.