FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1719061-premium-transcon-service-sfo-ewr-bos-lax-ewr-flights-questions-experiences.html)

Kacee Jan 28, 17 9:38 am

Originally Posted by monczao (Post 27815158)
2) Should I try using the RPU, or that's a risky game and it's better to just buy up to business? If the latter, is it better to do it through the website/app ahead of time or wait until gate and do it there? How much does it cost to upgrade with cash?

I've concluded it's best just to purchase the advance P fare at $649 each way. There is an advance purchase requirement, which varies.

findark Jan 28, 17 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by jr0ck (Post 27828901)
The one thing that United does right is those gosh durn cookies they bake in first. SO GOOD! Does anyone know which brand? Otis Spunkmeyer?

Advertised as Otis Spunkmeyer although website is always a dubious source. They're decent although I prefer the Christie Cookie Co. ones that are served on Express flights :o

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 27829984)
I've concluded it's best just to purchase the advance P fare at $649 each way. There is an advance purchase requirement, which varies.

Up to $664 at a 30-day AP now. They bumped it $10 and then $5 a week later this quarter... it's like they hope we don't notice.

Kacee Jan 28, 17 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 27832400)
Up to $664 at a 30-day AP now. They bumped it $10 and then $5 a week later this quarter... it's like they hope we don't notice.

I find the lack of R availability much more upsetting . . . .

findark Jan 28, 17 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 27832583)
I find the lack of R availability much more upsetting . . . .

Yes, although I also never fail to be astounded how many over-$1k fares they sell. My backup is always something like SFO-IAH-LGA where I can fly the 789 for half of it, get notably more PQM, and it's still less than $650 all the way up to T-7.

PsiFighter37 Feb 7, 17 11:16 am

Delta is now serving free meals I need Y on JFK-SFO/LAX...wonder if UA will follow or not...

FTLexMUC Feb 7, 17 11:26 am

How to get on UG waitlist within 24h?

What is the right way to apply a GPU/RPU to get added to UG standby list within 24h of departure?

when doing SDC waitlist often does not carry over

i guess this is a general GPU question but also relevant for PS flights.

Kacee Feb 7, 17 11:33 am

Originally Posted by FTLexMUC (Post 27877537)
What is the right way to apply a GPU/RPU to get added to UG standby list within 24h of departure?

Not allowed under the rules. New waitlist requests may only be made outside of T-24. A very helpful agent might violate the rules and do it for you.

Originally Posted by FTLexMUC (Post 27877537)
when doing SDC waitlist often does not carry over

It's not supposed to. Instrument needs to be redeposited and reapplied.

FTLexMUC Feb 7, 17 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 27877570)
Not allowed under the rules. New waitlist requests may only be made outside of T-24. A very helpful agent might violate the rules and do it for you.

It's not supposed to. Instrument needs to be redeposited and reapplied.

can I do it at the gate then? Why don't they allow certificates within 24h?
sdc be default is within 24h so I cannot reapply per your first statement, correct?

Kacee Feb 7, 17 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by FTLexMUC (Post 27878943)
can I do it at the gate then? Why don't they allow certificates within 24h?
sdc be default is within 24h so I cannot reapply per your first statement, correct?

Per the rules, you can't waitlist within T-24. You can clear into open R.

Again, a helpful agent may waive the restriction.

mahasamatman Feb 8, 17 10:26 pm

Polaris vs p.s.

Looking at EWR-SFO flights for this fall, it seems I have a choice between Polaris-configured 752s and p.s.-configured 752s. Assuming both configurations will really be flying at that time, will there be any notable difference between the hard and soft experiences?

nycflyer222 Feb 8, 17 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 27884825)
Looking at EWR-SFO flights for this fall, it seems I have a choice between Polaris-configured 752s and p.s.-configured 752s. Assuming both configurations will really be flying at that time, will there be any notable difference between the hard and soft experiences?

What is a "Polaris-configured 752" exactly? If you mean 16J v 28J seats, it's exactly the same!

avi8tir Feb 9, 17 3:06 am

same same but different. but still same.

JVPhoto Feb 9, 17 4:15 am

Same seats. I'd book the 16J. I like the smaller cabin but also if you're in a 28J and seated in the 2nd half and there's a swap to a 16J you could be SOL so would rather not hassle with it.

goodeats21 Feb 9, 17 4:52 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 27884825)

Very little difference. Bulkhead seat availability would be my criteria.

mahasamatman Feb 9, 17 9:43 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 27885648)
Same seats. I'd book the 16J. I like the smaller cabin but also if you're in a 28J and seated in the 2nd half and there's a swap to a 16J you could be SOL so would rather not hassle with it.

Thanks. That sounds like good advice.