Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:29 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 11, 18, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
SFO-EWR is not CPU eligible and you will need a supported upgrade approach (GPU/RPU/miles+copay) to upgrade/waitlist

SFO-PHL is CPU eligible and you should be shown on the gate waitlist if not cleared earlier. You can also use a support method, you will be waitlisted if R is not available. However, I would not give a Gold elite much chance for CPU.
SFO-PHL is a very tough upgrade especially because the 319 is used quite a bit. I used to take Amtrak up to EWR for EWR-SFO/LAX simply for the sheer frequency of service.
Old Jun 11, 18, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by nova08 View Post
SFO-PHL is a very tough upgrade especially because the 319 is used quite a bit. I used to take Amtrak up to EWR for EWR-SFO/LAX simply for the sheer frequency of service.
That's exactly what I did two weeks ago. It was awesome. LAX-EWR-ZFV-EWR-LAX. Reasonable P fare and purchased the train tickets separately. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Frequency + flat bed + easily accessible = I'm never flying into Philly again, lol.
laxmillenial likes this.
Old Jun 11, 18, 9:20 am

Programs: UA PP, AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott LTPP, Avis President's Club
I applied RPUs and GPUs to PHL-SFO twice a week for 9 months. Cleared twice.
Old Jun 12, 18, 11:24 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
I applied RPUs and GPUs to PHL-SFO twice a week for 9 months. Cleared twice.
FWIW, not much better with instruments on SFO-EWR. I think one cleared on a EWR-SFO two years ago (before it was "PS" service). I have NEVER seen R space on this flight but I am sure others have found it occasionally.
Old Jun 12, 18, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Ti
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
FWIW, not much better with instruments on SFO-EWR. I think one cleared on a EWR-SFO two years ago (before it was "PS" service). I have NEVER seen R space on this flight but I am sure others have found it occasionally.
The last flight out on Saturday nights EWR-SFO are good for upgrades. Usually PN9, if not R>0. Same for BOS-SFO.
Old Jun 12, 18, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks View Post
The last flight out on Saturday nights EWR-SFO are good for upgrades. Usually PN9, if not R>0. Same for BOS-SFO.
8 p.m. Friday night BOS-SFO is also great. Usually R is available. Nobody likes the late flights on a Friday night
Old Jun 14, 18, 6:03 am

Flying Polaris on a Domestic Flight

I'm flying out to LAX from EWR tomorrow and my 772 was just changed to a 773. I was on the mileage upgrade standby list to business class, and with the new plane it looks pretty favorable that I'll get my upgrade. What amenities and service will I not be getting as it's a domestic flight ? And I assume there will be no access to the Polaris lounge ? But regardless I'm excited at the chance to try out these new seats. Now to se which seats I should pick. Hopefully with 30 currently open I'll be able to snag two
Old Jun 14, 18, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
No access to Polaris lounge, service will be standard p.s. service. Be prepared to wait a long time for meal service to be completed...the flight will be well more than halfway completed once done given the size of the cabin.
Old Jun 14, 18, 6:34 am

Thanks. Will there be any blankets or pillows for the flight being that it's domestic? If not I might bring something of my own.
Old Jun 14, 18, 6:44 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Check the "Best seats on a 773" thread, as the better seats are very different than on the 772. 9L/9A my favorites (in that order).
Old Jun 14, 18, 6:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While this is an aircraft used for Polaris service, e.g. international J, you are on a domestic p.s. flight. The hard product will be Polaris and the soft product will be domestic p.s. Don;t count on anything that isn't part of the p.s. product.
Old Jun 14, 18, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj View Post
Check the "Best seats on a 773" thread, as the better seats are very different than on the 772. 9L/9A my favorites (in that order).
Thanks I was trying to find that thread to no avail... Can't seem to find it....

edit:
Found it !!

Last edited by Phillies; Jun 14, 18 at 6:58 am
Old Jun 14, 18, 6:58 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Phillies View Post
Thanks I was trying to find that thread to no avail... Can't seem to find it
Here you go... enjoy the experience.

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER
Old Jun 14, 18, 8:03 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Phillies View Post
Thanks. Will there be any blankets or pillows for the flight being that it's domestic? If not I might bring something of my own.
Pillows and blankets for business class for sure. Crap shoot for economy - sometimes yes, other times no.
Old Jun 14, 18, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/Starwood Platinum Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
Pillows and blankets for business class for sure. Crap shoot for economy - sometimes yes, other times no.
Did a RT EWR-SFO this week. Each flight had blankets. Haven't seen pillows in a while.
EWR764 likes this.

Search this Thread