Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:29 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 23, 17, 10:01 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by anc-ord772 View Post
How is the route doing these days? Since moving p.s. to EWR UA demanded a premium for business and was not competitive with the JFK counterparts (especially one-way bookings), so I'd stopped checking.

I am flying DCA-LAX in Feb and at first I didn't bother looking at UA business through EWR. Glad I did however as UA was a good deal cheaper than AA/DL/B6 via JFK or DL/B6 via BOS. Curious, I looked at nonstop EWR-LAX over a random assortment of dates and the one-way pricing is competitive with JFK-LAX AA/DL/B6 pricing.

For quite some time UA was pricing p.s. much higher. Has that stopped being the case?
I just booked a trip in April from LAX to NYC. On the outbound I booked AA which was less than $900 one way in F, while UA is > $1500. On the return, I was able to get a P fare on UA.
Old Dec 25, 17, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by anc-ord772 View Post
How is the route doing these days? Since moving p.s. to EWR UA demanded a premium for business and was not competitive with the JFK counterparts (especially one-way bookings), so I'd stopped checking.

I am flying DCA-LAX in Feb and at first I didn't bother looking at UA business through EWR. Glad I did however as UA was a good deal cheaper than AA/DL/B6 via JFK or DL/B6 via BOS. Curious, I looked at nonstop EWR-LAX over a random assortment of dates and the one-way pricing is competitive with JFK-LAX AA/DL/B6 pricing.

For quite some time UA was pricing p.s. much higher. Has that stopped being the case?
Cheap fares routing WAS-EWR-LAX/SFO are almost always mistakes. In the O&D p.s. market the carriers compete and price-match tightly, with the exception of VX inexplicably demanding more for their non lie-flat seat.
Old Dec 28, 17, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
in my experience P fares have been reasonable, if UA sells P ... Z and up gets expensive. They are doing very well on these routes, now also from Boston ...
P fares are lower, but I've snagged reasonable Z fares (connections, not nonstop) as well for ~$600. UA may be doing well O&D but they are selling connections at a lower price and closer to departure than AA/DL.

Originally Posted by Phil Level View Post
I just booked a trip in April from LAX to NYC. On the outbound I booked AA which was less than $900 one way in F, while UA is > $1500. On the return, I was able to get a P fare on UA.
I can book LAX-EWR-XXX for under $650 each way which I find quite reasonable. DL is often 4 figures and AA is usually difficult to book given my needs, or uncompetative on price.

Originally Posted by findark View Post
Cheap fares routing WAS-EWR-LAX/SFO are almost always mistakes.
The DCA-EWR-LAX itinerary must have been a mistake as it priced at $473. P on both segments. Unfortunately I had to change cities and was unable to take advantage.

Originally Posted by findark View Post
In the O&D p.s. market the carriers compete and price-match tightly, with the exception of VX inexplicably demanding more for their non lie-flat seat.
To my original point, UA was not price matching O&D when they moved to EWR. I guess they couldn't command an O&D premium since there is now more parity. VX F pricing is insane (except ORD). I hope AS can get it under control. Although, by discouraging advanced purchase it does make T-24/12 paid upgrades easier.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Dec 28, 17 at 9:47 am
Old Mar 4, 18, 11:28 am

What are the late night snacks like nowadays? I have an upcoming SFO-EWR redeye that leaves around midnight and I'd like to know what to expect food-wise.
Old Mar 4, 18, 2:06 pm
Suspended

The food stunk!,,
Old Mar 4, 18, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by blackllotus View Post
What are the late night snacks like nowadays? I have an upcoming SFO-EWR redeye that leaves around midnight and I'd like to know what to expect food-wise.
On a recent 9:50PM EWR-SFO, they served us cold chicken and pasta, fruit, cheesecake, and a blueberry muffin in Economy Plus. I had eaten at EWR and didn't try anything but the fruit (grapes/melon), which was just fine. The cold chicken breast and pasta looked decent for airplane food, and it was more than I expected on such a late departure.

I'd like to think that business would receive a more substantial meal, but I always sleep through those on the redeye.
Old Mar 4, 18, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
check the description, if it shows 'dinner' then it is a full dinner. For some of the super late departure is says 'snack' and then it is a reduced offering. Not entirely sure when this switches over but 10 p.m. seems to be dinner and midnight snack in most of my recent flights.
Old Mar 4, 18, 9:52 pm

check the description, if it shows 'dinner' then it is a full dinner. For some of the super late departure is says 'snack' and then it is a reduced offering. Not entirely sure when this switches over but 10 p.m. seems to be dinner and midnight snack in most of my recent flights.
Yep, it says "Snack". I haven't flown this flight in at least a year and last time I remember getting a sandwich and a salad and perhaps something else as well. Now I'm wondering if Kirby and co have made any cuts to the product. I won't be eating a normal dinner that day so I'm trying to plan out how much to eat in the airport vs how much to eat onboard.
Old Mar 8, 18, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I typically take the SFO-EWR/BOS-SFO flight in the morning but I thought others posted that departures after 9pm are "snack" flights and dinner prior to 9pm. I am sure someone will correct me if this is wrong.
Old Mar 8, 18, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yep, it says "Snack". I haven't flown this flight in at least a year and last time I remember getting a sandwich and a salad and perhaps something else as well. Now I'm wondering if Kirby and co have made any cuts to the product. I won't be eating a normal dinner that day so I'm trying to plan out how much to eat in the airport vs how much to eat onboard.
Last I've heard, Snack is usually a sandwich or salad - in the past it has been the 1K burger or a calzone. Personally if you want a dinner's worth of food, I would combine the Snack service with lounge grazing (soup, mostly). Or better yet, eat a real dinner in the airport and go to sleep right at the double-ding.
Old Mar 8, 18, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
I typically take the SFO-EWR/BOS-SFO flight in the morning but I thought others posted that departures after 9pm are "snack" flights and dinner prior to 9pm. I am sure someone will correct me if this is wrong.
that seems to be the case now. All my recent ones have been slightly before 9 p.m. and they had full dinner. Looking at the summer schedule it indeed looks like it is 9 p.m.
Old Mar 24, 18, 4:02 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Flying in June EWR to SFO. Can take 8:30am flight on domestic 777 or 9am flight on 752. Which is better for business clsss as they have 2 different seat options.
Old Mar 24, 18, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Does the 777 have any decent business seats left? The 777 has middle seats in business, whereas the 757 is just windows and aisles. The 757 has two configs, the one with one business cabin with 16 business seats (16J), and the one with two business cabins, 28 business seats total (28J). The seats are the same except the 28J version has two bulkhead rows. Bulkhead rows have wider footwells than the other rows.

The 777's seats are narrower (19") than the 757s seats (21"). The 777 is 2-4-2 in business, and the 757 is 2-2 in business

Last edited by diburning; Mar 24, 18 at 4:18 pm
Old Mar 24, 18, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COEWR2587 View Post
Flying in June EWR to SFO. Can take 8:30am flight on domestic 777 or 9am flight on 752. Which is better for business clsss as they have 2 different seat options.
I’d take any version of the 752 vs the sardine can 777 every time. Much more personal space.
ContinentalFan likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 24, 18 at 6:55 pm
Old Mar 24, 18, 7:49 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum; Delta Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post

I’d take any version of the 752 vs the sardine can 777 every time. Much more personal space.
Agree. The 777 has no storage space behind while the 752 does. I booked a flight for May 1 and could have upgraded at booking to Business on the 777. Instead I chose to fly coach on a 752 with a waitlisted upgrade that probably won't clear. I don't want to waste an RPU on a 777 where you're practically as cramped in a Business seat as in a coach exit row seat on a 752.
ContinentalFan likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: