Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:29 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 29, 17, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Is there an official policy on the alcoholic beverages in economy plus?
I got cut off on my third ask when they pushed the cart around. The FA told me she would have to start charging since I already had 2, but turned around and told the other FA I had 5-6 free drinks already.
Old Aug 30, 17, 1:58 am

Programs: UA 1k Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
Worth a try if you have them. Having said that I have never had one clear on this route but I fly pretty much peak times. FWIW I did clear ONE on a BOS-SFO ps route 3 months ago.
I also use two RPUs on SFO to BOS on the waiting list but it is G fare.
Old Aug 30, 17, 7:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
If it's any consolation, unless you were trying to hold a teleconference and needed a private meeting room, you weren't missing much at the BOS club. The space is admittedly less cramped than the gate area (why they so often put 2 or 3 banked departures side by side when they have 8+ gates, I do not understand). But I usually skip it.
Admittedly there may be a bit of wounded hometown pride involved here, but I couldn't disagree more about the BOS UC. I find the spectacular runway views, lovely decor, and consistent lack of crowding make it among the best UCs in the nation. Of course there aren't upgraded food options as at ORD, but otherwise it's top-notch.
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 17, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL/UA G (SC/UC), Marriott LTP, Hyatt Exp, Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone View Post
Admittedly there may be a bit of wounded hometown pride involved here, but I couldn't disagree more about the BOS UC. I find the spectacular runway views, lovely decor, and consistent lack of crowding make it among the best UCs in the nation. Of course there aren't upgraded food options as at ORD, but otherwise it's top-notch.
^ The BOS UC is far and away one of the better UCs in the system. Given sufficient time, I'll walk over to and use the UC before I use either of the Admiral's Clubs in B.

I've only taken the service for one r/t between BOS and SFO thus far, but my experience led me to believe that from a "gate to gate" perspective, from BOS to SFO, UA is no. 1, with DL no.2 and B6 coming out at the bottom for a variety of reasons. One reason I would offer is that a nice lounge certainly contributes to the overall experience, which B6 lacks almost entirely, and while DL does measure up, they lack the frequency of UA.
diburning likes this.
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Go to BOS UC club often. While I do like it and its location it can often be CROWDED. I have even at times found it difficult to find two seats together. Obviously this is somewhat dependent on the time of day and what flights are departing (or arriving). Food options are pretty typical, as above no "upgraded" offering as in ORD>
Old Aug 30, 17, 1:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Go to BOS UC club often. While I do like it and its location it can often be CROWDED. I have even at times found it difficult to find two seats together. Obviously this is somewhat dependent on the time of day and what flights are departing (or arriving).
Huh, I guess YMMV. I've been there dozens of times since it opened, and I've never once found it crowded -- not even when an EWR>LHR flight was rerouted to BOS and its passengers were stuck in the airport for eight hours!

When do you typically fly that you find it full? To be fair, 80% of my flights are before 11am.
Old Aug 30, 17, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Huh, I guess YMMV. I've been there dozens of times since it opened, and I've never once found it crowded -- not even when an EWR>LHR flight was rerouted to BOS and its passengers were stuck in the airport for eight hours!

When do you typically fly that you find it full? To be fair, 80% of my flights are before 11am.
Usually returning on one of the late Sunday PM NS/PS flights. Seems like the neighboring gate (don't know where is was heading) is also busy so with the two the UC club typically gets pretty full. The BOS-SFO flight itself gets it pretty busy. I will say when we are departing it is emptying out.
Old Aug 30, 17, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Took a morning PS flight for the first time since food was re-introduced in E+ and was surprised to have a hot breakfast in coach (egg skillet or french toast). Haven't had one of those in a while, not even on AM departure transatlantic flights EWR-LHR or LHR-EWR, pre-arrival croissant notwithstanding.
Old Aug 30, 17, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by williamqian2014 View Post
I also use two RPUs on SFO to BOS on the waiting list but it is G fare.
I've actually cleared the last couple of times SFO<>BOS on H fares with RPUs.
Old Aug 30, 17, 8:22 pm

Usually returning on one of the late Sunday PM NS/PS flights. Seems like the neighboring gate (don't know where is was heading) is also busy so with the two the UC club typically gets pretty full. The BOS-SFO flight itself gets it pretty busy. I will say when we are departing it is emptying out.
I've actually been inside this club a couple of times on SFO<>BOS flights. Typically leaving on a Tues-Thurs afternoon flight. It hasn't been that busy.

I do wish there was a bigger bathroom like the SFO one where you can set your luggage up on the table to change. Also, it would be great it this had showers for red eye PS flights.
Old Nov 20, 17, 9:32 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
DL announced that all domestic flights (including flights with Delta One) are now eligible for complimentary upgrades. The caveat is Delta One complimentary upgrades will be processed "day of departure". Will UA follow?

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/fre...stic-upgrades/

I can't even clear RPUs on transcon flights these days.
Old Nov 20, 17, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
DL announced that all domestic flights (including flights with Delta One) are now eligible for complimentary upgrades. The caveat is Delta One complimentary upgrades will be processed "day of departure". Will UA follow?

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/fre...stic-upgrades/

I can't even clear RPUs on transcon flights these days.
Basically a PR move by DL. So they will now give away "complimentary" upgrades to empty J seats day of departure.

We all know how common empty J seats are on these routes.
nycityny and JHake10 like this.
Old Nov 20, 17, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Basically a PR move by DL. So they will now give away "complimentary" upgrades to empty J seats day of departure.

We all know how common empty J seats are on these routes.
But it would give UA one more mechanism to prioritize GS over everyone else...
Old Dec 23, 17, 2:01 am

How is the route doing these days? Since moving p.s. to EWR UA demanded a premium for business and was not competitive with the JFK counterparts (especially one-way bookings), so I'd stopped checking.

I am flying DCA-LAX in Feb and at first I didn't bother looking at UA business through EWR. Glad I did however as UA was a good deal cheaper than AA/DL/B6 via JFK or DL/B6 via BOS. Curious, I looked at nonstop EWR-LAX over a random assortment of dates and the one-way pricing is competitive with JFK-LAX AA/DL/B6 pricing.

For quite some time UA was pricing p.s. much higher. Has that stopped being the case?

Last edited by anc-ord772; Dec 23, 17 at 3:05 am
Old Dec 23, 17, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by anc-ord772 View Post
How is the route doing these days? Since moving p.s. to EWR UA demanded a premium for business and was not competitive with the JFK counterparts (especially one-way bookings), so I'd stopped checking.

I am flying DCA-LAX in Feb and at first I didn't bother looking at UA business through EWR. Glad I did however as UA was a good deal cheaper than AA/DL/B6 via JFK or DL/B6 via BOS. Curious, I looked at nonstop EWR-LAX over a random assortment of dates and the one-way pricing is competitive with JFK-LAX AA/DL/B6 pricing.

For quite some time UA was pricing p.s. much higher. Has that stopped being the case?
in my experience P fares have been reasonable, if UA sells P ... Z and up gets expensive. They are doing very well on these routes, now also from Boston ...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: