Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:29 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 13, 17, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sfo789 View Post
Well, did you make it? :P

And yes -- almost always oversale. I see the 77W regularly take significant blocks as UA struggles to fill a relatively early morning flight with 60 P+ fares.
Yes, easily but what was interesting is that even with ~30 blocked seats, they didn't start clearing upgrades until 23 hours before, and even so it was at a rate of 2 per hour. About 15 cleared before my RPU, so I was a bit surprised they didn't just clear them in advance to free up Y.
Old Aug 16, 17, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1k
just had rpu clear for tomorrow sfo-ewr on 77w -- haven't had one clear on this route (non-redeye) in a looooooonnnnngggg time.
Old Aug 16, 17, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/Starwood Platinum Elite, National Executive Elite
Flew on the 6am EWR->SFO Monday and back Tuesday afternoon on the 2:15 and my applied RPU and GPU each cleared a few minutes after check in. Also found R space available for my 6am EWR->SFO flight this coming Tuesday. A nice surprise for sure!
Old Aug 23, 17, 6:56 am

Upgrade on PS flight if 777-300

On a PS flight tomorrow SFO Tom eWR. I’m a 1k.
The flight is a 777-300 so there are 12+ unhooked first class seats. Will they upgrade people to them or will they just be empty?
Old Aug 23, 17, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jp12687 View Post
On a PS flight tomorrow SFO Tom eWR. I’m a 1k.
The flight is a 777-300 so there are 12+ unhooked first class seats. Will they upgrade people to them or will they just be empty?
There are no complimentary upgrades on ps routes. They will likely offer TODs, and they will clear instruments, but they will not upgrade people for free unless Y is oversold.
Old Aug 28, 17, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
There are no complimentary upgrades on ps routes. They will likely offer TODs, and they will clear instruments, but they will not upgrade people for free unless Y is oversold.
I've seen multiple $199 TOD on this route -- they'll sell.
Old Aug 28, 17, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nottarockstar View Post
I've seen multiple $199 TOD on this route -- they'll sell.
$199 on the p.s. routes? I thought the going rate was closer to $299?
Thanks
Old Aug 28, 17, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
Thanks
$299 is standard. Have not seen many (any?) reports of $199.
Old Aug 28, 17, 8:12 pm

Does anyone know the official policy on club access?

My routing was BOS > EWR > LAX and I used a Regional Upgrade to confirm in First for all segments. Boston United Club lounge denied me access saying club access is only available at "gateway city", which to them meant Newark.

Upon further questioning they showed me a page in a binder that stated club access is allowed at departing, connecting, and arriving airports on same day eligible travel. To me this means I should be eligible in Boston but they insisted that I did not qualify. They stated that although gateway city wasn't physically printed on paper it is implied.

Thoughts? Clarifications?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 28, 17, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by m0mo View Post
Does anyone know the official policy on club access?

My routing was BOS > EWR > LAX and I used a Regional Upgrade to confirm in First for all segments. Boston United Club lounge denied me access saying club access is only available at "gateway city", which to them meant Newark.

Upon further questioning they showed me a page in a binder that stated club access is allowed at departing, connecting, and arriving airports on same day eligible travel. To me this means I should be eligible in Boston but they insisted that I did not qualify. They stated that although gateway city wasn't physically printed on paper it is implied.
This language is a subset of what they publish at https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx which says

A boarding pass for travel in United Business

Customers traveling internationally in United Business may access United Club locations at departure, connecting and arrival airports along their eligible same-day routing.

Customers on premium transcontinental flights may only access United Club locations at the origin and destination of their flights.
In this context EWR-LAX is a premium transcontinental flight (BOS-EWR is not). When you're in United Business on a premium transcontinental flight I believe you can "only access United Club locations at the origin and destination of their flights", which wasn't written in the language UA showed you but is written on their lounge-access web site.

If it's any consolation, unless you were trying to hold a teleconference and needed a private meeting room, you weren't missing much at the BOS club. The space is admittedly less cramped than the gate area (why they so often put 2 or 3 banked departures side by side when they have 8+ gates, I do not understand). But I usually skip it.
Old Aug 28, 17, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by m0mo View Post
My routing was BOS > EWR > LAX
UC access only at EWR and LAX. Clearly stated in the published rules, as quoted by mherdeg, above.
Old Aug 29, 17, 4:27 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
Thanks
On a ps flight today with 17 open seats in J and most of the upgrades already cleared. No TOD is being offered. I would have taken it for $199, which would be less than the copay if I used miles.
Old Aug 29, 17, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1k Hyatt Globalist
It seems that RPUs has no use on this route. Too many competition.
Old Aug 29, 17, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/Starwood Platinum Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by williamqian2014 View Post
I find that applying RPU's even if there is no R space available is a good idea. Been upgraded using this method 5 times this year and more times than not they clear a few minutes after or at check in.
Old Aug 29, 17, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by williamqian2014 View Post

Worth a try if you have them. Having said that I have never had one clear on this route but I fly pretty much peak times. FWIW I did clear ONE on a BOS-SFO ps route 3 months ago.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: