FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1719061-premium-transcon-service-sfo-ewr-bos-lax-ewr-flights-questions-experiences.html)

Repooc17 Aug 5, 17 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 28641568)
They are not. UA's recent move was only to provide a meal gratis to passengers seated in E+. Nothing was ever said about free alcohol. GS and 1K customers in coach continue to get a free alcoholic beverage.

Food and beverages are complementary on all PS flights in E+ seats as of 7/1.

Not all flights to/from LAX/SFO are PS flights, however.

On one recent PS flight, the girl next to me really took advantage of the free booze, and the flight ended with the FA winking at me. Story time for another day.

PsiFighter37 Aug 5, 17 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 28652464)
On one recent PS flight, the girl next to me really took advantage of the free booze, and the flight ended with the FA winking at me. Story time for another day.

Do tell ;)

Repooc17 Aug 5, 17 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 28652470)
Do tell ;)

Girl drank a lot, whisky, cocktail, wine, whatever alcoholic beverages were available on the flight, she probably drank them. She was asking for multiple drinks at one time.

After FAs made their rounds serving food and beverages, I slept for for a little bit. I woke up to her sleeping on my shoulder. Didn't think much initially, but then she became erratic and guarded. I asked a FA for some help, but to no avail. For the next couple of hours, the best way to describe the girl's behavior - feisty and touchy. As the plane descended, she took off her seat belt and lied across all three seats (picture that scene with passengers occupying all three seats...she occupied the middle seat, by the way). One FA did a final check for seats and belts, and came by, not even a word about the situation, except smiled and winked at me.

After the girl got drunk, I learned about some domestic issues in her life; although not surprising, specific details didn't make a whole lot of sense. She needs help.

sfo789 Aug 5, 17 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 28649862)
It's hard to know how many cleared, b/c only gate upgrades show on the list for CPU ineligible flights. Any upgrades that cleared prior to that are not displayed.

While this is true for all non-CPU-eligible flights, it seems least impactful on PS. I clear 6am Sunday and 9pm Tuesday EWR-SFOs before T-24, but for any vaguely peak-time PS flight -- especially 77W -- I've never seen R open or anyone get cleared prior to T-24. Conversely, at T-24, a lot of people appear on the list, and quite a few of them often clear at that point. As a result, I typically do find the gate lists a pretty accurate indicator of upgrade odds.

(Of course, impossible to say whether people are in fact clearing ahead of T-24, but my sense is it isn't all that common, both from my own clearing experiences and from the number of people who jump ahead of me on the gate list even as a 1K often on U+ fares.)

Kacee Aug 5, 17 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by sfo789 (Post 28653090)
impossible to say whether people are in fact clearing ahead of T-24, but my sense is it isn't all that common, both from my own clearing experiences and from the number of people who jump ahead of me on the gate list even as a 1K often on U+ fares.

It's a tough upgrade, but that's just sheer speculation based on a meaninglessly small sample size.

RandomBaritone Aug 6, 17 5:21 am

Originally Posted by nomad420 (Post 28651529)
I have flown SFO-EWR and SFO-BOS (now PS) probably combined 6 times in the last 12 months and have only had one RPU clear and it was on the Sunday AM BOS-SFO run. Contrary to what I have seen others state there didn't seem to many biz travelers on that Sunday AM flight. Just my data point of one.

The last Saturday afternoon SFO>BOS before the redeyes start (UA 444) is also often wide open now that CPUs are history. I had all of row 4 to myself, and the second J cabin was empty except for two seats. So if sitting up front matters to you, and you don't mind losing a day of your weekend, that's the flight to be on.

nomad420 Aug 6, 17 10:11 am

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone (Post 28653905)
The last Saturday afternoon SFO>BOS before the redeyes start (UA 444) is also often wide open now that CPUs are history. I had all of row 4 to myself, and the second J cabin was empty except for two seats. So if sitting up front matters to you, and you don't mind losing a day of your weekend, that's the flight to be on.

Unfortunately that Saturday PM flight is not very desirable for me timing wise but could make it work on occasion especially knowing this. I am not driven to sit up front but on these long hauls I will definitely try for it. Hey, at this point I have RPUs to burn so this is one of the better routes to use them on. Thanks for the update!

sfo789 Aug 6, 17 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 28653172)
It's a tough upgrade, but that's just sheer speculation based on a meaninglessly small sample size.

I mean, for much of the year I fly PS twice a week consistently and watch inventories and loads on the days I am traveling hawkishly. Maybe I'm just missing something, but I never see R or PN open ahead of T-24 unless the flight is comically empty in J, and I know essentially zero 1K and GS who have cleared any close-to-peak-time PS in advance of OLCI and therefore appearing on the list.

As I caveated originally above, not to say that the lists are totally representative -- nor that there are ways I could be wrong -- but that, of all the CPU-ineligible flights, the lists for PS probably get closer to 'true' upgrade stats than for intl routes (where R often does open in advance, etc.).

Kacee Aug 6, 17 11:11 am

Originally Posted by sfo789 (Post 28654660)
I mean, for much of the year I fly PS twice a week consistently and watch inventories and loads on the days I am traveling hawkishly. Maybe I'm just missing something, but I never see R or PN open ahead of T-24 unless the flight is comically empty in J

UA will clear waitlisted instrument upgrades in the early morning hours (around midnight to 1 am Pacific time) so "not seeing R" doesn't mean pax are not getting upgraded prior to the gate.

Again, this is a difficult upgrade, but it is simply not valid to calculate total upgrades based on what you see on the gate list.

diburning Aug 6, 17 1:01 pm

That might explain why fare for Business is so low on this flight. I snagged a one way in Business for a very low price and thought it was a mistake fare, but it's still being offered right now (only on UA444 and only on some Saturdays), so it's probably not a mistake.

RandomBaritone Aug 6, 17 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 28655187)
That might explain why fare for Business is so low on this flight. I snagged a one way in Business for a very low price and thought it was a mistake fare, but it's still being offered right now (only on UA444 and only on some Saturdays), so it's probably not a mistake.

Actually to my surprise it looks as if they've canceled it as of September 1! I no longer see UA 444 at all. :( Pity, as it was my favorite way to get back to BOS.

I'm still seeing a lot of $552 P fares, but I assume yours was even lower?

findark Aug 6, 17 3:10 pm

Indeed - e.g. next Saturday 444 is R9 IN7 I7. Seems BOS in general doesn't quite maintain the yields of EWR.

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone (Post 28655280)
Actually to my surprise it looks as if they've canceled it as of September 1! I no longer see UA 444 at all. :( Pity, as it was my favorite way to get back to BOS.

$552 is the lowest published fare on SFO/BOS.

cfischer Aug 6, 17 3:15 pm

very good service today BOS-SFO. Pleased. Full flight in all cabins ... like all other flights today. Y0F0. Looks like the increased frequency is working for UA

PsiFighter37 Aug 6, 17 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 28655651)
very good service today BOS-SFO. Pleased. Full flight in all cabins ... like all other flights today. Y0F0. Looks like the increased frequency is working for UA

Glad to see that when UA bothers to compete, sometimes it turns out okay for them :)

diburning Aug 6, 17 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone (Post 28655280)

Odd. I can't find it anymore either. My reservation appears to be OK for now, although that means I have to babysit it now. Yes, my fare was lower than that. It was under $500.