Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Non-stops YES, One-stops - NO.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Hi all - I think not all SFO-EWR flights are PS, or are they these days? Is it by equipment? I'm on a morning 777-200 and assume its not PS? But I know there were changes with Boston.....etc.
PS refers to the service on post merger UA not the a/c type like on pmUA.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
YES, all flights between SFO-EWR are "PS" (though that moniker seems to be going away) operated by 757 or 777 with lie flat beds in business class.
Thanks - so the nonstop SFO-EWR 777 in business still gets me lounge access?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:16 pm

Thanks - so the nonstop SFO-EWR 777 in business still gets me lounge access?
Yes.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
All SFO/LAX-EWR flights have been ps since the JFK operation was shuttered in October 2015.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
Yes.
Thank you! Two "1k desk" agents have told me no....third put me on a long hold so I hung up....and asked here.... Amazing sometimes.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Yes.
Does it have to be full fare in J? I did a $299 upgrade on SFO-EWR week after the 773 started and went to club at SFO and they said I didn't qualify for lounge access
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Thank you! Two "1k desk" agents have told me no....third put me on a long hold so I hung up....and asked here.... Amazing sometimes.
Crazy that UA's phone agents can't tell you things like that.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by bhunt
Does it have to be full fare in J? I did a $299 upgrade on SFO-EWR week after the 773 started and went to club at SFO and they said I didn't qualify for lounge access
No any business ticket will get you in, Chalk that up to bad UC agents. That said you really aren't missing much.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:47 pm

It does not, I am surprised they turned you away. Even award tickets and RPU'ed tickets qualify. I would email and complain.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
It does not, I am surprised they turned you away. Even award tickets and RPU'ed tickets qualify. I would email and complain.
Interesting. I definitely will send a polite email.
She scaned my boarding pass at club and made a beep noise and said "Domestic First does not have club access"

I just looked at my MP account and was ZN class. that's business right?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Technically no, I think PS is no longer used, they have some other fancy name...

Reality - they are some sort of fancy flight, RPU only, no CPU and it includes every flight between those 2 cities
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Technically no, I think PS is no longer used, they have some other fancy name...
CCCPTBC. However I'll still be using PS
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I did a $299 upgrade on SFO-EWR week after the 773 started and went to club at SFO and they said I didn't qualify for lounge access
That's crazy. It doesn't matter what your fare class is, all that matter is that you're flying business class, and the BP scan will allow access.

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Crazy that UA's phone agents can't tell you things like that.
It's not that surprising. Their job is to book tickets. They are a very poor source of information for anything beyond that.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
No any business ticket will get you in, Chalk that up to bad UC agents. That said you really aren't missing much.
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's crazy. It doesn't matter what your fare class is, all that matter is that you're flying business class, and the BP scan will allow access.

It's not that surprising. Their job is to book tickets. They are a very poor source of information for anything beyond that.
Next time, pint them at the UA web site where it clearly states, "All United Business travelers on transcontinental premium service can visit our United Club℠ locations..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.