Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by diburning
That might explain why fare for Business is so low on this flight. I snagged a one way in Business for a very low price and thought it was a mistake fare, but it's still being offered right now (only on UA444 and only on some Saturdays), so it's probably not a mistake.
Actually to my surprise it looks as if they've canceled it as of September 1! I no longer see UA 444 at all. Pity, as it was my favorite way to get back to BOS.

I'm still seeing a lot of $552 P fares, but I assume yours was even lower?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
The last Saturday afternoon SFO>BOS before the redeyes start (UA 444) is also often wide open now that CPUs are history. I had all of row 4 to myself, and the second J cabin was empty except for two seats. So if sitting up front matters to you, and you don't mind losing a day of your weekend, that's the flight to be on.
Indeed - e.g. next Saturday 444 is R9 IN7 I7. Seems BOS in general doesn't quite maintain the yields of EWR.

Actually to my surprise it looks as if they've canceled it as of September 1! I no longer see UA 444 at all. Pity, as it was my favorite way to get back to BOS.

$552 is the lowest published fare on SFO/BOS.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
very good service today BOS-SFO. Pleased. Full flight in all cabins ... like all other flights today. Y0F0. Looks like the increased frequency is working for UA
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
very good service today BOS-SFO. Pleased. Full flight in all cabins ... like all other flights today. Y0F0. Looks like the increased frequency is working for UA
Glad to see that when UA bothers to compete, sometimes it turns out okay for them
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver

Odd. I can't find it anymore either. My reservation appears to be OK for now, although that means I have to babysit it now. Yes, my fare was lower than that. It was under $500.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Glad to see that when UA bothers to compete, sometimes it turns out okay for them
yes, intl. crew, Polaris service, wines were very good as well (catering error?).

Odd. I can't find it anymore either. My reservation appears to be OK for now, although that means I have to babysit it now. Yes, my fare was lower than that. It was under $500.
yeah, they loaded schedule changes this weekend ... not happy either.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by findark
$552 is the lowest published fare on SFO/BOS.
Maybe UA had a fire sale before finally removing the flight entirely? What does that typically mean for passengers with reservations on UA 444 after September 1, assuming it really has been axed? Will they be moved to the earlier departure with the option of canceling?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:21 pm

Just curious if you got it on the website or through corporate account or something else? Been looking into seeing where I can get cheaper lie flat seats across the country.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:07 pm

It was a published fare. Found it on ITA Matrix before booking it on United's own site.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: UA Plat
Getting E+ seats together during check in as silver

I have an upcoming SFO <> EWR trip coming up returning on Labor Day. I am a silver member and my companion does not have any status. I'm flying on a wide body on the way back and there are only ~20 E+ seats left with only 1 of them being a non middle seat. If at the time of check in there are only middle seats left, would a united representive be able to do anything to help us seat together in E+ (maybe a waitlist for the next non middle seat and then reshuffle)? We are already on different reservations so I have to call in at check in to move her up to E+ already.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by godbreath
I have an upcoming SFO <> EWR trip coming up returning on Labor Day. I am a silver member and my companion does not have any status. I'm flying on a wide body on the way back and there are only ~20 E+ seats left with only 1 of them being a non middle seat. If at the time of check in there are only middle seats left, would a united representive be able to do anything to help us seat together in E+ (maybe a waitlist for the next non middle seat and then reshuffle)? We are already on different reservations so I have to call in at check in to move her up to E+ already.
No, unfortunately there isn't really a concept of a waitlist for a specific seat. You could use something like ExpertFlyer to set an alert for seats together, or just continue to monitor the situation yourself.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by cfischer
some this week went out with empty seats up front. Monday/Friday ... not so much ... mid week ... great for upgrades
I'm cautiously optimistic about my Friday 777-300ER flight to EWR. Would there be any reason why they would block so many seats except for an oversale? I've almost never seen that on peak flights:

Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:36 pm

Could it be that they're blocked in case of a swap to a 777-200 instead?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Are all SFO-EWR flights PS these days?

Hi all - I think not all SFO-EWR flights are PS, or are they these days? Is it by equipment? I'm on a morning 777-200 and assume its not PS? But I know there were changes with Boston.....etc.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Hi all - I think not all SFO-EWR flights are PS, or are they these days? Is it by equipment? I'm on a morning 777-200 and assume its not PS? But I know there were changes with Boston.....etc.
YES, all flights between SFO-EWR are "PS" (though that moniker seems to be going away) operated by 757 or 777 with lie flat beds in business class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.