Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s. Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom theyll also receive a complimentary hot entre, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by flyguy6
Ok, so if I am trying pick a premium transcontinental flight that I can get a lower priced paid upgrade to first. I should look for ZN and P inventory on the flight.

This is a good opportunity to use my $400 in vouchers before they expire and experience my first lie flat seat
Yes. Also note that if you are buying your own ticket, you can try a flight, see what the buyup offer at booking is, and cancel it if you don't like it. If you are purchasing 30+ days in advance, just buying the $659-ish P fare is probably a lot less hassle though.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Ok, so if I am trying pick a premium transcontinental flight that I can get a lower priced paid upgrade to first. I should look for ZN and P inventory on the flight.

This is a good opportunity to use my $400 in vouchers before they expire and experience my first lie flat seat
I wasn't aware you could use them for buy ups. I thought they were unusable for anything but buying a new ticket.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Yes. Also note that if you are buying your own ticket, you can try a flight, see what the buyup offer at booking is, and cancel it if you don't like it. If you are purchasing 30+ days in advance, just buying the $659-ish P fare is probably a lot less hassle though.
Also, P fare will earn extra PQD and buy up wont. P fare also earns 200% PQM. Buy up might get the PQM bonus, depending on where it books. (But dont count on it)

Findark, Im hoping youre right about ZN being the key fare class. Lots of ZN>0 but P0 flights when I look at availability. I wont buy a Z fare, never mind D, but will happily take a K->ZN buy up for $309 on PS flight every time.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
I wasn't aware you could use them for buy ups. I thought they were unusable for anything but buying a new ticket.
Can anyone confirm if this true? After reading my voucher terms I do not see anything the prohibits using for buy ups as long as it is on a United or United Express flight.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:24 pm

Can anyone confirm if this true? After reading my voucher terms I do not see anything the prohibits using for buy ups as long as it is on a United or United Express flight.
If I remember correctly, none of the online systems enable vouchers during the upgrade process, but you might find a friendly phone agent who can take the voucher.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
you can use it to buy-up into a higher cabin over the phone.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: UAL: 1K; MAR: T
Is RPU close to impossible on Sunday late night SFO/LAX departure and Monday early morning EWR arrival flights?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tetrahydrofuran
Is RPU close to impossible on Sunday late night SFO/LAX departure and Monday early morning EWR arrival flights?
ps redeyes are virtually impossible to upgrade. LAX may be a little better than SFO.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
When did they miniaturize the pillows on ps?

Made me think back wistfully to when these were three class flights and they gave you so many pillows in F that everyone could play Mr. Pillows.

Not very premium these days.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee

Made me think back wistfully to when these were three class flights and they gave you so many pillows in F that everyone could play Mr. Pillows.

Maybe "p.s." stands for "pillow shrinkage"?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:28 pm
bdh

Programs: DL PM, UA PM
Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere in the thread, but there's quite a lot to read through.

Anyway, maybe I'm just unlucky, but it seems like a decent percentage of the crews on these routes don't know about the free alcohol in E+ policy on these flights:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...-services.aspx

I flew EWR->SFO recently and when the first drink service came around the flight attendant wanted to charge me for a beer (I'm PM, not 1K). I mentioned that it was supposed to be free in E+ on these flights and after a little bit of back and forth where she claimed how that was only for 1Ks (the policy for most domestic flights) I finally got her to go ask the purser who confirmed alcohol was free.

Then though, when the second drink service came around I again order a beer, this time from a different flight attendant. She also didn't know this was the policy, so I start explaining again, but the flight attendant from the first service overhears us and claims that it's a one drink per flight policy. At that point I was tired of quibbling, so I just gave up and gave the beer back, but does anyone know if there really is a "one-free-drink" policy for these flights? That's obviously the usual policy for 1Ks on regular domestic flights, but the website I linked above says "free alcoholic beverages" (as in plural), whereas the page that lists the 1K benefit clearly says one-drink per flight.

I've only flown these premium transcon routes a handful of times since status matching from DL earlier this year, but this is already the second flight I've been on where the flight crew didn't know this policy. Does this happen to others, or did I just get unlucky?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:49 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by bdh
Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere in the thread, but there's quite a lot to read through.

Anyway, maybe I'm just unlucky, but it seems like a decent percentage of the crews on these routes don't know about the free alcohol in E+ policy on these flights:

I flew EWR->SFO recently and when the first drink service came around the flight attendant wanted to charge me for a beer (I'm PM, not 1K). I mentioned that it was supposed to be free in E+ on these flights and after a little bit of back and forth where she claimed how that was only for 1Ks (the policy for most domestic flights) I finally got her to go ask the purser who confirmed alcohol was free.

Then though, when the second drink service came around I again order a beer, this time from a different flight attendant. She also didn't know this was the policy, so I start explaining again, but the flight attendant from the first service overhears us and claims that it's a one drink per flight policy. At that point I was tired of quibbling, so I just gave up and gave the beer back, but does anyone know if there really is a "one-free-drink" policy for these flights? That's obviously the usual policy for 1Ks on regular domestic flights, but the website I linked above says "free alcoholic beverages" (as in plural), whereas the page that lists the 1K benefit clearly says one-drink per flight.

I've only flown these premium transcon routes a handful of times since status matching from DL earlier this year, but this is already the second flight I've been on where the flight crew didn't know this policy. Does this happen to others, or did I just get unlucky?
On the website, it says beverages, not beverage. It doesn't appear it is meant to be a single choice of the options offered.

Our premium transcontinental routes now offer seasonal menus crafted by renowned chefs and distinctive amenities inspired by these four iconic cities, so you can get a taste of your destination before you arrive. This includes both travelers in United Business and everyone in sitting in the Economy Plus section Economy Plus travelers now enjoy a complimentary hot entre, fruit and dessert, as well as complimentary alcoholic beverages

Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom theyll also receive a complimentary hot entre, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail, champagne and more.

Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sb3
...Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom theyll also receive a complimentary hot entre, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail, champagne and more....
This is why writing agreements is so difficult.

If the FAs give each E+ passenger one alcoholic beverage, they will have served beverages to travelers. The language actually does not explicitly promise beverages to each passenger (although that is what UA intends).

Not only that, but language states UA will provide their E+ travelers a choice of beverages. Again, choice does not explicitly imply more than one.

UA needs some nit-pickers to help them with their language/phrasing. Be interesting to see how the FA policy manual is written.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 17, 2018 at 8:20 pm
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee

Flew on Tuesday and don't remember anything changed, though I kept my pillow off to the side so don't remember exactly the size.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

UA needs some nit-pickers to help them with their language/phrasing.
While I agree the language in the abstract could be deemed ambiguous, I really don't think it is in this context. Airlines have traditionally offered free alcoholic beverages (plural) in long-haul Y. I understand the ps E+ service to basically mimic that traditional practice. If they want to say "one drink" they need to say "one drink." Which is exactly what they've done when they intend to so limit it:
One way that we're enhancing the inflight experience for our most frequent flyers is by offering MileagePlus members with Premier 1K status free alcoholic beverages and snacks in United Economy. If youre a member with Premier 1K status, you'll receive one free alcoholic beverage and one free Choice Menu food item when traveling in United Economy on any United- or United Express-operated flight system-wide, subject to availability on your flight.
Complimentary Food & Beverage for Global Services & 1K Members when Seated in Economy

And on the webpage discussing the ps E+ benefit, they describe it as equivalent to the premium cabin benefit:

Alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins on all flights and in Economy Plus on premium transcontinental flights.
Inflight Beverages

Obviously premium cabin passengers are not limited to a single drink.

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Flew on Tuesday and don't remember anything changed, though I kept my pillow off to the side so don't remember exactly the size.
Today mine was small and lumpy. Like those horrible old ones under Smisek, only smaller. Nothing like what you get in international Polaris.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 17, 2018 at 8:39 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.