Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any announcement on PQD requirements for 2016 or any other 2016 MP changes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any announcement on PQD requirements for 2016 or any other 2016 MP changes?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by PushingTin
This is what I think will get the FF programs in trouble. When someone figures out that UA (in this case) is essentially giving a kick back from business money for personal use. Make an employer pay for INTL biz/GF and we'll upgrade you on all your personal flights. In most industries, that would get you fired and maybe even put in jail. Accumulating miles is one thing. Getting upgrades for being a FF are another level. GS becomes almost a quid-pro-quo due to the high level of correlation.
TentacleSNR gets paid a flat fee for his services as a contractor and pays for his flights out of his own pocket
He fly's GF because its cheaper than charter and he wants privacy and sleep as when he gets to the client in distress he might not get any sleep for 2+ days

But yeah... agree it would be a dodgy thing otherwise....
Old Oct 30, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Related to the levels and reducing the head count of elites, we often talk about bequeathed GSers, but are there anointed 1Ks and Plats? Sometimes I talk to other people in BG1, not in F, that seem like they don't fly enough, especially on UA. To me, I have to have about 70% travel with about three TATL/TPACs to hit 1K- and that is based in DEN where pretty much everything is a good haul away.

Are raising the bar on one hand and gifting out with the other?
You know, this is a good question. My flying is IAD-DEN and IAD-BOS for the most part, so it takes me a lot to hit 1K. I also talk to folks in BG1 who say things like "I avoid United whenever I can" and act like they haven't been on a United flight in a while, not knowing how things work, etc.

Maybe the problem with 1K is that it's being given out somewhere like candy?

TBH, I wish AA or DL had nonstops IAD/DEN. I would definitely give them a try next year. I hear such nice things about the AA elite program. I hear folks saying no way they're going to up the PQD rates or other things, but I can't believe anyone thinks MileagePlus is going anywhere positive.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM

Last edited by porciuscato; Dec 3, 2015 at 2:34 pm
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Companies that get the Pass Plus deal get a certain number of 1K memberships thrown in as well as GS. I can't remember the specific numbers, but for $500K you get one GS and something like 5 1Ks.
And the right way to think about this is person-trips, not persons. One hopes these 1Ks end up with people who don't use the status that much, in which case this issue is a yawner. My impression is that we're flooded with natural 1Ks like myself, while United dilutes benefits.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Syzygies
And the right way to think about this is person-trips, not persons. One hopes these 1Ks end up with people who don't use the status that much, in which case this issue is a yawner.
Larry Kellner used to call this kind f status "wallet candy."
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kmxu
The PQD bump was announced on Nov. 13, 2014.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...6k-9k-12k.html
It's really annoying that they wait this long. I still haven't bought a single ticket for next year and won't buy one until the numbers are announced. If they go up I'm out
Old Oct 31, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Marin 1K

Third, I must just be taking different flights than all the other GS, as going to FRA and LHR I rarely see more than 2-5 other GS boarding with me.
I think we are on the same flights. I usually only see one or two people boarding with GS.

Originally Posted by tcp1
Being mostly IAD/DEN/BOS, my CPU rate is in the single digits.

I took some time off from flying, but remember 1K in the late 90s even. It was nothing like this. Nothing at all. Heck, old Premier Executive got much better upgrade rates than what we see today. I can't see anything but TOD and GS causing that, but I guess the amount of pax may be way way up and capacity planning has gotten that razor thin.

Don't kid yourselves anyone - in a perfect world to UA, there would never be an unsold FC seat. Their goals are met when there are ZERO CPUs. I'd be a lot happier if RPUs/GPUs worked worth a damn though. I'm trying to get to 150k for those extra 2 of each - and I'm really wondering if it's a mistake.
Clearly UA is trying to sell FC seats rather than give them away for free. I am surprised to see people blaming the number of GS for this. I was on an ORD-LGA flight last month where they had only two upgrades.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
Originally Posted by uanj

Clearly UA is trying to sell FC seats rather than give them away for free. I am surprised to see people blaming the number of GS for this. I was on an ORD-LGA flight last month where they had only two upgrades.
I think this the principal reason, they said they were going to, and it seems they have accomplished it.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by Marin 1K
I think this the principal reason, they said they were going to, and it seems they have accomplished it.
But, as United have clearly stated, Upgrades are the number one reason why people follow a frequent flyer program. The removal of upgrades means that folks will eventually start making their decisions based on other factors (quality, price, routing etc).

This may, or may not affect them
Old Oct 31, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by uanj

Yep, the last have dozen UA flights I took had no upgrades at all. And FC is usually cheaper now than flex Y.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by transportbiz
Yep, the last have dozen UA flights I took had no upgrades at all. And FC is usually cheaper now than flex Y.
I saw a non-refundable more expensive than Discount F yesterday!
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Stirring the pot a little bit, I viewed the source on the MyStatus page. I just qualified for Premier Platinum within the past few weeks (97 PQS) so the page tracks status towards 1K. The visible elements on the page (e.g. what I can see when I visit it) for qualification shows $12,000; however, hidden elements within the source reference "of $15,000", which makes me think they will hike it to $3,750 PQD for Silver, $7,500 PQD for Gold, $11,250 for Platinum, and $15,000 for 1K.

Still a rumor. It's not absolutely explicit within the source.

Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Bruin1K
I saw a non-refundable more expensive than Discount F yesterday!
This is true frequently. I have an expensive E fare that is more than discounted First was two weeks ago.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by phltraveler
Stirring the pot a little bit, I viewed the source on the MyStatus page. I just qualified for Premier Platinum within the past few weeks (97 PQS) so the page tracks status towards 1K. The visible elements on the page (e.g. what I can see when I visit it) for qualification shows $12,000; however, hidden elements within the source reference "of $15,000", which makes me think they will hike it to $3,750 PQD for Silver, $7,500 PQD for Gold, $11,250 for Platinum, and $15,000 for 1K.

Still a rumor. It's not absolutely explicit within the source.

Eh. I just took a look at the source as well. I unhid the div just to see what it looked like and where it would be positioned. It looks like it might pertain to something completely different than PQD as it appears to render above your PQS/PQM/PQD summary.

In addition, the class naming convention of "ftmc" leads me to believe that it is related to something with that acronym. Is there anybody smarter than me on United-related stuff that could think of a potential meaning of FTMC? Or maybe a $15K gate that already exists?

My guess, given the FT at the beginning, is an increased PQD amount for people who complain on FlyerTalk.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by rmlanman
Eh. I just took a look at the source as well. I unhid the div just to see what it looked like and where it would be positioned. It looks like it might pertain to something completely different than PQD as it appears to render above your PQS/PQM/PQD summary.
Great minds think alike. The exact positioning may be due to the fact that it's a mockup/not rolled out yet and they just put it above the currently relevant content.

In addition, the class naming convention of "ftmc" leads me to believe that it is related to something with that acronym. Is there anybody smarter than me on United-related stuff that could think of a potential meaning of FTMC? Or maybe a $15K gate that already exists?
GS maybe? There's relevant portions in the no-cached content (e.g. name, mileage amounts, MP account #, etc. that reference GS challenges.

FT makes me think frequent traveler, M makes me think mileage. The C, I have no idea what to do with. But this is purely speculation.

"MC" might also stand for "Mileage challenge"... again, speculation. That would make sense with the "days left", as for a challenge that would be a good thing to know, for yearly qualification most people can do the mental math on December 31st.

My guess, given the FT at the beginning, is an increased PQD amount for people who complain on FlyerTalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.