Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any announcement on PQD requirements for 2016 or any other 2016 MP changes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any announcement on PQD requirements for 2016 or any other 2016 MP changes?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by luckypierre
Shouldn't this question be in the Delta forum?
I see what you did there lol.

Seriously uf they up the PQD thing I am outta here. As it sits I'll have a tough time making Gold this year due to employer cytbacks and requiring lowest fare purchased.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by chavala
wow I had no idea is was announced so late in the year. considering we can already book flights through Sep, that's pretty bad.
People booking flights 330 days out are exactly the people the new FF programs are aimed to cull benefits.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
People booking flights 330 days out are exactly the people the new FF programs are aimed to cull benefits.
Not sure I understand that. Could you elaborate?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by JBord
I'd really like to see a system that rewards spend more than, or at least equally to, miles. Both are important measures of loyalty,
While it doesn't apply to me personally, I agree with the above. There are many people that are flying loyally 3,4,5 days per week on routes that are all leisure or have direct WN competition etc, and as such the fares are never high. These folks may fly way more than 100,000 per year, yet come nowhere close to the 12,000 spend. Therefore despite their absolute loyalty, they get nada.

Then you get one person with zero loyalty who has to buy a few expensive tickets and United rolls out the farm for them, despite the fact they give no loyalty.

Furthermore, a high majority of GS members get it comped and have zero loyalty, yet the massively out rank those with loyalty.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
It was a real stretch for me to be able to hit $12K this year and 100K miles ( I hope I will make it...) but next year I may be switching to SEA-SLC runs later in the year so likely to go to AS. I will need to know before 1/1 so I know where to place my spend for the first part of the year (and status match). If UA raises it anything more above $12K I think I will be out for next year. I can still do SEA-IAH on AS if I know that's where I will need to run most of the year, unfortunately the outbound flight timing does not work for me.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
That was a 20 percent increase for 1K PQD last year. How many other products see a similar increase year over year?

I would hope UA doesn't raise it any further. The "changes we are going to like" have not justified the higher prices - and my upgrade clearance has decreased dramatically. This is the time UA needs to take a breather and do better before squeezing customers any further.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PremExecSNA
That was a 20 percent increase for 1K PQD last year. How many other products see a similar increase year over year?

I would hope UA doesn't raise it any further. The "changes we are going to like" have not justified the higher prices - and my upgrade clearance has decreased dramatically. This is the time UA needs to take a breather and do better before squeezing customers any further.
They can raise it all they want for all I care. I'm done chasing status on UA - or any airline, for that matter. When you keep moving the target like United has done, it becomes patently obvious that they aren't using MP to engender customer loyalty.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
I was going to post something on the Oscar's new customer feedback site but have refrained...sentiments have been echoed here already...in my state I fly 60% work (cheapest fares possible) and 40% leisure. While I'll hit 100k-125k BIS miles this year won't come close to spending $9k this year so won't even be Plat this year. I know it complicates things even more but too bad there isn't a threshold of if you fly X miles over each tier but spend Y you still have a chance of Plat, 1K, etc.

I guess spending $25k on UA branded cards is that avenue to avoid the PQD up to Plat.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Not fair that 14K would've earned me silver if I wasn't MM
Of course its fair. You knew what you signed up for.

Just as its not fair someone spent $11998, and flew 120k miles without the benefit of OPM/expensed flying, and ended up only Plat.

Only system that would be fair is if the actual spender got rewarded, not the flyer.
A client buys you a ticket - a client gets the credit for the PQDs

Last edited by rankourabu; Oct 22, 2015 at 2:37 pm
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Life's not fair. The rules are the rules. And FT exists to help us play them.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Yes, I don't understand either.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Bruin1K
Yes, I don't understand either.
That's because it makes no sense
Old Oct 26, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
People who are buying fares 330 days out are buying deep discount tickets (actually that is usually a month out).... that is who the system is designed to cut out...

Delta has much stronger pull from the product, and also has some very cheap fares to complete with NK (and ValueJet) so they wanted to hive off these folks from the top tier elite status.

United copied what they did, but because UA's yields are now lower, and UA has (or had) a longer stage length, the UA requirement tripped up more folks, and of course flying United already involves large amount of suffering....
Old Oct 26, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by halls120
They can raise it all they want for all I care. I'm done chasing status on UA - or any airline, for that matter. When you keep moving the target like United has done, it becomes patently obvious that they aren't using MP to engender customer loyalty.
This is the reality.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite

Furthermore, a high majority of GS members get it comped and have zero loyalty, yet the massively out rank those with loyalty.
I know this isn't a popular opinion on FT, but this needs to be underlined.

I'll make 1K next year even if they up it to 15k, but I don't care. It's been so diluted it's laughable.

I'm gonna come out with an unpopular opinion: The GS program has gotten way out of hand. I'd personally love to know how often the average GS travels. I'm gonna guess surprisingly low.

(My apologies in advance to 4MM and actual frequent flying GS's..)

What used to be a super secret very small loyalty program has blown up to the point where every corporate travel booker is GS, even if they only fly a handful of times a year. As if AA/DL weren't cheaper, they wouldn't go with them. It's payola, basically.

Maybe I'm bitter. Fine. This is my 3rd year coming up as 1K. $21k PQD by EOY (of my OWN money, not OPM) and 151k PQM; $45k on the stupid Club card.. (Don't get me started on the clubs - I've seen more hospitable 7-11s) And really it's not been much different than my years as Gold. Gold is the most valuable tier by far IMHO - basically getting you an E+ subscription.

What do I get? Phantom RPUs and GPUs that never work, Unicorn CPUs, and the ability to check the bag I never bring. A meal choice when the FA decides to bother and the cabin isn't 75% GS. A BG1 line an eighth of a mile long. And precisely jack when I'm stuck in Coach. Awesome.

My wife is a Silver and she'll be $500 short this year - she asked if she should do a quick run. I told her to spend a day at the spa instead; she'll get more out of it and it'll help her more on her holiday flights.

I'm on a DEN-IAD flight right now and according to the FA I'm the only 1K in first, which I stupidly took the $189 buy up for because I hoped to get a meal and some rest. Apparently we have nine GS's aboard today up front - and the pmUA FA is waiting on them hand and foot (got one across from me wanting to "sample the wines".. eyeroll..) whereas I've had to ring my call button twice (and I never use my call button) to get my drink refilled once and my tray taken away after 45 mins.

Sorry for the rant, but UA should just drop the charade and say it's GS or Kettle, put a stake in Mileage Plus and let it be done. This is my last year worrying about status and my last year caring whose logo is on the outside of the plane.

I have the money to spend to make my travel experience better. I want to. I fly weekly. But United could care less. Fine. The feeling is mutual.

The idea of loyalty is gone; so be it. Time to get with the times.

Last edited by tcp1; Oct 26, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.