Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

75,000 RDM / award miles max earning per UA ticket

Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles
Members can earn up to 75,000 miles per ticket, excluding purchases or bonuses from applicable promotions.
Print Wikipost

75,000 RDM / award miles max earning per UA ticket

Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by pviri
Please give more detail
Or don't, and hope no one notices.

Website still says 75k/ticket, so perhaps somehow the structure was such that it didn't recognize this as a single ticket (or you had some bonus, which seems unlikely).
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Op, had you registered for any promos? The rules say capped at 75K per ticket excluding any promo miles.

Members can earn up to 75,000 award miles per ticket, excluding Award Accelerator purchases or bonuses from applicable promotions.
Did both legs have same ticket number? It is per ticket, not PNR.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by Baze
Op, had you registered for any promos? The rules say capped at 75K per ticket excluding any promo miles.

Did both legs have same ticket number? It is per ticket, not PNR.
No promos AFAIK.

I'm guessing same ticket number as both nonstop flights - i.e. just 2 segments in itinerary.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Only time I've never earned more than the 75k cap was when i changed the return leg after having flown the outbound leg and paying the change fee.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by FL390
Only time I've never earned more than the 75k cap was when i changed the return leg after having flown the outbound leg and paying the change fee.
I did change the return online and got charged a fee. It didn't go through (unnoticed by me!). Then someone called me on Sunday from London airport and apologized that my Sunday flight 941 was delayed 2 hours and asked if I wanted to change to the 6pm departure (UA921?). I told them I had already switched it online, to Monday, and this operations person said I would have to call UA reservations. So I did and got the previous change fee refunded and the change again fee waived - probably just a friendly agent but as I said before, this was a ticket in the expensive range to begin. Interesting trend perhaps?

Adam
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adambrau
I did change the return online and got charged a fee. It didn't go through (unnoticed by me!). Then someone called me on Sunday from London airport and apologized that my Sunday flight 941 was delayed 2 hours and asked if I wanted to change to the 6pm departure (UA921?). I told them I had already switched it online, to Monday, and this operations person said I would have to call UA reservations. So I did and got the previous change fee refunded and the change again fee waived - probably just a friendly agent but as I said before, this was a ticket in the expensive range to begin. Interesting trend perhaps?

Adam
The change probably caused a new ticket number to be generated. Thus you would get more than the 75K cap per ticket as it is now 2 different ticket numbers. Should be able to look at bottom of your BP's and see the ticket numbers starting with 016. I would bet they are different for each of the 2 legs.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
The change probably caused a new ticket number to be generated. Thus you would get more than the 75K cap per ticket as it is now 2 different ticket numbers. Should be able to look at bottom of your BP's and see the ticket numbers starting with 016. I would bet they are different for each of the 2 legs.
Agreed. Strangely nice.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by adambrau

Adam
o.k., so that is normal. Not sure why you posted then you got over the cap ... because you changed your ticket ...
Let's move on. Nothing new here.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by cfischer
o.k., so that is normal. Not sure why you posted then you got over the cap ... because you changed your ticket ...

Maybe he posted because he didn't understand that it was normal?
Hence he asked the question.

Last edited by J.Edward; Oct 18, 2017 at 10:39 pm Reason: Remove over personal comment
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Legend717
Maybe he posted because he didn't understand that it was normal?
Hence he asked the question?

I almost always switch my return travel and have never seen this happen but I have only been flying UA for 25 years (though admit the 75K caps relatively new 2 years or so?). Maybe it's just a "bank error in my favor"?!!

Adam

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 19, 2017 at 1:07 am Reason: Updated quote and removed response to material removed by Mod
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
I did a date change for the return. Just checked the receipt vs the ticket number on BP's and indeed they are different for the outbound and the return. Weird that a date change with same routing and no fare difference would generate a new ticket number and hence undermine the mileage cap. But I suppose we have all noticed stranger stuff with UA
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Just under the 75k earning cap: 74,987

Just booked a trip that qualifies for $6817 PQD. That's 74,987 award miles. That's $1 PQD away from the max without hitting the cap. Silly, I know, but made me feel like I was maximizing bang for my PQBuck.
FlyingRobot and goodeats21 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by EAA795
Just booked a trip that qualifies for $6817 PQD. That's 74,987 award miles. That's $1 PQD away from the max without hitting the cap. Silly, I know, but made me feel like I was maximizing bang for my PQBuck.
There are numerous reports of being able to go over the 75,000 "cap". I wouldn't worry next time
But, good job, haha. Closest award goes to you possibly!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
There are numerous reports of being able to go over the 75,000 "cap".
Aside from booking two one-way tickets, how can you go over the cap?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by EAA795
Aside from booking two one-way tickets, how can you go over the cap?
See this forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...earning-5.html

I think people say that if you fly an outbound then change the return to a different date, it resets the cap. Others think they're just getting lucky! I don't know tbh ahha.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.