Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2015, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the earlier 2015's thread (now closed):
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 10:30 am

Why do some reservations show mileage info and others don't?

On United.com, I go to my reservations page and 'view' a reservation. On some of my reservations, there is a section under "Traveler(s)" that shows "Mileage Plus Earnings" including Award miles, PQS, PQD, and PQM. On other reservations, this section is absent. Why?

These are all paid, ticketed, confirmed reservations (not award travel).

Thanks.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I guess I was initially correct about the database having to be updated*A-wide...
Indeed.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by altbg
I had a couple of schedule changes happening over the last two weekends and a couple of segments that were changed to a 777 the BusinessFirst cabin is listed as simply Business and GlobalFirst as First. Is this a recent change? As far as I can remember UA hasn't used the terms Business and First on 3-class aircraft for a while. ...
Those terms are still used for North American flights (even on flights with the lie flat seats). Only official BF flights contained in North America are PS flights.

Originally Posted by drewmcmanus
On United.com, I go to my reservations page and 'view' a reservation. On some of my reservations, there is a section under "Traveler(s)" that shows "Mileage Plus Earnings" including Award miles, PQS, PQD, and PQM. On other reservations, this section is absent. Why?

These are all paid, ticketed, confirmed reservations (not award travel).

Thanks.
There have been many issues with that display, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-removed.html . As to why some still show the info, not idea -- but be care using the info.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:12 pm

I am a lowly Silver status. I tried to use miles to upgrade to Business on my flight from DEN-->NRT-->SIG. I have a confirmed upgrade on NRT-->SIN but waitlisted for DEN -->NRT. There are 14 business class seats remaining.

I am super worried that if I don't get upgraded I will end up in a middle seat in economy (not even an aisle in economy plus!) for 14 hours. Should I just go ahead and cancel my upgrade request so I have a confirmed economy plus aisle seat?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by becknuts
.... I am super worried that if I don't get upgraded I will end up in a middle seat in economy (not even an aisle in economy plus!) for 14 hours. Should I just go ahead and cancel my upgrade request so I have a confirmed economy plus aisle seat?
To be waitlisted for an upgrade you should already have an economy seat assignment. If you done, go away and select one now. As a Silver, you will not have "free" access to E+ until checkin but if not cleared at that point you should also check for an E+ seat.

I you pay for earlier E+ access and the upgrade clears, the E+ fee will be refunded.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
To be waitlisted for an upgrade you should already have an economy seat assignment. If you done, go away and select one now. As a Silver, you will not have "free" access to E+ until checkin but if not cleared at that point you should also check for an E+ seat.

I you pay for earlier E+ access and the upgrade clears, the E+ fee will be refunded.
Thank you! Actually, good point- I have a seat assignment for the DEN-->NRT, it is NRT -->SIN (7 hours) where my seat assignment is in first class so if I refuse the upgrade when I get to the airport, I won't know where I will sit for that leg.

Any idea what the chances are of an upgrade for that route? I am just thinking if there is *no way* then I would cancel my request. The flight is October 16th, so not too far in the future but I heard that even when using miles to upgrade the chances are slim.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:45 pm

... Actually, good point- I have a seat assignment for the DEN-->NRT, it is NRT -->SIN (7 hours) where my seat assignment is in first class so if I refuse the upgrade when I get to the airport, I won't know where I will sit for that leg. ...
"Refusing" an upgrade does require your original fare class to be available when you make that request.

... Any idea what the chances are of an upgrade for that route? ...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ht-2015-a.html
... I heard that even when using miles to upgrade the chances are slim.
Use of Miles is not the issue, since all upgrades for that flight must be supported and there is no difference in priority between miles and GPUs. However, status and then fare class are the key prioritization factors.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by EmailKid
When I downgraded to United MileagePlus Card that has no fee I no longer showed up on u/g lists.
Which MP card has no fee?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:46 pm

My sister bought a United economy RT ticket to Chicago for roughly $300. I did not realize she would go ahead and purchase it already - I have a certificate that I wanted her to use for $175. Can I retroactively apply it to the billing/reservation and expect a "refund" on the credit card?

I know this is potentially a pipedream but figured I would ask just in case!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by nygiants242
My sister bought a United economy RT ticket to Chicago for roughly $300. I did not realize she would go ahead and purchase it already - I have a certificate that I wanted her to use for $175. Can I retroactively apply it to the billing/reservation and expect a "refund" on the credit card? ...
Sorry no -- the cert's T&Cs explicitly disallowed applying to already purchased tickets.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nygiants242
My sister bought a United economy RT ticket to Chicago for roughly $300. I did not realize she would go ahead and purchase it already - I have a certificate that I wanted her to use for $175. Can I retroactively apply it to the billing/reservation and expect a "refund" on the credit card?
Sorry no -- the cert's T&Cs explicitly disallowed applying to already purchased tickets.
WineCountry is 100% right, but... Probably slim chances here, but if she's within 24 hours she could cancel and get a refund and then you could book a new reservation using the certificate. Assumes she's within the free cancel period and that a good fare is still available, of course, but I did something similar last month and the slight fare difference was outweighed by the free voucher money so I was happy.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:11 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Which MP card has no fee?
Mine is a Visa.

Says UNITED in top left, CHASE top right, and MileagePlus Card in the middle above the raised numbers.

I don't think it awards miles for anything but UA or UAL.com booked flights IIRC.

Since I don't use it right now, had to wait until I got home to look at it.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I don't think it awards miles for anything but UA or UAL.com booked flights IIRC.
I haven't heard of that one. I know they used to have a no-fee card that gave one mile per two dollars spent, but I don't know if they still offer it.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:29 pm

Mine is a Visa.

Says UNITED in top left, CHASE top right, and MileagePlus Card in the middle above the raised numbers.

... .
United MileagePlus® Awards Card
No fee
1 mile for $2 spend (I think)
Seem to primarily offered as a downgrade option for those not wanting to pay a fee -- not available for direct application.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ering-old.html (not much info )
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:38 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I know they used to have a no-fee card that gave one mile per two dollars spent, but I don't know if they still offer it.
United MileagePlus® Awards Card
No fee
1 mile for $2 spend (I think)
Seem to primarily offered as a downgrade option for those not wanting to pay a fee -- not available for direct application.
OK, that 1 for 2 sounds right now that you reminded me.

And yes, I specifically said that I wanted to cancel because of the fee, and this is what I was offered (and accepted). And while Awards may be part of the name, nowhere on the card is that written.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.