Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Generally, UA does not do soft landings
-- GS exception -- May times fallen GS will receive 1K status (no upgrade certs) for the first year
-- Special circumstances -- Elite status "holds/leave of absence" (adoption, pregnancy, illness, deployment, ...)

"Soft landing" is where an individual who did not qualify for their previous elite status level is still given a higher level than they actually earned. Such as a previously UA GA is given 1K status even though they only earned Gold.
Print Wikipost

Does UA offer "soft status landings"?

Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by JohnneeO
UA offers soft landings down to General Member to all Silvers who fail to re-qualify. I received one in 2012.
Good one!

BTW, for what it's worth, BA does offer soft landings, ie one level down, to their Gold members.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:05 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
Is MileagePlus doing soft landings? I didn't qualify for any elite status in 2017 and I'm Premier Gold until January 31. Will my status after this date be Silver or will I have no status at all?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Goflyer100
Is MileagePlus doing soft landings? ...
Historically only for non re-qualifying GS.

I didn't qualify for any elite status in 2017 and I'm Premier Gold until January 31. Will my status after this date be Silver or will I have no status at all?
We have to wait and see. But I would be prepared for no status.

However, you may instead get a status buy-up offer to Silver in a few weeks.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:21 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Historically only for non re-qualifying GS.

We have to wait and see. But I would be prepared for no status.

However, you may instead get a status buy-up offer to Silver in a few weeks.
Thanks, I will check my email. However I just read an article on TPG that this offer may be a bit around $ 1399 so it's not really worth buying.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:49 pm

Is MileagePlus doing soft landings? I didn't qualify for any elite status in 2017 and I'm Premier Gold until January 31. Will my status after this date be Silver or will I have no status at all?
Most likely no status. How far off from silver were you?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks, I will check my email. However I just read an article on TPG that this offer may be a bit around $ 1399 so it's not really worth buying.
last year's offer if just short PQMs, 2017 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2016)
If short PQD (even if you have a waiver) it will likely be more.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:04 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Originally Posted by drew in the air
Most likely no status. How far off from silver were you?
I reached 30K PQMs but I didn't fly any UA segments at all.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
To answer my original question - Yes UA does give Soft Landings ...

Just got this e-mail from 1k Voice:

Although your mileage activity over the past year did not meet our minimum requirements, to show our thanks and appreciation for your loyalty, we’ve granted you Premier Gold status starting February 1, 2018 and the remainder of the year. To keep your status for next year, you’ll need to meet the published criteria by the end of this year. Please visit www.united.com/premier and click on Premier status qualification requirements for details.

We wish you success in qualifying for next year.

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: UA Plat, Delta Plat, SPG Platinum/Life Gold
Will United ever cut long-term Plat/1K slack with one off year?

Hi all,

I have been Gold/Plat/1K (Plat this last year) for close to a decade but barely traveled at all this year due to having a new baby and staying close to home. I might manage to keep Gold, but even that is touch and go.

Would United ever cut someone in my position slack and either offer an extension or perhaps some sort of short-term challenge to keep my higher status? I am back traveling now but took almost 6 months off flying so was far below my usual this year.

It isn't the biggest deal in the world, just likely that I would shift more business to Delta (I am Delta Plat as well) when there isn't much difference, rather than try to save my United status. I have enjoyed my time with United so would prefer to keep it up.

Let me know if you have ever had any experience with this type of request.

Thanks

Canuck FlyerDad (x3)
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
I was 1K for 4 years dropped to Gold one year when I moved to the arctic and never heard a peep from UA

I slugged it out and got back to 1K on my own after I moved back to reality, so sadly I think you are out of luck!!
cghall74 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:00 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Lots of reports of 1Ks dropping like a stone over the years. The only retention I recall posted was when spouse was GS.

UA has in recent years offered buy up early in the year, but it as not cheap and IIRC only one level (I passed and will pass next year if offered when I drop to Gold).
cghall74 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
In broad terms, 10 years of 1K leads to being 1MM, and hence Gold (I know, 1K can be achieved in more ways than flying 100,000 miles, but I'm talking round numbers here). So, UA would say that 1MM mile status does effectively cut a long-term 1K some slack as he or she cannot drop below Gold.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:54 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Hubby will make Plat this year but not 1k (he’s been 1k every year but 1 for the last 15 years). Job stuff, out of his control.

Now his traveling will pick up again. Has anyone successfully contacted UA for a challenge?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
6ish years ago I had a low travel year with about 60k PQM but $10k PQD. I called in and was able to get my 1k extended a year. I was very happy and surprised. I think the spend and being a MM must have been a factor. It paid off because the following years I easily made 1k and spend plenty of $. Next year I drop to Gold and I’m not even going to attempt to ask for the same consideration because I have low spend this time.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cghall74

It isn't the biggest deal in the world, just likely that I would shift more business to Delta (I am Delta Plat as well) when there isn't much difference, rather than try to save my United status. I have enjoyed my time with United so would prefer to keep it up.
Deleted. I read on the United site that my answer would not work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.