Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Generally, UA does not do soft landings
-- GS exception -- May times fallen GS will receive 1K status (no upgrade certs) for the first year
-- Special circumstances -- Elite status "holds/leave of absence" (adoption, pregnancy, illness, deployment, ...)

"Soft landing" is where an individual who did not qualify for their previous elite status level is still given a higher level than they actually earned. Such as a previously UA GA is given 1K status even though they only earned Gold.
Print Wikipost

Does UA offer "soft status landings"?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jjoe123
...For our surprise, his status was updated to silver (skipping gold)...
Sounds like he got what he earned.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Wink

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Soft landings, for most, disappeared a very long time ago (decades) from most of the programs -- some ex-GS seem to soft landings, but that is pretty much it.

Sometimes calling and providing an "appropriate" (such as health, family issues), if you can weave a good story, you might get an "one time exemption" to get Gold. Especially if you are willing to say your travel will return this year and your have had a multiple year history of the old status level.
Other threads have pointed out that SOME GS customers have been given "soft landings" when they temporarily dropped down in PQD's but this is rare and probably related to corporate customers. Having said that my cousin who was GS for several years just got dropped down to Gold when his flying $$ fell from his previous high levels last year. He was wondering if would get a "soft landing" but no such luck. I told him to call and grovel and see what happens.....
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, BA, Miles & More Frequent Traveler
Think I know the answer but...

Tried searching all of the threads and United website but haven't found the answer yet.

If one reaches 1K status in a given year, and the next year are unable to fly for any reason, does your status reset to General member after your 1K status expires or are you just "downgraded" to a lower status? My company is thinking of transferring me for a year to the client location. Hence no business travel flights 6+ times a year.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by Berlin_traveler
Tried searching all of the threads and United website but haven't found the answer yet.

If one reaches 1K status in a given year, and the next year are unable to fly for any reason, does your status reset to General member after your 1K status expires or are you just "downgraded" to a lower status? My company is thinking of transferring me for a year to the client location. Hence no business travel flights 6+ times a year.
Goes back to GM. Only "soft landing" I know of is GS -> 1K.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Berlin_traveler

No, under the current regime.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Soft landing for new parents?

I've heard Alaska does this. Any chance UA has something similar? I usually make status by flying J to India (plus some domestic travel), but my wife's expecting in a month, so no trip this year. Going to be a hard fall from Plat to nothing, otherwise.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rishib
I've heard Alaska does this. Any chance UA has something similar? I usually make status by flying J to India (plus some domestic travel), but my wife's expecting in a month, so no trip this year. Going to be a hard fall from Plat to nothing, otherwise.
Nope

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 7, 2017 at 2:46 pm Reason: cleanup after merge;thanks for the link
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rishib
Try status matching to Alaska and then avail of the opportunity. Some status is better than no status. Plus they have a decent set of partners that can take you to India.
spin88 and nomad420 like this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Try status matching to Alaska and then avail of the opportunity. Some status is better than no status. Plus they have a decent set of partners that can take you to India.
Absolutely, I have done this as well. I believe you can submit for the status match starting next month for approval through 2018. They (Alaska) even renewed my status match for a second year without asking (or hitting the required miles).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 7, 2017 at 4:49 pm Reason: repaired post
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
Soft Landing (1K to Gold)

I have not traveled for the last 6 months due to a change in jobs - travel should start again in Jan or Feb

In 2016 I qualified for 1k easily, and in 2017 I look to end the year 1400 miles short of Gold (with only 6 months of travel)

Will United be willing to keep me at Gold and not drop me all the way down to Silver?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bosbjg
... Will United be willing to keep me at Gold and not drop me all the way down to Silver?
It is definitively not UA policy to offer soft landings (except for GS). You can certainly try but without some exception reason, the chances are low.

If you new employer has a UA relationship, you might try that path.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, MM
You can always ask for a soft landing, but you certainly can't count on it. A couple years ago, after a decade as a 1K, I had a temporary job reassignment and only qualified for gold. I asked for a soft landing to Platinum, on the grounds that my flying would resume its previous pattern starting in January. I wrote a polite email at the beginning of the year, and I expected to be turned down.

So I was surprised when, a few weeks later, they gave me a soft landing to...1K! No certificates, so definitely 1K-lite. But I spent the year being grateful to United's 1K desk. I have resumed my travel since and have legitimately earned 1K for the past few years.

I think that the combination of a lengthy 1K history, a plausible story for the temporary shortfall, and a credible promise to resume my previous flying pattern all worked to get the exemption. That plus a polite letter. It was a one-time thing, and I doubt they would do it again for me. Except maybe after another decade. Of course, after another decade as a 1K, I'll be approaching 3MM anyway...
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Why not just book a mileage run or make creative use of same day changes to get the extra 1400 miles before the end of the year?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
Originally Posted by david_oz
Why not just book a mileage run or make creative use of same day changes to get the extra 1400 miles before the end of the year?
Being based in TLV makes Milage runs, creative routing and SDC not nearly as useful.

I have thought of a one day trip to Germany or elsewhere in Europe - although a Soft Landing would be much softer on the bank account.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
UA offers soft landings down to General Member to all Silvers who fail to re-qualify. I received one in 2012.
drewguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.