Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award booking with miles from several accounts, and other questions

Old Mar 3, 13, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Still new to the game but growing everyday!

I'm assuming this is a relatively easy question but I'm a bit of a newbie and couldn't find this style of question answered looking through Google.

I'm trying to book a trip to Italy for three people using United miles in business class. None of them have the required 300k miles alone for booking everything out of one account but each have enough by themselves. Here's a quick breakdown of how it stands:

Person A:
55k United miles
55k UR points (planning to transfer to United)

Person B:
55k United miles
55k UR points

Person C:
55k United miles
190k UR points

Can you tell this is pretty much all CC bonus signups? Anyway, is it easy to call and book 3 roundtrip tickets from 3 accounts and have everything linked with the seats together? The other idea I saw during my searching is booking two separate one-way trips for 150k miles each. Person A and B could combine their UR points and add those to a United account and then Person C has enough on their own.

So what are my options?
Old Mar 3, 13, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, Emerald Club.
Originally Posted by Bigft64 View Post
I'm assuming this is a relatively easy question but I'm a bit of a newbie and couldn't find this style of question answered looking through Google.

I'm trying to book a trip to Italy for three people using United miles in business class. None of them have the required 300k miles alone for booking everything out of one account but each have enough by themselves. Here's a quick breakdown of how it stands:

Person A:
55k United miles
55k UR points (planning to transfer to United)

Person B:
55k United miles
55k UR points

Person C:
55k United miles
190k UR points

Can you tell this is pretty much all CC bonus signups? Anyway, is it easy to call and book 3 roundtrip tickets from 3 accounts and have everything linked with the seats together? The other idea I saw during my searching is booking two separate one-way trips for 150k miles each. Person A and B could combine their UR points and add those to a United account and then Person C has enough on their own.

So what are my options?
If I space (saver business availability) is greater than or equal to 3, then just have each person book the ticket himself/herself.

It becomes very tricky when I space is less than 3 and you all want to travel together and sit together in BF.
Old Mar 3, 13, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
No way to link the reservations together. Suggest to book at the same time with three different browsers. And just choose seats together. Doesn't really matter in business anyways.
Old Mar 3, 13, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
Person c should book via chase if possible, then they won't use any of the award seats available.
Old Mar 18, 13, 3:57 pm

Similar question -- does the new UA phone booking system (or any other non-call-center-charging way) allow a single reservation to book tickets from multiple accounts?

I did exactly that about 2 years ago with the pmUA automated phone system -- after you selected flights, there was an option to use 2 accounts. I booked 4 tickets, 2 using miles from each account, and they all ended up under the same PNR. Does the current, presumably pmCO, IVR phone system support this?

If not, what's the best way to purchase a child's ticket from their own account now that the website specifically asks, several times, for ages and birthdates? Even if it doesn't create issues with minors appearing to be unaccompanied, I don't like the kids on separate PNRs for IROPS. I suppose the way to do it is to book one ways, using the child's miles for both him and a parent in one direction, and the parent's miles for both him and the child in the other. Any other workarounds? Will UA waive the phone booking fee if there's no way for the child to use their own earned ticket otherwise?
Old Jul 28, 13, 1:48 am
HCA

Have anyone try this after UA/CO merger?
Old Jul 28, 13, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HCA View Post
Have anyone try this after UA/CO merger?
Booking award tickets from multiple accounts is fine.

But you can't combine miles and the tickets will be in different PNRs.
Old Jul 28, 13, 9:00 am

Programs: Hilton Hhonors Gold, Turkish Elite, SPG Gold
Tried 2 different laptops at the same time to book SIN-HNL in J for my wife and myself. Hers went through and mine suddenly said the seat wasn't available anymore as I hit the payment button. It was probably due to phantom availability but in hindsight I should have booked it as 2 one ways rather than as a return flight each.
Old Jan 6, 14, 12:46 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Hyatt
I have to book 2 one way J tickets from Asia-USA @ 60k each. We both have 60k in our UA accounts. Is it possible to put 2 tickets on hold and then call in to have them ticketed using both accounts?
Old Jan 6, 14, 12:49 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Booking award tickets from multiple accounts is fine.

But you can't combine miles and the tickets will be in different PNRs.
I remember before the merge I could book 2 tickets under the same PNR from 2 accounts.
Old Aug 2, 14, 7:17 pm

Award booking question, booking two tickets with two accounts

This is the first time we are going to redeem our miles, finally our hard work will pay off! My husband and I both have a little bit over 60K miles in each of our accounts, just enough for a round trip ticket to Europe next summer in economy class. Our complicated route will be:

Boston -> Zagreb stopover
Zagreb -> Marseille
Open jaw Milan -> Boston

The question is, we need to book one round trip ticket at a time since each of our account only has enough miles for one round trip ticket. I am afraid once we booked one ticket, there's a risk that the second award ticket or any of its segment availability will not be available, then we are stuck. Is the 24 hour free cancellation applies to miles and will the miles be credited back to the account immediately? I know we can pay to transfer the miles to one account but that cost extra money. Can I call to book the ticket and ask the agent to redeem the miles from two accounts? Any advise is greatly appreciated since it's our first time redeeming miles! Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 14, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
A good phone agent will be able to grab the space, then ticket the two separate itineraries using your two separate frequent-flyer accounts, in a way that is generally safe.

Originally Posted by MissVacation View Post
Is the 24 hour free cancellation applies to miles and will the miles be credited back to the account immediately?
You do get a free 24-hour refund; it is almost immediate. In practice, if you find space for 2 available online and you book for 1 and then a second 1 online, you should be fine 99% of the time.

Last edited by mherdeg; Aug 2, 14 at 7:44 pm
Old Aug 2, 14, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by MissVacation View Post
This is the first time we are going to redeem our miles, finally our hard work will pay off! My husband and I both have a little bit over 60K miles in each of our accounts, just enough for a round trip ticket to Europe next summer in economy class. Our complicated route will be:

Boston -> Zagreb stopover
Zagreb -> Marseille
Open jaw Milan -> Boston

The question is, we need to book one round trip ticket at a time since each of our account only has enough miles for one round trip ticket. I am afraid once we booked one ticket, there's a risk that the second award ticket or any of its segment availability will not be available, then we are stuck. Is the 24 hour free cancellation applies to miles and will the miles be credited back to the account immediately? I know we can pay to transfer the miles to one account but that cost extra money. Can I call to book the ticket and ask the agent to redeem the miles from two accounts? Any advise is greatly appreciated since it's our first time redeeming miles! Thanks!
Yes you can call and have an agent do it for you but it will cost you. I usually search for two seat on a given flight. If they are available I then book them individually. If for some reason you can't get the second seat on a separate PNR, then call and let the call center re deposit your miles.
Old Aug 2, 14, 7:46 pm

Thanks! Do you know how much is the booking fee if I call to make the reservation?
Old Aug 2, 14, 7:52 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Transferring miles from one account to another is not a good idea, since it's quite expensive and there are (I think) limits on how many miles can be transferred within a certain period. You can call, but there will be a fee. You can also use two computers simultaneously.

But your main problem is finding an acceptable itinerary. What flights (exactly) do you wish to book? You can't have a stopover in Zagreb/Croatia on the way to Marseille/France, because Zagreb is not on the route. Flights from Boston to Zagreb require at least one change in Europe, and the same is true of flights on many airlines from Milan to Boston. None of those changes will be in Marseille; the closest possible airports would seem to be Geneva or Milan. The more specific you can be on your wishes (not your names, but your dates and travel plans), the more helpful people can be. And will be.

Search this Thread