Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can Passengers be Removed from a PNR without Penalizing the Remaining Passengers?

Can Passengers be Removed from a PNR without Penalizing the Remaining Passengers?

Old Oct 14, 15, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA*G MM, HH Dia, Hyatt Expl, MR Gold, IHG Plat

Here are some scenarios:

- 2 pax speculatively booked on a single PNR (to give the second passenger access to elite bennies, let's say) and hold a favorable fare. Second passenger decides they can't make it within the 24-hour free cancellation window. Can that pax be removed without the first pax's fare being repriced at the current rate?

- Passenger 2 needs to withdraw after the free cancellation window has passed. They are removed from the reservation. Will Passenger 1 have to pay a change fee to retain his reservation (separate from fees charged the second passenger)? If Passenger 2's fare is simply thrown away, will Passenger 1 be denied boarding on subsequent segments because Passenger 2 didn't show up?
Old Oct 14, 15, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
No problem. PNRs (Passenger Name Records) can be split to that passengers' reservations are separate. It's the ticket that has the change/cancellation fee, not the PNR.
Old Oct 14, 15, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
No problem. PNRs (Passenger Name Records) can be split to that passengers' reservations are separate. It's the ticket that has the change/cancellation fee, not the PNR.
And for further clarity, even when booked on the same PNR, each passenger gets a separate ticket number (you'll see it on the receipt).

In both instances, you'll lose the elite benefits of the PAX being removed, once removed. Save for preferred seating, which should stick unless an aircraft swap occurs.
Old Oct 14, 15, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This assumes that the ticket wasn't booked as two for one or some similar deal.

If you're concerned, you can always split the PNR first (at any time) and then cancel one ticket according to the fare rules (or for free within the 24 hour period).

Remember that PNRs can never be combined, so don't book separately initially.
Old Oct 14, 15, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by Explore View Post
If Passenger 2's fare is simply thrown away, will Passenger 1 be denied boarding on subsequent segments because Passenger 2 didn't show up?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
This assumes that the ticket wasn't booked as two for one or some similar deal.
This is an important point for OP to clarify. Are the fares for Passengers 1 and 2 identical?
Old Oct 15, 15, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA*G MM, HH Dia, Hyatt Expl, MR Gold, IHG Plat
Thanks for the informative replies, including caveats like companion fares etc. What if one passenger is in one fare bucket, and the other(s) are in different buckets?
Old Oct 15, 15, 10:21 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Explore View Post
Thanks for the informative replies, including caveats like companion fares etc. What if one passenger is in one fare bucket, and the other(s) are in different buckets?
It's not possible to have different fare buckets for the same segment for different passengers on the same PNR. This is the reason PNRs are split upon check in if upgrade eligible and they choose to remain on the gate upgrade list. If not split and one would clear, they would have different buckets, which is not possible.
Old Oct 15, 15, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by fastair View Post
It's not possible to have different fare buckets for the same segment for different passengers on the same PNR. This is the reason PNRs are split upon check in if upgrade eligible and they choose to remain on the gate upgrade list. If not split and one would clear, they would have different buckets, which is not possible.
Are you sure this is the actual reason the splits happen?

You'd obviously know better than me, but PMUA was able to get a 2 pax-PNR on the gate upgrade list without splitting the PNR. Now maybe one couldn't upgrade without the other (really can't remember), but I definitely know you could at least get on the gate upgrade waitlist without splitting.

I thought he reason was Shares couldn't handle having people on the upgrade list in the same PNR (but Apollo could), which is a different than the fare bucket issue, which only comes up if one in the pair are the next to upgraded.
Old Oct 15, 15, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jmanirish View Post
In both instances, you'll lose the elite benefits of the PAX being removed, once removed. Save for preferred seating, which should stick unless an aircraft swap occurs.
So - can this behavior be exploited to get E+ seats when using a 1K's miles for non-premier travelers? Say I book an award ticket for my wife and I together on the same PNR, select E+ seats, and then cancel my ticket. Does she keep the E+ seat? My family misses this previous benefit of using my miles - this might be a way around it.
Old Oct 15, 15, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
This won't work. If she's not traveling with you, she'll lose the 1K benefits.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: