Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Eff. 7 Oct. 2015 - First Alcoholic Drink in Economy free for GS and 1K.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Finally official!

"We now offer Global Services and 1K Premiers sitting in Economy a complimentary alcoholic beverage, plus free wine and beer for all Economy customers on long-haul international flights. "

https://unitedairtime.com/our-storie...des-from-2015/
See this thread for further confirmation and expansion to include food item:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1740529-complimentary-food-beverage-global-services-1k-members-when-seated-economy.html
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Originally Posted by belynch
Was offered a free drink on the early a.m. PDX - ORD on Friday.

While I appreciate the offer, and the gesture that UA is trying to make things less miserable in coach for 1Ks and GS' I'm not sure what good offering a free drink at 7a is for anyone. And for those of us that don't drink while traveling for work, this is all for naught. I'm not complaining, because honestly nothing changes, but I suppose it would be nice to expand this to something more. Even if it was just a bottle of water.

.02 deposited. Flame away.
I think that's a perfectly valid complaint. I can't imagine they're about to offer BoB snacks in lieu of a drink though.

You could always ask for a mini bottle of something and save it for later. (To the extent that they have anything you might want to have when other options are available.)
Old Oct 17, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by villox
This makes it seem quite soft indeed. "Surprise" indicates that the F/A is allowed to offer the first drink free, but not required to. After all, if it's official policy, it wouldn't be much of a surprise.

Unless they mean "Surprise" as in surprise rollout.
IF we end up having to ask for it, it would be like having to ask for a yellow handle everytime, for everyflight.

By asking for it do they limit to people that want a drink and are willing to ask for it?

That isn't 'Surprise and delight' that's more like 'Hope and beg'.

Of course, by the size of BG1 lately, this is going to cost them a fortune...
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines

Snack boxes for 1K's in coach should be comped. End of discussion. Get with the program UA.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:16 pm

Some stations are not very good about providing a passenger manifest, especially for UAX flights. On mainline UAL flights the FA's can use their Link (aka iPhone 6+) to view customer information but UAX flights are left to the mercy of the departure station's compliance with printing an Inflight Final Report.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 3:30 am

Programs: United 1K,CX GOLD,SPG GOLD, Club Carlson GOLD, Accor PLAT, Amex PLAT

Just flew YYZ>IAD>LHR as a 1K and received no offer on either. Mind you, wine/beer was free on the flight to London.

This year and 85K miles I've yet to receive one acknowledgment of status or loyalty. I feel like the acknowledgment that comes with the drink offer is almost more valuable. Mind you, a beer or two and a snack in Y doesn't seem like it should non-existent for people who spend weeks in the air over the year on your airline.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
For what it's worth

On UX three days ago and FA said she'd read a memo sent to her the previous week and knew about the free drink. She said that a lot of her co-workers never bother.

The bad part is when I asked more about the memo and she said it was a limited gesture for three months and that is was ending January 6th.

Anyone else heard this?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1mil. Marriott Titanium
this way they won't need to mail out the drink certificates
Old Oct 18, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
anecdotal data point, on UA1054 EWR-LAS in Y. just sitting here and when the FA made the drink and food runs, i said i didn't want anything because i wasn't thirsty or hungry. on the second beverage service, i said no thanks again, and the FA jokingly started going "ahhh are you suuuuure you don't want a wine or anything?" i cave and ask for a bottle of white because my willpower isn't all that strong, and hands it over saying "we'll take care of you."

free drink! hooray!
Old Oct 18, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Nothing on UA1570 Oct 18

Just got off UA1570 SFO-BOS. Wasn't offered any complimentary drinks during either beverage service or anytime in between.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by spin88
UA used to do this often (purser would offer a drink, than me for my business)
Never happened to me even once.

Originally Posted by enviroian
Snack boxes for 1K's in coach should be comped.
They won't even comp them in F! First things first.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, HH Silver, MR Platinum
Flew IAH-PHL and back over the weekend. On the outward leg, I ordered a drink and was informed (after ordering) that it was complimentary as I was on the GS/1K list. On the return leg, I was proactively offered a complimentary cocktail before the general beverage service began. The FA on the return trip encouraged me to speak up if the complimentary drink wasn't offered, since not all of her colleagues had "gotten the message" yet.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by Baritone73
The FA on the return trip encouraged me to speak up if the complimentary drink wasn't offered, since not all of her colleagues had "gotten the message" yet.
How could they have not "gotten the message yet"? Does UA inform them via snail mail. I do not think so. The FA's should be required to read their email messages from their employer every week. If not, they should be sent to IAH or ORD for retraining. If they are not reading the little things like ONE free drink in Y, when other carriers already offer multiple free drinks for their elite in Y for free. What safety items are the missing? One free drink is a joke to begin with.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
In the old days they could have run this as a nice thing to do that seemed very personal. In the days of interweb chat boards, we can all know and analyze its implementation.

In the old days , if you were a 1K and ordered a drink and the stewardess gave it to you, and winked and told you it was on them for being so loyal, that would generate a lot of good will.

Nowadays if you have to cite a chat forum to the flight attendant to get the free drink, it loses a bit of its charm. We all know what it supposed to be happening, rather than being surprised by it.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Had to ask for the free drink on SFO-HNL flight on 10/16. Wasn't questioned but it would have been nice if they had offered.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by kettle1
How could they have not "gotten the message yet"? Does UA inform them via snail mail. I do not think so. The FA's should be required to read their email messages from their employer every week. If not, they should be sent to IAH or ORD for retraining.
Why are you automatically putting this on the FA?

It's possible the email is being sent and not making it to the FAs.

Last edited by goalie; Oct 19, 2015 at 10:29 am Reason: off topic trolling comments removed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.