Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Announces new Auckland and Tel Aviv service from San Francisco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we are announcing two additional routes out of San Francisco International Airport (SFO), in addition to our previously announced Xi’an, China service. Pending government approval, we plan to operate service between San Francisco-Tel Aviv (TLV) and San Francisco-Auckland (AKL) on our Dreamliner aircraft beginning in 2016.

Check out additional details, including launch dates, in our press release.

-UA Insider

http://newsroom.united.com/2015-10-0...Make-it-Better
United Airlines Made SFO the Best Pacific Hub. And Then Found 3 Ways to Make it Better.

Airline to launch one new Atlantic and two new Pacific services

October 08, 2015

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 8, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines, the U.S. airline with the most comprehensive route network and the most trans-Pacific service, will further expand its global reach with new nonstop service from San Francisco to:

Tel Aviv, Israel, with service three times each week beginning March 30, 2016;
Auckland, New Zealand, with service three times each week beginning July 1, 2016, expanding to daily service in October; and
Xi'an, China, previously announced, three-times-weekly service beginning May 8, 2016, for the summer season.

Each new service is subject to government approval.

The airline intends to operate the new flights with the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, the world's most advanced passenger airplane.

The Tel Aviv and Xi'an flights will be available for booking on united.com on October 10, 2015, with the Auckland flights available for booking on October 17, 2015.

San Francisco-Tel Aviv: Linking High-Tech Markets

As part of United's evaluation for serving San Francisco (SFO) to Tel Aviv (TLV) nonstop, the airline considered the opinions of thousands of customers who petitioned for the service through the SFOTLV.ORG petition effort.

"Providing corporate customers from throughout the Bay Area and Silicon Valley nonstop service to the high-tech market in Israel has been high on our priority list at United," said Dave Hilfman, United's senior vice president of worldwide sales. "Now with the 787-9 Dreamliner, we're delighted to make it a reality."

Flight | From To | Departure | Arrival

UA954 | SFO TLV | 8 p.m. We/Fr/Su | 8:10 p.m. the next day

UA955 | TLV SFO | 12:55 a.m. Tu/Fr/Su | 6 a.m. the same day

Flight times will be 14 hours, 10 minutes eastbound and 15 hours, 5 minutes westbound.

United has served Israel since 1999. The airline currently offers twice-daily Boeing 777 nonstop flights between Tel Aviv and New York/Newark.

San Francisco-Auckland

United's three-times weekly service to Auckland (AKL), New Zealand's largest city and main transportation hub to other points throughout the country, will launch July 1, 2016, with 787-8 aircraft. The schedule will expand to daily flights operating with 787-9 aircraft on Oct. 28, 2016, in time for the peak-winter travel season.

The Auckland flights will operate in partnership with United's Star Alliance partner Air New Zealand.

Flight | From To | Departure | Arrival

UA917 | SFO AKL | 10:45 p.m. | 6:55 a.m. two days later

UA916 | AKL SFO | 1:20 p.m. | 6:40 a.m. the same day

Flight times will be 13 hours, 10 minutes westbound and 12 hours, 20 minutes eastbound.

United in San Francisco

From its San Francisco hub, United operates nearly 280 daily flights to more than 90 destinations in North America, Latin America, Europe and Asia/Pacific.
Print Wikipost

UA Announces new Auckland and Tel Aviv service from San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by jasondc
they pulled TLV as it was unprofitable from PHL. While a pretty full flight, it was full of mostly low yield connections traveling over the PHL hub from elsewhere in the country. PHL simply doesn't have the critical mass of o/d flow to TLV that a NYC or a SFO has. It's that simple. AA's prior legal issues you mention meant that AA had to pay severance of around $16MM to former TWA employees in Israel. I may be off on the number somewhat, but whatever it was, had the route been profitable, it would not have been such a substantial number to put AA off from serving the route.
If it were exclusively a profitability issue on the PHL-TLV route AA could have moved the route to JFK or MIA or ORD or even DFW. There was more to it than route profitability. The amount of the money I doubt is the issue it's that Parker feels it's extortion, and will never pay it. It's the principal of the thing, that's keeping AA out of TLV. IMHO

UA made the right choice with SFO, LAX may have been better on some grounds (787 hub supposedly) it depends on which market would me more willing to "feed" to the other. Chances are UA felt the tech folks in SFO are less willing to feed to LAX, than the market in LAX, though for biotech, LAX might have more of a market with Amgen and others????
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by transportbiz
If it were exclusively a profitability issue on the PHL-TLV route AA could have moved the route to JFK or MIA or ORD or even DFW. There was more to it than route profitability. The amount of the money I doubt is the issue it's that Parker feels it's extortion, and will never pay it. It's the principal of the thing, that's keeping AA out of TLV. IMHO

UA made the right choice with SFO, LAX may have been better on some grounds (787 hub supposedly) it depends on which market would me more willing to "feed" to the other. Chances are UA felt the tech folks in SFO are less willing to feed to LAX, than the market in LAX, though for biotech, LAX might have more of a market with Amgen and others????
I don't think route decisions are so cut and dry, or the same from carrier to carrier. It is probably easier for UAL to launch a new route to TLV than for AA to maintain one because UAL has a larger, more established presence in TLV, has hubs with stronger O&D and more feed, and has the right equipment. Conversely, AA is much better suited to operate more capacity from LHR.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

Do you think these new routes will yield the occasional LAX-SFO 787 positioning flights?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
Do you think these new routes will yield the occasional LAX-SFO 787 positioning flights?
If the strategy of LAX being the 787 hub hold, it would seem those planes will have to get to SFO somehow, why fly them empty? But, that LAX 787 hub plan could be up in the air all together.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by mre5765
That said, if UA is doing this for the tech business then it should add SJC/BLR. That plane will fill every day.
That is 7670 miles, which is outside the range of anything United has since it will have to fight the winds going westbound. If it actually occurs (a big if) it will be flown with a 772LR.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by spin88
That is 7670 miles, which is outside the range of anything United has since it will have to fight the winds going westbound. If it actually occurs (a big if) it will be flown with a 772LR.
There are multiple routes in UA's network longer than 7670 miles today, and all flown nonstop even accounting for westbound winds. EWR-HKG is in excess of 8000mi, and done by the even less capable 77E.

Technicality aside, SJC-BLR will never be launched by UA so that's moot.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725
I don't think route decisions are so cut and dry, or the same from carrier to carrier. It is probably easier for UAL to launch a new route to TLV than for AA to maintain one because UAL has a larger, more established presence in TLV, has hubs with stronger O&D and more feed, and has the right equipment. Conversely, AA is much better suited to operate more capacity from LHR.
I don't see how I indicated anything was cut and dry, there was a long list of "what if" in my suggestions.

Last edited by transportbiz; Oct 9, 2015 at 11:47 pm
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Sydneyair
There are multiple routes in UA's network longer than 7670 miles today, and all flown nonstop even accounting for westbound winds. EWR-HKG is in excess of 8000mi, and done by the even less capable 77E.

Technicality aside, SJC-BLR will never be launched by UA so that's moot.
First, IA is doing it, already selling ticket for Dec 2 start date, so correct part of my post.

The flight is 16 hours 5 minutes block time SFO-DEL and 16 hr 45 min DEL-SFO. (I don't know why, I would expect SFO-DEL to be longer )

EWR-HKG is blocked at 15 hours 55 min, and HKG-EWR is blocked at 15 hours 35 min. Keep in mind that as with all UA times, those are padded.

The reason the flight time is shorter is that EWR-HKG goes east bound both ways, and as such does not flight the jet stream. This also has a major impact on effective range.

SFO-DEL will have to flight the jet stream one way, which results in a longer flight and higher fuel burn. Especially in the winter United lacks an AC to go west bound to India from SFO.

Given the strong business contacts, I have no doubt whatsoever that if UA had an appropriate aircraft, they already would have been doing this route given the low fuel prices right now.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
they pulled TLV as it was unprofitable from PHL. While a pretty full flight, it was full of mostly low yield connections traveling over the PHL hub from elsewhere in the country. PHL simply doesn't have the critical mass of o/d flow to TLV that a NYC or a SFO has. It's that simple. AA's prior legal issues you mention meant that AA had to pay severance of around $16MM to former TWA employees in Israel. I may be off on the number somewhat, but whatever it was, had the route been profitable, it would not have been such a substantial number to put AA off from serving the route.
The AA TLV situation is nothing short of bizarre.
CO and US both called TLV a very lucrative route in the past. The timing of the flight ending so soon after the merger and AAs unwillingness to try the route from JFK/MIA hints to other issues at play.

Perhaps paying off those TWA employees would set some sort of bad precedent?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:14 pm
Suspended

First, IA is doing it, already selling ticket for Dec 2 start date, so correct part of my post.

The flight is 16 hours 5 minutes block time SFO-DEL and 16 hr 45 min DEL-SFO. (I don't know why, I would expect SFO-DEL to be longer )

EWR-HKG is blocked at 15 hours 55 min, and HKG-EWR is blocked at 15 hours 35 min. Keep in mind that as with all UA times, those are padded.

The reason the flight time is shorter is that EWR-HKG goes east bound both ways, and as such does not flight the jet stream. This also has a major impact on effective range.

SFO-DEL will have to flight the jet stream one way, which results in a longer flight and higher fuel burn. Especially in the winter United lacks an AC to go west bound to India from SFO.

Given the strong business contacts, I have no doubt whatsoever that if UA had an appropriate aircraft, they already would have been doing this route given the low fuel prices right now.
Lots of misinformation here.

1. It's AI not IA
2. Block times are not an accurate measure. It's 7706mi vs. 8065mi no matter how you want to slice and dice it.
3. EWR-HKG only occasionally heads east, not all the time. By far this route is polar.
4. SFO-DEL is also very much polar, just slightly more south compared to EWR-HKG. There is zero indication that UA's 77E or 789 cannot handle such a route.

But back to your previous discussion on SJC-BLR. It is 8727mi / 7584nm, so I have absolutely no idea where your 7670 came from or even referring to.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by transportprof
SFO and LAX will both be 787 hubs. Not to say there won't be the occasional re-positioning flight, but I can't see them being regular.

By next year they'll have 787 (-8 or -9) flights from SFO to Auckland, Chengdu, Osaka, Shanghai, Sydney, Taipei, Tel Aviv, and Tokyo Haneda.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txflyer77
Due to prior legal issues in Israel, AA cancelled the pmUS PHL-TLV flight after the merger was completed.
Not even close.

The merger closed on Dec 9, 2013, a single operating certificate was issued on Apr 7, 2015, and yet the route cancellation wasn't announced until Aug 20, 2015. The flight continues until Jan 4, 2016.

US cancelled PHL-TLV because the route had not made money since it was begun in 2009; the cancellation has nothing to do with the urban legend that the former TWA employees in TLV could have seized an AA aircraft if one ever landed at TLV.

Prior to the merger, of course, AA never paid the former TWA employees, and there's no indication that Parker ever paid them. If an AA aircraft was ever in danger of being seized, then those former TWA employees still have almost 90 days to seize the AA A332 that lands at TLV every day.

As you pointed out, the route wasn't profitable, which was not surprising given that 75% of the passengers were connecting, many of them from NYC and WAS.

My suspicion is that neither DL nor UA are printing money on their NYC-TLV flights, but with one fewer competitor now that US is going to exit the market, perhaps losses will diminish (or profits, if they exist, may increase).

The theory that PHL-TLV was cancelled (effective next January) ignores logic: if the TWA employees have any right to collect from AA, they've had since Dec 9, 2013, when US and AA were under common ownership by American Airlines Group (the renamed AMR). They've had at least since April 7, 2015, when the FAA issued the SOC. And they've still have almost 90 days to attempt collection before the last PHL-TLV flight operates. It's pretty clear that either AA owes nothing to the former TWA employees or those former employees have no legal means to collect (the persistent myth that they could seize an aircraft at TLV).

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
CO and US both called TLV a very lucrative route in the past. The timing of the flight ending so soon after the merger and AAs unwillingness to try the route from JFK/MIA hints to other issues at play.

I agree that it's bizarre, but the former TWA employees at TLV obviously aren't currently owed any money by AA - if they were owed, then wouldn't they be attempting collection in the next 90 days? Either Parker paid them earlier when the merger closed or he's extremely confident that they can't collect.

US employees droned on and on about how PHL-TLV was the most profitable flight in the US system, and they droned on about how Parker never tolerated long-term losses, and then all of a sudden, Parker axes PHL-TLV and says it lost money from the start and was given plenty o' time to become profitable.

SFO-TLV looks like a very good idea, given the high-tech corridor, and connections from SEA and LAS and DEN and LAX can help round out the load.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If the strategy of LAX being the 787 hub hold, it would seem those planes will have to get to SFO somehow, why fly them empty? But, that LAX 787 hub plan could be up in the air all together.
The 787s are going to be focused at SFO and LAX. SFO's going to have a whole bunch of 787 flights apart from TLV, including HND, TPE, SYD, and ICN (in addition to KIX, which is already a 787).
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
A NRT-BLR flight would do the job, no need for an ULH flight. A NRT-BLR segment would allow them to consolidate feed from LAX, SEA and DEN as well.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: A3 *G; AA EXP
Originally Posted by ctownflyer

For what it's worth, the flight wasn't a big factor in the market anyway, the PHL to TLV flight had a market share of 10% of overall non-stop traffic between the US and Tel Aviv. NYC is a far more important market.

It will be interesting to see if United has to compete with EL-AL's flight to Los Angeles...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.