Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best booking strategy with multiple companions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, CO Silver

We are planning a family trip for 4. We have one 1k, and the rest no status. What is the best way to book the flights (we plan to pay for them and not use miles)?

Ideally we would all be able to select Econ Plus seats, and still maximize chances to get 2 CPUs. TO get the best of everything, I was thinking:

Option A: We book everyone on the 1k account, select Econ plus seats, and then call in to sever the 1k + 1 companion and leave the other 2 companions on a separate PNR. Would that work?

Option B: Just go for the companion upgrade, book 1k + 1 companion, book a 2nd itinerary for the other 2 companions (wouldn't get free Econ Plus though). But this might not work for us, since our kids might be separated from adults.

Option C: Book everyone together, select Econ Plus seats, do not get much chances of any upgrades.

Any tips appreciated. Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Option A(1): Book together, and then closer to the flight (5 days out) see if it's worth splitting (how many F seats left). If worth it, split off the 1K + 1 online (no need to call in). As for children, click all as adults - it avoids those issues regarding UMs.

Also consider strongly booking these as one-ways. CPUs get very messed up on the inbound flights with respect to companions.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, CO Silver
Thanks for the tips! Hadn't thought of doing them as 1-ways.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aacharya
As for children, click all as adults - it avoids those issues regarding UMs.
I agree about booking as adults for a variety of reasons. That said, depending on the kids' ages leaving them in the other cabin alone with both parents in F may actually be a UM scenario. I seem to remember that the rule is same cabin, not just same plane, though I could be wrong there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.