Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Odd (not offensive) Statement Made by a Flight Attendant

Odd (not offensive) Statement Made by a Flight Attendant

Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
And to the OP, it wouldn't matter if your wife was an elite. The vast majority of UA elites do not get any meal prioritization in FC, only the "elite" elites (1K and GS) get this. Everyone else should bring their own food into FC if they have a preference.
This 1K got told to bring my own food when I mentioned to a FA that I had an allergy to poultry, which was in all but one of the main courses being served up front on a recent flight.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
I CLEARLY do not mean this in any one way or another, but I have often asked sCO FA's for their ID# to pass along a compliment and 99% of the time they refuse. sUA FA's are the exact opposite where they gladly will give you their ID#. Never quite figured it out.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
This speaks volumes to United's culture. To dismiss as paranoid, fails to recognize anxiety or fear stems from knowledge of risk. I'm paranoid of sharks, that fear is founded in the knowledge they have been known to attack. Does it matter that in all likelihood I'd never even see a shark in the ocean, nope I still don't trust it.

Last edited by transportbiz; Sep 30, 2015 at 11:48 am
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: United, Turkish
My wife is handicapped and I often have reason to send in a compliment. I always simply name the flight and date, since I have no idea which FAs "pulled around" to let the specific one help her. It's a team effort.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by transportbiz
This speaks volumes to United's culture. To dismiss as paranoid, fails to recognize anxiety or fear stems from knowledge of risk. I'm paranoid of sharks, that fear if founded in the knowledge they have been known to attack. Does it matter that in all likelihood I'd never even see a shark in the ocean, nope I still don't trust it.
As the old saw goes - just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. Paranoia can be well-founded.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by transportbiz
This speaks volumes to United's culture. To dismiss as paranoid, fails to recognize anxiety or fear stems from knowledge of risk. I'm paranoid of sharks, that fear if founded in the knowledge they have been known to attack. Does it matter that in all likelihood I'd never even see a shark in the ocean, nope I still don't trust it.
People who dismiss this as paranoid have probably had cush jobs their entire lives, or no jobs at all. I've worked in a few places where drawing attention to yourself can be hazardous to your health.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
+1. I've heard a few versions of "It is more trouble than it is worth" when I ask for names to leave a survey commendation.

Never asked why. Often when I ask it is during IRROPs after an agent has helped me out, perhaps they are worried about re-training for being too helpful?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Sad state of affairs, but it's good to hear that such outstanding FAs are still around. My recent premium cabin services (TPAC J) were very hit and miss. FSCs were outstanding but the rank and file FAs treated most passengers with what could only be classified as thinly-veiled disdain.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
I have never experienced a FA who did not give me his/her name when I said I wanted to send a complimentary email (I always send it to someone I know at WHQ).

Many years ago several FAs were talking loudly in the gallery as I was trying to sleep. They refused to lower their voices and I asked to speak to the purser. The purser refused to give me any names and I just said that I would send an email to 1K Voice (back in the day when 1K Voice actually responded). The purser then told me that if I did not retract that threat, she would have the police meet me at the gate and take me into custody for causing a disturbance. I stayed quiet, contacted WHQ, and was rewarded with 10K miles and 2 SWUs (as they were called in those days). I don't know what happened to the FAs and the purser but I presume that they were reassigned from FRA-IAD to Lincoln, NE -- Bozeman, MT on a CRJ.

The overall point is that the airline will be able to recognize who the FAs are if you know your seat number and can make some sort of description of the FA (start with gender, hair color, what they were wearing).
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
They need to bring back the recognition chits that elites used to get. I always like recognizing great airline staff on the ground or in the air.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Madone59
They need to bring back the recognition chits that elites used to get. I always like recognizing great airline staff on the ground or in the air.
+1 ^

I made it a point to fill them out when I received exceptional service. I don't know if they mattered when added to a personnel file, but they were always gratefully received.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Why read more into the FA's comments?

I've operated under the same premise for a number of years. I'm happy with my current job and my compensation. All the attention I need from the company is to keep paying me. Any extra attention can be a bad thing...management may want to promote me out of a job I love, or they may want me to take on additional responsibility that I wouldn't enjoy, or that may reduce the personal flexibility I currently have (such as move me to an office vs. my current work from home).

I realize it's a totally different job. But recognition just isn't important to everyone. Just accept his comments at face value.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:06 pm

UA can copy AA : AA send out once a year, little coupons

With their FF account numbers on it, with the once a year Platinum or EXP cards...to be handed out and fill out by the FAs. And they then turn them in to their company for recogniztion (sp).
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Madone59
The mentality towards the cards was that they could be gamed or used inappropriately as rewards for staff bending or breaking rules.

Unless that mentality has changed, the cards are not coming back.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 30, 2015 at 10:11 pm Reason: trolling comment removed
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Congratulations to the FA who continues to do great word despite less than optimal working conditions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.