Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you cancel a flight online?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

How do you cancel a flight online?

This is ridiculous. I spent 15min on the website, and I can't find the option to cancel my ticket. Does anyone know where that option is hidden?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
This is ridiculous. I spent 15min on the website, and I can't find the option to cancel my ticket. Does anyone know where that option is hidden?
Go to Manage Reservations, select the desired itin -- you should now see the specific itinerary and at the top see
Reservation Tools: Change Flights | Cancel/Refund | View Baggage Service Charges | E-mail Summary | Print Itinerary | Export to Calendar | Rename Reservation | Reserve a Hotel | Reserve a Car |
Note you can not cancel a specific flight, just the entire itinary.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:46 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
maybe describe why and what you intend to do with the ticket, as people here can advise you whether the function you're choosing is right for what you want also.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:52 pm

Be sure to select "credit back to credit card" versus "issue travel credit"

There are two options listed - not sure if it defaults to credit but FYI.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, Marriott G, SPG G
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Go to Manage Reservations, select the desired itin -- you should now see the specific itinerary and at the top see

Note you can not cancel a specific flight, just the entire itinary.
I noticed when the the flights are already checked in, you can't find "Cancel/Refund" at the top of the view reservation page.

Coincidentally, while that view reservation page was open, I opened another tab in the browser and google "united cancel reservation" and followed thru that first link in search result to successfully cancel the reservation. Then later under "Manage Reservation" - "Cancelled", I could request refund from that reservation or apply the balance to a new one.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Can't find "cancel flight" option on .bomb??

Trying to cancel award ticket and not offering option to cancel anymore. Just change flights etc now.

Why are they driving people to higher cost (to UA) option of having to call in?? Are they hoping people won't cancel due to this? Bizarre!
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:45 am

they may be going through another series of A/B (A/B/C/...) tests, but i still have it, now called "Cancel/Refund" both at the top in the list of things you can do to your reservation and at the bottom under "Total Price". (checked both award reservations i have, same)

Reservation Tools: Change Flights | Cancel/Refund | View Baggage Service Charges | E-mail Summary | Print Itinerary | Export to Calendar | Rename Reservation | Reserve a Hotel | Reserve a Car |
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Just canceled/refunded an award flight yesterday.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Question

Originally Posted by jonk
they may be going through another series of A/B (A/B/C/...) tests, but i still have it, now called "Cancel/Refund" both at the top in the list of things you can do to your reservation and at the bottom under "Total Price". (checked both award reservations i have, same)
Weird! That's how mine used to be but now that second option is missing and baggage one is 2nd option.
Don't understand why? Is yours award ticket or regular?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by anandrag
Weird! That's how mine used to be but now that second option is missing and baggage one is 2nd option.
Don't understand why? Is yours award ticket or regular?
i checked on two award tickets i have. in my experience they keep changing stuff every time i load the website it seems (i'd like to think it's A/B testing?) -- hopefully this is a mistake and they'll leave that option in! (i can't imagine they would take it away, but who knows)
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:33 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
It disappears any time anything "custom" has been done for an award redemption. Call and they'll cancel it. Happens to me from time to time and started happening long before the new website.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by glx
It disappears any time anything "custom" has been done for an award redemption. Call and they'll cancel it. Happens to me from time to time and started happening long before the new website.
Just simple RT award so shouldn't be anything custom about it. Have another simple award RT as well and also not allowing me to cancel online
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: 1k
Just checked mine and all have cancel option.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Are you checked in? Once you check in the option goes away
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Are you checked in? Once you check in the option goes away
Nope. Flights for Dec & Jan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.