Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New HVF 'Surprise and delight' upgrade program / GFL access

Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Saw this from a reporter...

UA is doing some upgrades to first well in advance of the upgrade window for some high $ MileagePlus members as part of a 'surprise and delight' program

https://twitter.com/BrianSumers/stat...66842894655489

They're also going to more actively upgrade members like that from Business to First on international flights.

https://twitter.com/BrianSumers/stat...67344948625408

[Moderator note: Later posts which discussed another UA initiative of comping GS/1K to their first adult beverage when in Economy are now found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ree-gs-1k.html. Ocn Vw 1K]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Oct 11, 2015 at 2:52 pm Reason: To update thread history.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: 1K
While HVF is loosely defined, I would imagine the majority are already sitting in F or J. Seems like further devaluation of GPU/RPU to me.

I don't see where this was announced by United...
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:09 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
It would be delightful if we could just clear at the normal windows. I don't need extra...
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by TA
It would be delightful if we could just clear at the normal windows. I don't need extra...
ya think? Those days are long gone my friend
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:22 pm

Hyatt tried this "surprise and delight" routine and all it did was tick off those elites not selected.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hookthem
While HVF is loosely defined, I would imagine the majority are already sitting in F or J. Seems like further devaluation of GPU/RPU to me....
I think availability of R within a few weeks of a flight is going to lessen. Next time I book, I think I'll do it from a Petronas tower in KL. That's pretty high. I certainly haven't been Surprised and Delighted yet for my trip next Thursday. I'll be Surprised if it leaves on time and Delighted if I make my connection.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 25, 2015 at 1:38 pm
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:36 pm

Would be helpful to see a source for this claim.

Curious what "top $ means" and what the UG criteria are.

The twitter feed leaves out a lot of important detail.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Id be surprised and a lot more delighted if they actually had edible food in "first" instead of the prison cafeteria quality catering.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
United spends far too much time on little backdoor less than transparent deals. Ones that no one can account for, and United can use to hide behind along the way
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think availability of R within a few weeks of a flight is going to lessen. Next time I book, I think I'll do it from a Petronas tower in KL. That's pretty high. I certainly haven't been Surprised and Delighted yet for my trip next Thursday. I'll be Surprised if it leaves on time and Delighted if I make my connection.
The way I'm reading into it is the advance upgrades are for domestic CPU flights.

And the biz to first would prob be day of departure.

Which may actually open up R possibilities on flights that aren't sold out in biz...
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I'd be surprised and delighted if they reduced their ToD sales instead and just gave me my upgrades at the upgrade window. Otherwise it's just a further reduction in benefits for those of us that spend a measly $15-30,000/year with the airline.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
They're also going to more actively upgrade members like that from Business to First on international flights.
NRSAs won't like that.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Which may actually open up R possibilities on flights that aren't sold out in biz...
Yes . . . good for those waitlisted on GPUs, bad for non-revs.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Seems like a version of the "1k on business admitted to the Global First Lounge" program that was running for awhile (and I think has since ceased?)

It is not a horrible idea, but I would think with all the irrops and such, it would be better to hold off on a couple of premium seats and use them to mitigate the ill will from having travel plans disrupted.

Last domestic trip I took on United, I ended up in economy after paying for first due to a delayed flight and missed connection. Kinda the opposite of "surprise and delight".
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
A shame this doesn't apply to just HIGH flyers... (though for flights ex-PDX, DEN and SEA I expect UG would become even harder to get).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.