Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check all the way through? (sjc/den/ewr/overnight/pek)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I'm flying on a single ticket with <24 hours connections sjc/den/ewr/overnight/pek. will they check my bag all the way through or make me pick it up at EWR?) or give me an option? i'd prefer to check it all the way through and not lug it around new york.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
They should check it all the way through. From what I have experienced and what has been posted here on FT, they don't allow short checking anymore.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Technically the rules say pick it up at EWR for the overnight but reports are that rule is not enforced.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 12:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

not happy - they wouldn't check it all the way through. so i ended up lugging about 100+ pounds of luggage around new york: from EWR to the airtrain, to the new jersey transit, and walking a mile to where i was staying...and then back. oh, and going down into the NJ transit at penn station, in a basically single aisle staircase with 2 way traffic holding 4 bags and stopping all the people traffic was just awful.

for future reference, if anyone knows how to get it checked all the way through, that would be a great tip!
Old Sep 27, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
not happy - they wouldn't check it all the way through. so i ended up lugging about 100+ pounds of luggage around new york: from EWR to the airtrain, to the new jersey transit, and walking a mile to where i was staying...and then back. oh, and going down into the NJ transit at penn station, in a basically single aisle staircase with 2 way traffic holding 4 bags and stopping all the people traffic was just awful.

for future reference, if anyone knows how to get it checked all the way through, that would be a great tip!
That sucks! I hope you enjoyed your flt.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: BA EC gold UA gold—MM Hilton Diamond Hertz Presidents Circle
Our experience has been that for 12 hour or less overnight connection luggage will be thru checked. More than 12 hours it will not.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
Why didn't you use a car service/Uber/Lyft/Taxi?
Old Sep 27, 2015, 11:45 am

I've been told before that they can't print a bag tag for a flight that departs more than 24 hours after you are checking in. But that was interlining, not a single ticket.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 10:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Why didn't you use a car service/Uber/Lyft/Taxi?
$

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.