Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Aussie GS and 1K Members Appreciation Event [October 14, 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM

Just received an invitation via email from UA's Director Australia and New Zealand to the above cocktail function which will be held October 14, 2015 at the Australian National Maritime Museum here in Sydney. Really nice gesture on behalf of United towards its most loyal Aussie customers - could this be a sign of a new positive direction for United under its new leadership?

Big bummer for me is that I will be in Frankfurt that night and cannot attend! Would have loved to have gone to this one...

Kudos to UA!
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:38 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
This SYD based UA Gold for almost 10 years in a row didn't get such an invitation Obviously, I'm not loyal enough.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, VA Plat, EY Gold
No mail yet up here in Brissieland. I won't be in the country anyway, but UA managed to get only one of the 5 annual 1K mailings to me in the last 4 years so I am not sure they even know who or where I am or how to mail or email correspondence properly... I am not suprised they are trying to rally up the customers in Oz, they'll have lots of subpar business seats and plenty of FA attitude to sell in the next couple years. AA coming into town with their 8 annual upgrades, the great biz seats, well, good luck UA.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 5:03 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
SYD based 1K here and no love for me yet

Would love to go as I'm in SYD on the 14th
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
It would be great if someone going could tell them that a 787 on the SYD-US routes with outdated 2-cabin J seats is in fact a downgrade for most of their very frequent premium travelers.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Not SYD based but funny enough... was wondering around the rocks a few years ago and saw a sign on the sidewalk for a UA 1K/GS event happening. As a 1K I figured I'd walk in and say hi to the person running the show. I did, and was offered dinner, drinks and short conversation with the director of business at the time. Really odd coincidence that I was just passing by!
Old Sep 18, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
It would be great if someone going could tell them that a 787 on the SYD-US routes with outdated 2-cabin J seats is in fact a downgrade for most of their very frequent premium travelers.
Careful. You might end up with newly configured 2-class 772s with 8-across in J...
Old Sep 18, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Careful. You might end up with newly configured 2-class 772s with 8-across in J...

Thankfully that is not possible. The 10 777s they are .......izing are going to be for domestic flights only and are not the ER version and thus do not have the legs for US-OZ.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Thumbs up

Awesome to hear & wish they did this in the states.

Last edited by goalie; Sep 18, 2015 at 10:46 am Reason: off topic comments removed
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Richard Chen
Awesome to hear & wish they did this in the states.
Umm...they have and continue to do so in the States.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by aacharya
Umm...they have and continue to do so in the States.
Only for upper end GS. 1Ks are over entitled high maintenance parasites to them.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:08 pm

It would be interesting to know how many GS and 1K are domiciled in Australia.
I only manage Gold (by way of MM after 1.5mm BIS) these days after flying became something I dread rather then enjoy.
When I was a 1K I do remember being invited to a function a couple of years consecutively.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by Aspen
It would be interesting to know how many GS and 1K are domiciled in Australia.
I only manage Gold (by way of MM after 1.5mm BIS) these days after flying became something I dread rather then enjoy.
When I was a 1K I do remember being invited to a function a couple of years consecutively.
I have lived back in Australia since 2004 and been 1K every year since. Only once previously have I received an invitation to a local United function and that was to celebrate the imminent change to lie flat seats in C on the 747s. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend that event either!

I agree it would be extremely interesting to know how many GS and 1K folk there are here in Oz.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Longtime 1K living in SYD. No invite.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Just curious IainC, was it a mailed invitation (i.e., through the post) or emailed? I'm travelling from tomorrow until a couple of days before the event.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.