Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United GlobalFirst / Polaris First or Lufthansa Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

I am looking at various options for transit through Europe to SE Asia. Right now I am booked on United Global First to CDG, and then TG F (a380) to BKK.

Alternatively, I can book LH J (a330) with new business class seats to MUC, then take TG F (747) to BKK.

Thoughts on what is the better choice?

I know LH doesn't release F availability to partners until closer to departure, and I will be stalking that like a hawk, but is it better just to get on that J product now, and then switch again later if F opens up? Or risk it and wait to see if I can get LH F later, keeping my current UA GlobalFirst seats?

Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Given UA's poor on time record lately on long haul flights, I would take LH just for the reliability factor connecting between 2 long haul flights. Any considerable delay/cancelation on the first leg could potentially jeopardize your TG F experience on the second leg.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Continited
Given UA's poor on time record lately on long haul flights, I would take LH just for the reliability factor connecting between 2 long haul flights. Any considerable delay/cancelation on the first leg could potentially jeopardize your TG F experience on the second leg.
Agreed. I would absolutely go with LH new J. Just flew it and it is really pretty good.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DCMC
I am looking at various options for transit through Europe to SE Asia. Right now I am booked on United Global First to CDG, and then TG F (a380) to BKK.

Alternatively, I can book LH J (a330) with new business class seats to MUC, then take TG F (747) to BKK.

I know LH doesn't release F availability to partners until closer to departure, and I will be stalking that like a hawk, but is it better just to get on that J product now, and then switch again later if F opens up? Or risk it and wait to see if I can get LH F later, keeping my current UA GlobalFirst seats?

Thanks!
Since you are already paying for partner F, why not enjoy UA F while you can. You can get access to the United GFL because of your GF seat. LH business might be the new thing and the LH service would be great, but hard product (seat) is better for UA F.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I would take UA GF and transit at CDG. The UA->TG transit is extremely easy and quick. The Star Alliance lounge is decent. If you appear to have a delay, they can re-route you (in F since you are ticketed in F) before you get on the CDG flight.

Also, I like the A380 F experience.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
I just flew both UA Global First and LH New Business. I found the seat to be marginally--very marginally--better on UA. For service, timeliness and food, I found LH superior in every way.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...light=UA+vs+LH
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by flyupfront
I just flew both UA Global First and LH New Business. I found the seat to be marginally--very marginally--better on UA. For service, timeliness and food, I found LH superior in every way.
Unfortunately this is quite accurate - I'd take LH over UA on this route every day....
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by DCMC
Right now I am booked on United Global First to CDG, and then TG F (a380) to BKK.

As much as I dislike CDG, I'd take UA in F then TG in F on the 380. The CDG transit is easy although the security re-check lines are often very slow even with fast track. I wouldn't take TG's 747 because of the risk of getting one of their unrefurbished F cabins.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I wouldn't take TG's 747 because of the risk of getting one of their unrefurbished F cabins.
+10

Definitely avoid the TG 744 MUC-BKK!!!! See Thailand TR below, if you get old F that is a long uncomfortable night.
UA GF is F...period, take it to CDG, get on the TG A380 enjoy and don't look back
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
What is important to you???

I am a big fan on the seat in GF. When I am on an international flight, I want to sleep, and that's what I like about GF.

Other than that, UA sucks in F....catering, attitude, etc....compared to other airlines.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
this is an award booking, no? if so, i'd book LH to secure the TG F space from MUC to BKK, then hope that you can eventually change from LH J to LH F. depending on where you are starting, this is a really good possibility to pan out for you within 14 days of departure.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More, Miles and Bonus, HHonors, Starwood, Hyatt
UA GF 767 or LH Biz 747-8

I have two options next month when flying to BEG. UA GF on 767 from IAD to AMS or LUF Biz on 747-8 IAD to FRA. Opinions?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I would lean toward LH Biz:

You get an actual wine list with good wines (rather than "we have a red AND a white"). You get good gourmet food and a real dessert instead of the @#$@#$~!! low-class DQ sundae. You get great professional service from young enthusiastic FAs. And the upper deck is gorgeous -- much nicer than the 747-400.

I would only go for UA GF if:

1) You're tall. LH seats are definitely smaller.
2) You are GS and flying out of FRA (and can therefore use the LH First Class Lounge)
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I dislike connecting in FRA. Can't say about AMS since I've only started/ended there.

Difference in total travel time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.