Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

(Non-emergency) On ground collision at LAX - UA1199 and AS543 - 13 Sept 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Non-emergency) On ground collision at LAX - UA1199 and AS543 - 13 Sept 2015

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by stevneil
Wonder if AS will give each United passenger a $400 flight credit?
The AS flight was delayed on the outbound, 2 hours, so it makes sense they were compensated. The UA flight was delayed by a matter of minutes on the inbound. Not sure how that is warranting compensation.

And yes, mainline aircraft pulling in to the first few spots on terminal 7 are almost always a tow-in situation when it's a 757. The thrust and jet blast generated to the opposite terminal when they turn in would be dangerous. On the flip side, the push pack is very unique at the low end T-7 gates as well.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by cpyankees25
This is the aircraft that was hit by Alaska's winglet after arrival from EWR a couple weeks ago. They're doing a test flight before putting it back in service.
Ha - I was wondering why UA would have a 757 doing a loop over the ocean before I could fly it home to IAD. The people at the UC were not a font of information on the topic when I asked, and I didn't even think to make any connection between a test flight and that earlier incident.

(We made pretty good time in the air and only landed 25 minutes late. ^ to the pilot for telling people when to look for the lunar ecilpse; sadly, I was on the wrong side of the plane to enjoy the view.)
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by DCA writer
Ha - I was wondering why UA would have a 757 doing a loop over the ocean before I could fly it home to IAD. The people at the UC were not a font of information on the topic when I asked.......(We made pretty good time in the air and only landed 25 minutes late. ^ to the pilot for telling people when to look for the lunar ecilpse; sadly, I was on the wrong side of the plane to enjoy the view.)
I was the one driving your bus last night. Apologies for our late departure and arrival.
When there are maintenance items being performed on an aircraft the folks in the United Club, gate agents, etc are generally not privy to the specifics of what is being done. Indeed in this case, the test flight had to be completed on the jet before it would be released for our flight. The right horizontal stabilizer was damaged and the fix required the test pilots to go out and put the jet through a series of maneuvers and push it it to the edge of the speed envelope. Fortunately it passed the checks and we got off the gate in relatively decent time. Unfortunately, there was absolutely no tailwind yesterday, so we were stuck with the half hour delay we incurred.
We were able to delete the speed restrictions on the arrival, and coordinated with tower to roll down to the end of the runway and directly into our ramp entrance, so we made up a bit of time right at the end there.
In any event, other than the delays, I hope you had a comfortable flight. I pointed out the Grand Canyon AND the eclipse to the folks sitting on the right......guess you were 0-2 in that regard.
Thanks for flying with us in The Friendly Skies!

DRW.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by doobierw
I was the one driving your bus last night. Apologies for our late departure and arrival. [....]
This is one of the things that's awesome about this site. Thanks for the report, doobierw!

Yes, flight was great. I may have been 0-2 at scenery, but I was 2-2 for napping and 3-3 at catching up on Silicon Valley episodes.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by doobierw
I was the one driving your bus last night. Apologies for our late departure and arrival.
When there are maintenance items being performed on an aircraft the folks in the United Club, gate agents, etc are generally not privy to the specifics of what is being done. Indeed in this case, the test flight had to be completed on the jet before it would be released for our flight. The right horizontal stabilizer was damaged and the fix required the test pilots to go out and put the jet through a series of maneuvers and push it it to the edge of the speed envelope. Fortunately it passed the checks and we got off the gate in relatively decent time. Unfortunately, there was absolutely no tailwind yesterday, so we were stuck with the half hour delay we incurred.
We were able to delete the speed restrictions on the arrival, and coordinated with tower to roll down to the end of the runway and directly into our ramp entrance, so we made up a bit of time right at the end there.
In any event, other than the delays, I hope you had a comfortable flight. I pointed out the Grand Canyon AND the eclipse to the folks sitting on the right......guess you were 0-2 in that regard.
Thanks for flying with us in The Friendly Skies!

DRW.
thanks for a great flight home last night doobierw! and sorry to have missed you on board DCA writer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.