Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Clawback of Credit Card Promotional Miles / Can Chase Redact United Award Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clawback of Credit Card Promotional Miles / Can Chase Redact United Award Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Question Clawback of Credit Card Promotional Miles / Can Chase Redact United Award Miles?

I received 50000 promotional miles with United Plus Explorer credit card. Since United does not give full miles for travel, I consider paying $95 annual fee for the credit card meaningless. So if I cancel my credit card do I lose the promotional miles?

Last edited by J.Edward; Jun 15, 2016 at 7:11 am Reason: expanded title
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:38 am

As long as they have been credited to your Mileage Plus account you will not lose them if you cancel the card.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by indkal
I received 50000 promotional miles with United Plus Explorer credit card. Since United does not give full miles for travel, I consider paying $95 annual fee for the credit card meaningless. So if I cancel my credit card do I lose the promotional miles?
As long as you fulfill the terms of your offer, you should be fine. But I would not cancel it till your annual fee will hit your account next time. At that time you can decide if keeping that account is worth it to you.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, indkal

Originally Posted by DrewGzy
As long as they have been credited to your Mileage Plus account you will not lose them if you cancel the card.
and meets the terms of the offer -- which typically has a minimum period to be an active card holder. And that period varies but 6 months is a common time period. Need to read the offer T&Cs to know for sure. There are clawback provisions in some offers.

If the OP has had the card for nearly a year and the $95 is the annual renewal fee, then they are likely OK to decline renewal -- but with out the promo T&Cs to read, that is only speculation.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 13, 2015 at 10:39 am Reason: spelling
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There are clawback provisions in some offers.
Thanks for the clarification - sorry for jumping the gun on this one.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
And if OP isn't a regular flier on United, note there is an inactivity period of 18 months after which the miles will expire in Mileage Plus.

So the best approach is to "use em or lose em."

BTW, what would have happened if OP had burned the 50,000 miles before canceling the card during the clawback period - assuming it had such a restriction?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:10 pm

What does "...United does not give full miles for travel..." mean?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Will Dearborn
What does "...United does not give full miles for travel..." mean?
I think it means that Mileage Plus earning now works on spend, not distance traveled.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Actually I traveled international with United in summer, and when I went to Mileage Plus accounts page United credited less than half the traveled miles. On one sector I had Lufthansa, which credited me zero miles. I am not very particular on traveling with United, always go with the best deal. But, if United's price is close to the best deal, I would take United so as to add miles. Now with United's new policy on awarding miles, I am wondering why I should pay $95 annual fee if I will get less than 50% of miles. It seems such miles programs are only good for high paying customers.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually I traveled international with United in summer, and when I went to Mileage Plus accounts page United credited less than half the traveled miles. On one sector I had Lufthansa, which credited me zero miles. I am not very particular on traveling with United, always go with the best deal. But, if United's price is close to the best deal, I would take United so as to add miles. Now with United's new policy on awarding miles, I am wondering why I should pay $95 annual fee if I will get less than 50% of miles. It seems such miles programs are only good for high paying customers.
What does the annual fee on the credit card have to do with earning redeemable miles while flying? Someone who does not have the card and has the same status and paid the same amount for the same ticket will get the same miles you get. Credit card has nothing to do with it.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
What does the annual fee on the credit card have to do with earning redeemable miles while flying? Someone who does not have the card and has the same status and paid the same amount for the same ticket will get the same miles you get. Credit card has nothing to do with it.
My guess is that the OP would pick the CC for the program that provides him the most miles in order to quickly be able to redeem awards.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Always check the fare class if you want "full miles for travel" on other carriers But most other airlines also don't give that if you are paying the most discounted fares.

If you are always going for the best deal, then I'm sorry to say, you're not really loyal in the eyes of today's FF programs, and aren't going to be well rewarded by anyone. AA for now, but not for long. On the lowest fare classes on many * carriers, not just LH, you are going to get 0 with UA, and even on their own programs, aren't going to get 100%. Ditto with the other alliances.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Baze
What does the annual fee on the credit card have to do with earning redeemable miles while flying?
OP got the Explorer card so they can get free checked bags/priority boarding/whatever the hell else this card gives.

After flying, they discovered that UA doesn't give 1 mile of FF points per mile flown - including on partners. Of course, this is true of basically every other airline out there, but lets ignore that for a moment.

OP has now presumably not decided to fly UA any more due to this, so is trying to determine if they can cancel the card without losing the bonus miles.

Or at least, that's my guess on deciphering their messages...
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: United MM Alaska MP Cessna/Piper Captain
Originally Posted by transportprof
I think it means that Mileage Plus earning now works on spend, not distance traveled.
It's worse than that. The earning is based on the spend times a factor that depends on your elite level. Great if you're a 1K, not great if you a a Premier Silver member. And, it makes it harder to raise your elite level for the next year, too. I'm so glad Jeff "A change you are going to like" Smisek is GONE! Now if they will just get rid of his changes...
Old Sep 14, 2015, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ghery
It's worse than that. The earning is based on the spend times a factor that depends on your elite level. Great if you're a 1K, not great if you a a Premier Silver member. ....
Actually, it's not that great if you're 1K either. I've lost 40% of RDM earnings since the change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.