Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CEO Jeff Smisek Out;Oscar Munoz new Pres/CEO,Henry Meyer non-ex Chair;FBI case closed

CEO Jeff Smisek Out;Oscar Munoz new Pres/CEO,Henry Meyer non-ex Chair;FBI case closed

Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Video clip on how the "Bridgegate" and today's UA resignations are connected.
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/w...s-521701443991

I think Smisek & Co. were not too bright. Had they just retained that flight, it would have been a lot harder to prove that they took bribes.

Last edited by STS-134; Sep 8, 2015 at 11:58 pm
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:57 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Unfortunately Jeff will probably never get the credit he will deserve if UA continues the upward track its on. UA still needs some work done in key areas such as labor contracts, but the dirty work of transforming it into a highly profitable carrier with plenty of room to improve is mostly done. Munoz has a chance to reap the rewards of the previous leadership--not an uncommon thing with large corporations.
ha ha ha ha....plenty of room to improve indeed! Give me a break!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:58 pm

Programs: *wood Marriott P-life, *alliance UA MM, AA MM
Buh-bye

Thanks for flying with us, JS. We know you have a choice ... Well, just buh-bye. Mind the gap.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depends
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Unfortunately Jeff will probably never get the credit he will deserve if UA continues the upward track its on. UA still needs some work done in key areas such as labor contracts, but the dirty work of transforming it into a highly profitable carrier with plenty of room to improve is mostly done. Munoz has a chance to reap the rewards of the previous leadership--not an uncommon thing with large corporations.
You could be right, but I see them having turned UA into a pseudo LCC, in hopes of growing back into what it was. Smisek could have fixed issues without tearing down what worked with pmUA and without alienating a lot of HVFs and super loyal flyers like me. I can only hope that Munoz uses this as an opportunity to give back some service, employee empowerment, and, heck, even elite benefits Smisek removed, to attract back our (my) business.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.7mm
Wow, I never thought the phrase "Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee" would sound so good to my ears......thanks Ms. Kelly.

Last edited by kenziid3; Sep 9, 2015 at 12:58 am
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:05 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic Check

Re-analyzing the UA/CO and/or the DL/NW mergers is ground that has been covered many times.
This thread is about the change of UA leadership, why now, who and where now ...
Let's not go back over the ground that has already been extensively covered (and positions that have been stated and re-stated).

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:19 am

Was looking at these MIT employee count stats...

DL general management classified employees: 341
UA general management classified employees: 749

http://web.mit.edu/airlinedata/www/2...20Analysis.htm

http://web.mit.edu/airlinedata/www/2...20Analysis.htm

Not sure where they get them - but if true, that's a massive disconnect for the new CEO to work out. I'm of the mind that too many cooks in the kitchen cause trouble, especially when they're in headquarters management of a distributed global operation.

Even total employee counts...

Total United employees: 85k
Total Delta employees: 77k

And guess who carries more passengers...
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by username
If we end up with people who are like Doug Parker or the Delta guy who really devalued SkyMiles, it will be much worse than Smisek.
You're saying that MP hasn't been severely devalued in recent times?

I guess... just chop away at the remaining 10%
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 10:56 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:05 am

A post from airliners.net that hits the spot. Seems that too many need to blame someone for ills that bad attitudes bring, from the customers to the employees:

"CEOs take too much credit for good times and too much flak for bad times. I don't think this change will make a large difference fundamentally. But maybe it will be a symbolic change for the better. Hopefully the employees and customers so firmly entrenched in the Smisek hating camp will improve their attitudes. But I'm not holding my breath on that one. There's a culture of management distrust that prevents anyone from satisfying them."

And peoples attitudes, usually wrong more than they are right, almost never change. We have to find someone to take the blame but never look at our toxic attitudes or bias contributing to the problems.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Hopefully they will change the safety video as a matter of urgency.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
My big question about Mr. Munoz is: why would he leave CSX, which appears to be a bigger corporation (market cap around $26 bn) with less competition, for UACO (market cap $21.4 bn), in a true dog eat dog industry?

I wonder what kind of a signing bonus they gave him? Also, wouldn't he be under an employment contract with CSX? How much money did the UACO board have to pay CSX to let him go?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:20 am

Programs: UA-plat, HH-Diamond, Marriott-gold
Smile

Originally Posted by npei
^ hope new exec team will be motivated to improve UA upgrade process [give upgrade instruments equal or better priority vs TODs] & better soft product; it may compel many who have left to check back with UA again
I will give you an amen on that one!!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:30 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by nnn
Bring back the tulip!

Second the motion....
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:37 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
What upward track? Certainly not how the stock market sees it! United has the lowest market cap of all the major US airlines. Yes, ALL. Lower than Delta, lower than American, lower than SouthWest! United's market cap is only double that of tiny Alaska. Highly profitable? Not profitable enough it would seem! Leadership? Smisek showed no leadership at all. Pathetic CEO, only outreached by the ineptitude of a delinquent board to allow him to cause such damage. They should have acted much sooner than this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.