Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"We're sorry" status of cards onboard.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
"We're sorry" status of cards onboard.

I've had a number of flights during the past several months with issues onboard. It really seems to be random if "We're sorry for the inconvenience" cards have been placed onboard for the flight Purser to use/distribute. Writing in only adds to the frustration. Just got a "tough luck" e-mail from Global Services after writing in at the request of the Purser. Anyone know the status on the cards and if they are indeed loaded for each and every domestic or international flight? Thank you.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I've had a number of flights during the past several months with issues onboard. It really seems to be random if "We're sorry for the inconvenience" cards have been placed onboard for the flight Purser to use/distribute. Writing in only adds to the frustration. Just got a "tough luck" e-mail from Global Services after writing in at the request of the Purser. Anyone know the status on the cards and if they are indeed loaded for each and every domestic or international flight? Thank you.
Use the DOT to complain; in my experience, it has more of an impact.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Use the DOT to complain; in my experience, it has more of an impact.
Unless the issue is related to safety, crime, or financial transactions... wouldn't this be a waste of time and resources?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I'm not looking to make life more miserable for UA but the "tough luck" and go pound salt response I got after asking for a review again really upset me. I'm going to look at the DOT form if this is going to be their canned response.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:34 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I'm not looking to make life more miserable for UA but the "tough luck" and go pound salt response I got after asking for a review again really upset me. I'm going to look at the DOT form if this is going to be their canned response.
Just because you don't "like" the response doesn't mean you should go to DOT. That is ridiculous. Perhaps they are right and you are wrong?

GSCS has always been fair to me. I have never had to escalate my issues. And yes, they have said no to me before.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
They were loaded on a recent flight I took from GRU-IAD. The Purser gave me one after I made them aware of my issues..
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Exhausted the supply due to demand?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
My experience has been that if I bring up a problem, the airline wants to fix me. I want the problem solved; they want to give me miles. I decline the miles and point out that "sorry" is premature until the problem's fixed, we eventually come back to more miles. As long as the complaint system is geared to evangelizing me rather than fixing the problem, I'm not interested in playing. I use the DOT.

The DOT doesn't do anything other than compile complaints, send them to the airline and distribute them go the media. Media outlets get interested if an airline gets a spike of complaints or something unusual occurs. My experience is that enough DOT complaints get the attention of the airline; it gets someone on the phone interested in discussing the problem rather than trying to titrate the exact free mileage dose that will shut me up.

Use the DOT; it gets results.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:58 am
Original Poster

I don't like the response from UA. I have been told that should have received a card while on the plane. No cards were loaded so that made my issue invalid. ? The Purser told me no cards were loaded and to write in. Then I get a stupid response. And no GSCS has not always treated me fairly.

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Just because you don't "like" the response doesn't mean you should go to DOT. That is ridiculous. Perhaps they are right and you are wrong?

GSCS has always been fair to me. I have never had to escalate my issues. And yes, they have said no to me before.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by izzik
Unless the issue is related to safety, crime, or financial transactions... wouldn't this be a waste of time and resources?
No, actually, the DOT has a special "bad airline service" complaint channel which is much easier for customers to access than their "safety" complaint channel.

If UA does something you feel is unsafe, you'll need to call or write to the FAA.

If UA does something you feel is unpleasant, you can fill out a Web form to be processed by the DOT Aviation Consumer Protection Division. See https://www.transportation.gov/airco...umer-complaint .

The consensus a few years ago was that it is kind of a jerk move to complain to the ACPD without first giving the airline an opportunity to fix the problem and that it's socially acceptable to escalate after the airline has said "no" once. I think the thinking used a similar logic to, if Timmy steals your crayons, you should ask for them back before you run to the teacher — the teacher might not take you seriously if you escalate every trivial complaint. Not sure.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:09 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Please do share what your issue was.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:15 am
Original Poster

I'm not comfortable posting them. Just need to know if the cards are supposed to be loaded on every UA flight. Thank you.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Not sure if they are always loaded or not, but a purser on a recent PS flight told me she doesn't hand them out any more because she "gets called into the office and reprimanded" for issuing them.

Another example of customer service at its finest!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I don't like the response from UA. I have been told that should have received a card while on the plane. No cards were loaded so that made my issue invalid. ? The Purser told me no cards were loaded and to write in. Then I get a stupid response. And no GSCS has not always treated me fairly.
GSCS is highly variable. There is at least one rep who is an absolute {a pain}. For one unwanted overnight delay, regular United CS gave my wife (Gold member) twice the compensation that I got from GSCS.

I escalated an issue once to the VP level once because the compensation was so absurd; you might consider doing the same. It seems like there might be one or two bad apples that need to be driven out.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 9, 2015 at 7:03 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Pads of cards are supposed to be stocked in the "Inflight Customer Kit" and are controlled with serial numbers to prevent fraud/abuse. I haven't heard anything about them being discontinued, although the offers to customers are far less generous than they used to be, and generally insufficient for "major" issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.