Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Economy to Europe on UA during day - 767 or 757?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy to Europe on UA during day - 767 or 757?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:49 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I did the daytime flight 2 times.

I gave it up after I realized that I couldn't sleep the first night at London!

I'm back to the night flights where I sleep for a few hours and have very little jet lag throughout my trips.

I'd avoid the 757 on the westbound flights across the Atlantic since sometimes they don't have the needed range for the headwinds going west and need to divert for extra fuel. 767's have no problems with range across the Atlantic.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
I exclusively fly the day flight to London no matter where in Europe I need to go. It's the best way to avoid the worst of the jet lag. It makes every trip so much more pleasant.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by roberto99
I did the daytime flight 2 times.

I gave it up after I realized that I couldn't sleep the first night at London!

I'm back to the night flights where I sleep for a few hours and have very little jet lag throughout my trips.

I'd avoid the 757 on the westbound flights across the Atlantic since sometimes they don't have the needed range for the headwinds going west and need to divert for extra fuel. 767's have no problems with range across the Atlantic.
Not really an issue for flights from Great Britain due to shorter stage length. The 757 fuel stop issues are overwhelmingly from flights on the Continent, farther to the east.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Since there are 4 of you flying and UA Gold only allows one E+ partner, your best strategy could be to select 2 E+ seats in the last row of E+ and 2 E- seats, hopefully in the first row of E-. You will then be seated roughly together. See which flight's seat availability works the best for this strategy. That's the basis I would use for my decision. The other differences between a 767 and 757 are just too small to be worth very much -- although I find UA 767's to be generally the most comfortable of their planes for E seating.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by seenitall
Since there are 4 of you flying and UA Gold only allows one E+ partner, your best strategy could be to select 2 E+ seats in the last row of E+ and 2 E- seats, hopefully in the first row of E-. You will then be seated roughly together. See which flight's seat availability works the best for this strategy. That's the basis I would use for my decision. The other differences between a 767 and 757 are just too small to be worth very much -- although I find UA 767's to be generally the most comfortable of their planes for E seating.
Be careful with this if your children are under 15. If the last row of E+ is the emergency exit row, you can't have the parents seated there and the children in another row. Won't allow it.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by mrpouce
Thanks all. There will be four of us traveling, so the seating on the 767 sounds better, but with two kids, the AVOD may make for a much more "entertaining" flight. Will give it some thought. I'm united gold, so perhaps i'm being pessimistic on access to E+ and that will work out as well. Much appreciated.
You get E+ on booking. Unless it is somehow booked out way in advance, in which case you might want to get ready for a bunch of VDB comp, you shouldn't have any issue with that.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
Originally Posted by mrpouce
I'm united gold, so perhaps i'm being pessimistic on access to E+ and that will work out as well. Much appreciated.
You should be pessimistic, unfortunately.
If there are any E+ seats that are NOT exit row near the E- seats, and you are ok being 2+2, book that setup now. It's possible you can get the other two seats moved to E+ at the gate if E- is oversold but it's unlikely you'll all be together. We flew in and out of LHR over the summer in a similar 2 kid, 2 adult situation with me as gold, and more E+ never opened up anyway.
The only way to guarantee you sit together and all get E+ is to pay for two seats. Then you are looking at ~ $800 extra round trip. In our opinion, this was not worth it and we wanted to sit together so we did so in E-. Not really that big a deal IMO. The ice cream is going to be melted anyway...
(BTW 767 w 2-3-2 seating much better for families because you can get two seats in successive rows and both kids can be near windows if they want-unless they want to sit next to each other).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.