Contacting UA by phone outside USA

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 4, 18, 3:49 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: flyerbjorn
Wiki Link
To reach the 1K line for free from most countries:
1. Use this page to find the local number: http://business.att.com/bt/dial_guide.jsp
2. Call the AT&T number of the country you're in.
3. Then dial the US United number you'd like to reach, as in the 1K line.

List of local numbers:
United WW phone numbers
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 26, 15, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
Contacting UA by phone outside USA

I got stranded in Mexico last night when my flight home was canceled. There was a huge line to get rebooked. Often, I can deal with this by calling to get rebooked. Unfortunately, somehow my US cell phone could not call US toll-free numbers from Mexico. In the end, I remembered I had some old calling card and was able to call a US access number from which I could then call the 1K line. They rebooked me instantly and got me great seats. I was glad I didn't have to wait in the other line, which was a complete mess, with no shortcuts for F pax or elites. (First-class is a total waste of money to Mexico.)

Is there a better way to deal with this, like a non-800 number one can call? I looked at united.com/wwcontacts, but could not find a non-800 number. There are numbers in other countries, but I didn't know if these were weird toll free numbers also (which can flat out not work internationally or paradoxically be expensive to call). Also, I didn't know the level of service, language, etc. I just wanted to speak to the usual US agents I get on the toll-free line.

Note, I'm aware that forum rules prohibit posting elite dial-in numbers. However, I'd be glad for even a non-elite number I could dial, or for instructions on how to figure out the non-800 elite number rather than the number itself.
Old Aug 26, 15, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by ftweb View Post
I got stranded in Mexico last night when my flight home was canceled. There was a huge line to get rebooked. Often, I can deal with this by calling to get rebooked. Unfortunately, somehow my US cell phone could not call US toll-free numbers from Mexico. In the end, I remembered I had some old calling card and was able to call a US access number from which I could then call the 1K line. They rebooked me instantly and got me great seats. I was glad I didn't have to wait in the other line, which was a complete mess, with no shortcuts for F pax or elites. (First-class is a total waste of money to Mexico.)

Is there a better way to deal with this, like a non-800 number one can call? I looked at united.com/wwcontacts, but could not find a non-800 number. There are numbers in other countries, but I didn't know if these were weird toll free numbers also (which can flat out not work internationally or paradoxically be expensive to call). Also, I didn't know the level of service, language, etc. I just wanted to speak to the usual US agents I get on the toll-free line.

Note, I'm aware that forum rules prohibit posting elite dial-in numbers. However, I'd be glad for even a non-elite number I could dial, or for instructions on how to figure out the non-800 elite number rather than the number itself.
I've called UA's 800 number from Mexico several times when I've needed to change plans for my return flight on my annual trip to the Yucatan. You have to dial the country's prefix first. In this case you have to dial 00 THEN 1-800-xxx-xxxx. (00 being the international code for the U.S.)
Old Aug 26, 15, 9:04 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kensterfly View Post
I've called UA's 800 number from Mexico several times when I've needed to change plans for my return flight on my annual trip to the Yucatan. You have to dial the country's prefix first. In this case you have to dial 00 THEN 1-800-xxx-xxxx. (00 being the international code for the U.S.)
No need to dial (or memorize) the international prefix at every destination. That's why the "+" key was invented, so just dial +1 (the US country code is 1) then the number.
Old Aug 26, 15, 9:32 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
If you have Skype, you can call an 800 number in the US without charge from anywhere in the world.
Old Aug 26, 15, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by euslaner View Post
If you have Skype, you can call an 800 number in the US without charge from anywhere in the world.
+1
Old Aug 26, 15, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by euslaner View Post
Yes. In this age, any international traveler should have a VOIP App installed on their phone. I personally use Vonage, but there are many alternatives.
Old Aug 26, 15, 10:58 am

Programs: UA .5M, SPG Gold Lifetime
UA hasn't provided a non-800 number since years pm (pre-merger) & the ones I had from that era all don't work anymore. For a profit-obsessed corporation, I'm surprised they don't only use a non-800 number to avoid paying the connection charge on each call & dissuade callers.
Old Aug 26, 15, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
UA publishes phone contact info for all regions they serve, including Mexico.
Old Aug 26, 15, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by STS-134 View Post
No need to dial (or memorize) the international prefix at every destination. That's why the "+" key was invented, so just dial +1 (the US country code is 1) then the number.
So to clarify, what I mean by not being able to call US 800 numbers is that when I dial "+1800XXXXXXX" or "001800XXXXXXX" from my T-mobile phone in Mexico I get a recording saying, "Servicio no disponible." When I dial +1YYYXXXXXXX for any US area code YYY that is not toll-free, it works. So that may have been why the + key was invented, but in Mexico it only seems to work for non-toll-free area codes.

And to those telling me to get a VOIP app, I do indeed have one (CSipSimple), but there was no wifi at the airport and the mobile data rate was too slow to make phone calls. Fortunately, I remembered that my VOIP provider (future-nine) also provides a free calling card service. So I was able to call a special future-nine access number in the US, and from there use my SIP account number as a calling card number to make the call to the 1K number.

I'm just kind of shocked that this is what one has to do. I mean would it cost UA anything to advertise a non-toll-free number?
Old Aug 26, 15, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
I'm just kind of shocked that this is what one has to do. I mean would it cost UA anything to advertise a non-toll-free number?
They do:

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Old Aug 26, 15, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold
So to clarify, what I mean by not being able to call US 800 numbers is that when I dial "+1800XXXXXXX" or "001800XXXXXXX" from my T-mobile phone in Mexico I get a recording saying, "Servicio no disponible." When I dial +1YYYXXXXXXX for any US area code YYY that is not toll-free, it works. So that may have been why the + key was invented, but in Mexico it only seems to work for non-toll-free area codes.
Most toll free numbers are limited to calling from the country of origin. From the US, I can't call an European toll free number on a cell phone nor landline.
I always use SKYPE to call US toll free numbers when traveling overseas.
Old Aug 26, 15, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ns/mexico.aspx
Old Oct 15, 15, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Calling UA from the UK

Is there a UK 0800 number to call while I'm staying in England? I ask as I'll want to possibly change my return routing. Wasn't sure what number to call.

Thanks
Old Oct 15, 15, 10:18 am

Programs: UA Gold, IHG Plat AMB, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Is there a UK 0800 number to call while I'm staying in England? I ask as I'll want to possibly change my return routing. Wasn't sure what number to call.

Thanks
I have the following for the UK. Have never actually used them, though:

MP Service Centre 02073651859
or 08456076760

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 15, 15 at 10:36 pm Reason: split post
Old Oct 15, 15, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by lindaiah View Post
I have the following for the UK. Have never actually used them, though:

MP Service Centre 02073651859
or 08456076760