Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Email from United sent to United MP Club Cardmembers 18 Aug 2015
Update about United Club access

Dear XXXXX,

We've been working on a variety of improvements to our United ClubSM program. To provide a more productive and relaxing experience, we're investing more than $100 million in renovating existing locations and building new spaces with expanded seating areas, more power outlets and upgraded Wi-Fi. We're also investing in a brand new complimentary food menu that you can now find at our hub locations across the U.S. and will be available soon at the rest of our locations.

To maintain and further improve the United Club experience, we're announcing the following change to our program:

■ Effective August 18, 2016, a same-day boarding pass for all United Club customers, including members, will be required for United Club access.

United Club membership is a benefit of your United MileagePlus Club Card. With a United Club membership, you can still bring your spouse and children under 21, or up to two guests, into any United Club location.

Thank you for being a United MileagePlus Club Cardmember, and we look forward to creating an even more comfortable and premium United Club experience for you.
Learn More
Signs were first noticed starting 13 Aug 2015 at various clubs
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I noticed this at JFK (that's ironic...) yesterday--

Someone else noted the sign at LGA in the United Club Access Thread ....
Posting by UA Insider 17 Aug 2015
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone, some answers for you on this new policy:
  1. What about meetings/conference rooms? Will gate passes still be issued?
    Customers can still reserve a conference room to use, with or without a same-day boarding pass. We will no longer issue gate passes for other uses.

2. What about access after a redeye flight? Will this qualify as a "same-day" BP?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club after arriving off of a redeye flight.

3. Will I be able to come in if Im flying on another carrier?
    Yes, you may use a same-day boarding pass on any carrier.

4. What if my flight departs early in the morning, the following day (e.g. 12:30am)?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club.
-UA Insider
For general questions on UC access, see Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Old Aug 15, 2015, 1:32 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
I too will wait for clarification, but if they're getting rid of the gate pass I'm not going to be happy. It doesn't make a lot of sense either... I could easily buy a refundable ticket and still get in. That just means more hassle for everybody.

I don't use the gate pass option often, but the few times I've needed it I've really appreciated having it.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 2:43 am

Interesting. For me, I've had one time I used a club without flying. I was picking up my nieces in San Diego, and they were flying Jet Blue, which is in the same terminal as United. I got a gate pass from Jet Blue to meet them at the plane, and I waited in the club.

I've also used the club when arriving - usually just to grab coffee or restroom and occasionally a meeting that was called last minute around when I arrived.

I guess that would still be OK, unless arriving from a Red Eye.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 3:40 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by abbydancer
I've also used the club when arriving - usually just to grab coffee or restroom and occasionally a meeting that was called last minute around when I arrived.

I guess that would still be OK, unless arriving from a Red Eye.
I do this very often - especially after a redeye. I wonder if they'll stop that too. I'll be one pissed-off member.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 5:25 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
6 pages of thread and ...

Me: GOod morning....( present club card)

Checker: I'm sorrybDr Laser Sailor , the new policy is you must have a boarding pass to enter the UC.

Me: I'll be booking my next leg over at the customer support desk in the club, is that ok?

Checker: of course, have a nice day

Me: thank you, have a great one!
Old Aug 15, 2015, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott Amb (LTT)
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I noticed this at JFK (that's ironic...) yesterday--

Someone else noted the sign at LGA in the United Club Access Thread and I thought this merited its own thread.
Sign says 2016 so they are giving everyone a year heads up. That seems nice.

-RM
Old Aug 15, 2015, 6:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
If this truly stops members from using the club after a redeye, especially somewhere like EWR where there are showers, it'll be a major devaluation. Less reason to renew my United Club Card next year.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I've never gone to a UC without having a flight on my schedule, but I have visited one or two after arriving and before a friend would land on a different flight. The posted language is vague about that situation, but OTOH this won't be an issue for a year and a day; UA can probably get its story straight by then.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by DCA writer
I've never gone to a UC without having a flight on my schedule, but I have visited one or two after arriving and before a friend would land on a different flight. The posted language is vague about that situation, but OTOH this won't be an issue for a year and a day; UA can probably get its story straight by then.
They are already enforcing it at clubs. My guess is poor training or poor proofreading. Either they mentioned it to the agents, told them it was next year, but like everything else they were not paying attention and started enforcing it now, or the person that made the sign made a typo and meant to write 2015.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Living on the west coast, a post-redeye shower at an East Coast lounge is one of the most important lounge benefits; loosing this privilege will force me to choose other options.

The most useful time for a gatepass is when I need to manage elderly relatives---most of whom have their own LT memberships. Without me they will require wheelchairs which cost UA money.

I hope that a) UA monitors this thread, b) realizes that we don't like abusive customers either, and c) provides staff with the ability to be reasonable in interpretation of lounge access rules.

One more thing: I think that this is an opportunity for UA to differentiate credit card members, versus general club members. Full members pay more directly for access, and perhaps gate passes could be a selling point.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Living on the west coast, a post-redeye shower at an East Coast lounge is one of the most important lounge benefits; loosing this privilege will force me to choose other options.

It's not clear that's going away. The redeye BP arrives the same day.

There's even leniency built into the logic for *G access on redeyes connecting to other flights.

AMEX has a same-day BP requirement, and they allow arrivals to enter. So I don't think we can safely assume a redeye BP with a same day arrival date is going to be disqualified. We have to wait and see.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
More exclusive?!?!?!?

Potentially deny access to a club member while allowing access to a CHase card holder?!?!?

My example:
I occasionally fly HNL-IAH and more often from West Coast on redeyes and duck into club for coffee/quick breakfast on arrival. In some of these these cases, would not have a same-day BP and will be denied access. Meanwhile, No-status/non-member Joe flying Copa gets in with his/her Copa BP and Chase pass? Really?

This makes my membership "more exclusive"??? I guess it does. I'm excluded.

From a legal standpoint, I'm not sure UA can change access rules to paid members in the middle of the pre-paid membership period. I'm sure they can go ahead and change it, but UA could face a legal challenge.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 15, 2015 at 8:35 am
Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:28 am

Clarification?

So as lifetime Gold/*G we can use a LH or other *A lounge domestic US, without actually flying LH or that *A airline that day? Why are we paying something like $750 for a couples UC membership? We are on UA 99% of the time...
Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
From a legal standpoint, I'm not sure UA can change access rules to paid members in the middle of the pre-paid membership period. I'm sure they can go ahead and change it, but UA could face a legal challenge.
Which is why they're giving a year's notice. Presumably new members and renewals are governed by the new rule.

The only sticking point is lifetime memberships.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by channa
Which is why they're giving a year's notice. Presumably new members and renewals are governed by the new rule.

The only sticking point is lifetime memberships.
I guess my biggest gripe is a membership (until the new rule is in force) is all that was needed to get in. There was no way the reception desk could screw up the approval of entry. If the liberal interpretation of "same-day BP" includes the BP associated with a redeye arrival, that would be fine. The problem is members will now be depending on reception to be knowledgable about that stipulation. I can definitely foresee a denial or two coming from ill-informed agents. Most people coming off a redeye are hardly in a mood to be denied a rightful entry. If UA IT gets the scanners to automatically recognize and approve access for such redeye flights, I might be less apprehensive (taking reception deciderers out), but that would require UA IT to...aw, never mind.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 15, 2015 at 8:50 am
Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by unitedfflyer
So basically a membership is now nothing more than pre-paying for 9 entries? UA management wants to remove all ancillary benefits and strip it down to the core.
Not following...if you are flying UA only 9 times per year, you shouldn't be buying a membership. You can still use it every time you fly UA.

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
6 pages of thread and ...

Me: GOod morning....( present club card)

Checker: I'm sorrybDr Laser Sailor , the new policy is you must have a boarding pass to enter the UC.

Me: I'll be booking my next leg over at the customer support desk in the club, is that ok?

Checker: of course, have a nice day

Me: thank you, have a great one!
Lying isn't acceptable to me. But I'm glad that you found a way that works for you.

Originally Posted by channa
It's not clear that's going away. The redeye BP arrives the same day.

There's even leniency built into the logic for *G access on redeyes connecting to other flights.

AMEX has a same-day BP requirement, and they allow arrivals to enter. So I don't think we can safely assume a redeye BP with a same day arrival date is going to be disqualified. We have to wait and see.
There aren't many red-eyes that leave the same day they arrive. A couple that leave around 12:30 from the west coast. Most leave before midnight so they'd have a different date on the pass. All TATL red-eyes are a different day.

I hope you're right about logic built in to accommodate this, because the ability to use the lounge after an international arrival seems to be the big loss here. Perhaps the policy will only apply to domestic lounges, and then there's very little impact. I think most TATL AND TPAC arrive in the U.S. same date.

Last edited by goalie; Aug 15, 2015 at 9:17 am Reason: Discuss the issue-not each other

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.