Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Email from United sent to United MP Club Cardmembers 18 Aug 2015
Update about United Club access

Dear XXXXX,

We've been working on a variety of improvements to our United ClubSM program. To provide a more productive and relaxing experience, we're investing more than $100 million in renovating existing locations and building new spaces with expanded seating areas, more power outlets and upgraded Wi-Fi. We're also investing in a brand new complimentary food menu that you can now find at our hub locations across the U.S. and will be available soon at the rest of our locations.

To maintain and further improve the United Club experience, we're announcing the following change to our program:

■ Effective August 18, 2016, a same-day boarding pass for all United Club customers, including members, will be required for United Club access.

United Club membership is a benefit of your United MileagePlus Club Card. With a United Club membership, you can still bring your spouse and children under 21, or up to two guests, into any United Club location.

Thank you for being a United MileagePlus Club Cardmember, and we look forward to creating an even more comfortable and premium United Club experience for you.
Learn More
Signs were first noticed starting 13 Aug 2015 at various clubs
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I noticed this at JFK (that's ironic...) yesterday--

Someone else noted the sign at LGA in the United Club Access Thread ....
Posting by UA Insider 17 Aug 2015
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone, some answers for you on this new policy:
  1. What about meetings/conference rooms? Will gate passes still be issued?
    Customers can still reserve a conference room to use, with or without a same-day boarding pass. We will no longer issue gate passes for other uses.

2. What about access after a redeye flight? Will this qualify as a "same-day" BP?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club after arriving off of a redeye flight.

3. Will I be able to come in if Im flying on another carrier?
    Yes, you may use a same-day boarding pass on any carrier.

4. What if my flight departs early in the morning, the following day (e.g. 12:30am)?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club.
-UA Insider
For general questions on UC access, see Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
This is a real downgrade. For those of us who fly out of non-hub airports that have United Clubs, being able to access the club as a member but when flying another airline was a significant benefit. I can't count the number of times I've seen people exit the United Club at PHL and turn left (toward the C gates) rather than right (toward the D gates and UA flights).
This is indeed a downgrade. I'm fine with it, however. It just makes it easier to not renew next year.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: Platinum SPG, Marriott Platinum, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum,
While it's incredible how a posted sign is the method used to communicate, at least this can't be blamed on the merger.

However, I recently spent time in the DEN East Club which is desperately in need of furniture renovation. I would be embarrassed to bring family and/or friends there.

United should spend more time and money on aggressively pursuing club renovations and in improving communication, but that's been suggested on FT many times before.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I think it must have been my fault. Mrs. 5k was flying out of JFK on NH earlier this week so I cleared security with her in Terminal 7 and guested her in to the United Club with my UC card.

The place was packed....me and Mrs. 5k and at least.... well, one receptionist and one bartender. I guess with only 2 people in the Club it wasn't sufficiently exclusive.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
This is indeed a downgrade. I'm fine with it, however. It just makes it easier to not renew next year.
For me, it was the price increase. I was on the fence at the current price. Renewed last year to give it one more try, but already decided I wouldn't renew this next January. This just makes me feel even better about my decision. Not because it really impacts me much, but because it's such a stupid, petty move that I'm happy to not pay them again next year.

I was starting to think UA had learned its lesson about being penny-wise and pound foolish, when they started improving some of the food offerings and reinstating some of the pmUA policies, but apparently I was wrong.

I suppose some accountant figured out that the price increase didn't quite make up for the renewals they'd lose, so they need to cut another 5 cents per UC member by not letting people in after an overnight flight.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
That's very interesting.

I have been told twice in the last few months (once a week ago), once in SEA and once in ORD that I was not allowed to enter because I had a ticket on another airline. So they're thinking about it. In fact, last week they offered to sell me a pass for $35, but I blustered my way in. At the time I thought that this was quite an increase in annual membership costs - from 7 one-day passes to 15 - but maybe it's instead a way to monetize UC members: charge them $35 if they have a ticket on another airline.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by ylord789
Very unhappy to hear this. I don't see how people can justify $450 credit card annual fee or even $550 club annual fee if we can not access clubs without a boarding pass.

As soon as this news is confirmed, I will not renew my chase club credit card.

Just to remind UA manegement, I have a prestige card of $350 annual fee (of which $250 usable on airtickets) and some very generous Priority Pass privileges. And it earns 3.15 points per dollar on any airline/hotel spending.
Absolutely agree! Why spend $450 on a United Mileage Plus Club card that won't get you into a United Club if you're travelling on someone else's metal? Maybe United can now merge with Delta - they are both just as worthless when it comes to their respect for their customers.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
... I'm betting it's probably really a "no more gate passes" policy.
Then why don't they just discontinued the gate policy policy instead?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:01 pm

Presidential Plus CC

Well I guess my membership charge for the Chase card will fall from $450 to maybe $85.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
I'm with you. All things being equal, I would have just let it auto renew. This kinda stuff gives me heartburn enough to cancel.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP; UA Silver; HHonors Silver; HyattGP Platinum; Hertz PC
I refuse to believe that there is huge amount of non-flying UC members who are gate-passing into clubs across the system. UAInsider needs to give some sort of clarification as to why they needed to make this move. Why eliminate a perk that is used rarely, if ever, by 99% of UC members? How does this benefit UA's bottom line?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
(hoping UAInsider will chime in)--
Originally Posted by warreng24
I would like to see some sort of policy confirmation and clarification from UAInsider.
NOT. A. CHANCE.

It goes without saying that UAI can't "clarify" when the C suite changes the rules. Sadly.

Dave
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
That's very interesting.

I have been told twice in the last few months (once a week ago), once in SEA and once in ORD that I was not allowed to enter because I had a ticket on another airline. So they're thinking about it. In fact, last week they offered to sell me a pass for $35, but I blustered my way in. At the time I thought that this was quite an increase in annual membership costs - from 7 one-day passes to 15 - but maybe it's instead a way to monetize UC members: charge them $35 if they have a ticket on another airline.
Well don't believe anything from the SEA UC agents because they're wrong quite a bit-I've seen them try to deny access to 1Ks flying on international itineraries, and according to them, the access priority for UCs is "UC club members, international F/J, one-time passes, then *G", which I'm not sure is policy or not
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SportDiver
Absolutely agree! Why spend $450 on a United Mileage Plus Club card that won't get you into a United Club if you're travelling on someone else's metal? Maybe United can now merge with Delta - they are both just as worthless when it comes to their respect for their customers.
I doubt they will require that you fly on their metal for entrance. DL just requires that you have a same-day flight (any airline) for entrance, and it is likely UA is just copying DL's policy.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Gate pass is still needed. I have arrived on a flight, gone to local hotel, then later came back to meet people in the lounge. That would qualify since I would still have a same day boarding pass - although earlier in the day.

Same policy at the AmEx Centurion Lounges, but then again it is not a paid membership club.

Maybe they should let you in with a paid membership (regardless) and only require a boarding pass when you are using a credit card membership (but then Chase Club Card gives you an actual United membership card). Unlike AA Citibank which you use the actual CC for admission.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No we can't. At a max of two passes per person per year, and many (or most) of those going to people who already have access, I'd say this probably accounts for no more than 2% of all lounge-goers. There are probably more Aegean fake-Golds taking advantage than Chase passes.

I'm betting it's probably really a "no more gate passes" policy.
I am in them quite often and I'm telling you, I constantly (nearly every visit) see people in front of me and/or people behind me using those passes. I stand by my assessment.

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
That's very interesting.

This is ridiculous and let's be clear -- we have no indication that the same-day flight must be on United/Star Alliance and I still highly doubt that United would go that far.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 15, 2015 at 8:35 am Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.