Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Email from United sent to United MP Club Cardmembers 18 Aug 2015
Update about United Club access

Dear XXXXX,

We've been working on a variety of improvements to our United ClubSM program. To provide a more productive and relaxing experience, we're investing more than $100 million in renovating existing locations and building new spaces with expanded seating areas, more power outlets and upgraded Wi-Fi. We're also investing in a brand new complimentary food menu that you can now find at our hub locations across the U.S. and will be available soon at the rest of our locations.

To maintain and further improve the United Club experience, we're announcing the following change to our program:

■ Effective August 18, 2016, a same-day boarding pass for all United Club customers, including members, will be required for United Club access.

United Club membership is a benefit of your United MileagePlus Club Card. With a United Club membership, you can still bring your spouse and children under 21, or up to two guests, into any United Club location.

Thank you for being a United MileagePlus Club Cardmember, and we look forward to creating an even more comfortable and premium United Club experience for you.
Learn More
Signs were first noticed starting 13 Aug 2015 at various clubs
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I noticed this at JFK (that's ironic...) yesterday--

Someone else noted the sign at LGA in the United Club Access Thread ....
Posting by UA Insider 17 Aug 2015
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone, some answers for you on this new policy:
  1. What about meetings/conference rooms? Will gate passes still be issued?
    Customers can still reserve a conference room to use, with or without a same-day boarding pass. We will no longer issue gate passes for other uses.

2. What about access after a redeye flight? Will this qualify as a "same-day" BP?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club after arriving off of a redeye flight.

3. Will I be able to come in if Im flying on another carrier?
    Yes, you may use a same-day boarding pass on any carrier.

4. What if my flight departs early in the morning, the following day (e.g. 12:30am)?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club.
-UA Insider
For general questions on UC access, see Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
I was a bit disappointed to read this, but then I remembered that I haven't been to many stations where the United Club is readily accessible (read: you don't have to clear security into a concourse or terminal you're not flying out of, and/or convince the TSA or airport staff to let you through solely to use the lounge) to people flying a lot of airlines that aren't United, partners, or A* members.

-LPDAL
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
That sign was posted in the IAD United Clubs late yesterday afternoon. Seems poorly worded too since 99.99% of the folks who might want to get into the UC have boarding passes - do they mean to restrict it to *A boarding passes? Agents working there (some I know for many years) indicate that this is a result of all the Chase passes being used (and widely available on eBay and craigslist).

Like a previous poster, I am a lifetime member, and will be very unhappy with this change. Would love to hear something from the UA lurker here. Will current members be grandfathered into the old policy? How about lifetime members?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Having said that, it would take far less energy and angst for folks to just buy a refundable ticket when access is needed...
I doubt this loophole is so widespread but UA could charge a $50 deposit (price of one time entrance) refunded when you board your refundable flight.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
So many nuances here:

Lifetime member vs. annual members
Paid memberships purchase thru UA vs. memberships via United CC
Members / pass holders flying UA vs flying another carrier

I think "members" should have club access anytime, but maybe not have "guesting" privileges if not flying that day.

I think "members" should have club access on arrival, as that is same day.

Not sure the evil UA is trying to cure here. I think it is more a P.R. effort that acknowledges the clubs are packed, and they are trying to address it. But good luck with that, as all this does is once again piss off your best customers.

SunLover
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Can there really be that much of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...local-bar.html that this is called for? OR maybe THIS GUY has switched from flying LH or UA

My lounge membership is expiring at the end of this month and I am not renewing but if I was this would have me . I frequently used, and still use, the UA club when I am not flying UA.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:29 pm

Angry

so, if I arrive at the airport, but my flight leaves after midnight, do I get access? or do I not since it isn't "same-day"?

Similarly, what if you take a red eye, and decide to swing by a club to take a shower. Your flight is for the previous day, though the arrival is the next day. Can you still get access?

Do your guests still require a boarding pass? What if you're using the meeting room to hold a meeting?

The solution is simple: if you're using the one-time pass, require the ticket. Or tie it to the MP account. Don't punish those that actually pay for the membership.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
This means nothing to me. I only fly United and have ever only used the club when flying. If this means it will thin out the crowds I'm all for it but for the life of me I can't think this will have any effect on crowd size (if that's what the objective is here in the first place).
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: CHASE UNITED CLUB; CITI PRESTIGE; IHG SPIRE AMBASSADOR; RITZ-CARLTON GOLD; Global Entry
Very unhappy to hear this. I don't see how people can justify $450 credit card annual fee or even $550 club annual fee if we can not access clubs without a boarding pass.

As soon as this news is confirmed, I will not renew my chase club credit card.

Just to remind UA manegement, I have a prestige card of $350 annual fee (of which $250 usable on airtickets) and some very generous Priority Pass privileges. And it earns 3.15 points per dollar on any airline/hotel spending.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
How will this thin out the Chase pass holders? Aren't the people who are more likely to use the club without a boarding pass more likely to be members?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
How will this thin out the Chase pass holders? Aren't the people who are more likely to use the club without a boarding pass more likely to be members?
That's precisely the problem and the reason this policy change leaves me questioning what United is really trying to accomplish.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
The notice does not specify that a UNITED boarding pass is required. So I assume I can use non *A airline boarding passes?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by amartin1979
The notice does not specify that a UNITED boarding pass is required. So I assume I can use non *A airline boarding passes?
Just wait for the "clarification".
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
This seems like yet another devaluation.

Hopefully AA doesn't follow suit. One of the reasons I keep my Citi AA Exec is because the AAdmirals club at RDU is within a short walk of DL, US/AA, and UA gates so I can access no matter who I'm flying that day.

Yet another reason to avoid the UA Club card or a UC membership generally.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amartin1979
This would match DL's policy -- same-day boarding pass on any airline is required for entrance for Sky Club members.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
This would match DL's policy -- same-day boarding pass on any airline is required for entrance for Sky Club members.
So that's all the clarification we need

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.