Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Email from United sent to United MP Club Cardmembers 18 Aug 2015
Update about United Club access

Dear XXXXX,

We've been working on a variety of improvements to our United ClubSM program. To provide a more productive and relaxing experience, we're investing more than $100 million in renovating existing locations and building new spaces with expanded seating areas, more power outlets and upgraded Wi-Fi. We're also investing in a brand new complimentary food menu that you can now find at our hub locations across the U.S. and will be available soon at the rest of our locations.

To maintain and further improve the United Club experience, we're announcing the following change to our program:

■ Effective August 18, 2016, a same-day boarding pass for all United Club customers, including members, will be required for United Club access.

United Club membership is a benefit of your United MileagePlus® Club Card. With a United Club membership, you can still bring your spouse and children under 21, or up to two guests, into any United Club location.

Thank you for being a United MileagePlus® Club Cardmember, and we look forward to creating an even more comfortable and premium United Club experience for you.
Learn More
Signs were first noticed starting 13 Aug 2015 at various clubs
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I noticed this at JFK (that's ironic...) yesterday--

Someone else noted the sign at LGA in the United Club Access Thread ....
Posting by UA Insider 17 Aug 2015
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone, some answers for you on this new policy:
  1. What about meetings/conference rooms? Will gate passes still be issued?
    Customers can still reserve a conference room to use, with or without a same-day boarding pass. We will no longer issue gate passes for other uses.

2. What about access after a redeye flight? Will this qualify as a "same-day" BP?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club after arriving off of a redeye flight.

3. Will I be able to come in if I’m flying on another carrier?
    Yes, you may use a same-day boarding pass on any carrier.

4. What if my flight departs early in the morning, the following day (e.g. 12:30am)?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club.
-UA Insider
For general questions on UC access, see Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by zeer0
You could also buy a same day refundable ticket and have a bp. Doesn't prove you'll fly.

What I don't get is why is this a requirement in the first place. Maybe I'm missing something, but how does one get through TSA without a boarding pass in the first place? So doesn't that prove you either flew in or are flying out?
Flight crews, airport employees, etc. go through security every day without a boarding pass. If they have UC memberships they could use them multiple times daily if no BP was required.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kit125
If I had my paper BP, I doubt he would've even inspected it.
The agent will run the BP through a scanner, and the software will tell if it's a departing BP or not.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:06 pm

You could also buy a same day refundable ticket and have a bp. Doesn't prove you'll fly.

What I don't get is why is this a requirement in the first place. Maybe I'm missing something, but how does one get through TSA without a boarding pass in the first place? So doesn't that prove you either flew in or are flying out?
If you repeatedly purchase a ticket but have no intention to fly, watch out. UA can cancel your account via Corporate Security.

My data points:

LAX-EWR early morning. I could access the UA Club at LAX 11:00p.m. previous night, and apparently before and immediately after the fly on the same day.

HKG-SFO in J. I could access Polaris ORD on the same day and the next day. Got disruptions so had to fly next day.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Having had a WN _printed_ boarding pass, I walked from T1 to T7, cleared security, went over to T8 to procure a hamburger from Carl's Jr for my 15 yr. old still picky eater (who I left at the T1 gate and who didn't want a gourmet-ish burger from any of the establishments in T1), then went back to T7 and cleared into the UC to go up and get myself an adult drink. Consumed it and went back to T1 to deliver the vittles and get into my stanchion and the two of us board our delayed WN flight.

Did this in the past year. So a) you need to have printed boarding pass (any airline) for that day, and b) have either your physical UC card or the United App with your UC subscription.

FWIW, here's the Admittance language from the UC Terms and Conditions Page (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ges/rules.html)

David

Last edited by DELee; Feb 21, 2018 at 6:16 pm
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
OP should have tried to bring up the AA reservation which would at least prove he flew in same day. If that isn't enough, then it's a ridiculous policy by UA.
To be clear, I did pull up the BP to show the agent, but the barcode "expires" on AA mobile BPs. He wasn't interested in looking at it and insisted that I needed a departing BP. Thanks to poster up thread with the Ts&Cs link. At this point, I plan to pitch a proper ..... with UA. I'm sure I won't get anything, but if they happen to send a token my way, it my smooth things over. But I'm strongly considering moving all my business to AA. (Would be a no brainer if AA replicated UA's SDC policy.)
zeer0 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The agent was ABSLUTELY wrong. FWIW, I regularly access UA clubs upon arrival and have never been questioned. But I can always produce a same-day boarding pass.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by kit125
To be clear, I did pull up the BP to show the agent, but the barcode "expires" on AA mobile BPs.
This is a true failing for both AA and WN apps - you get absolutely no info regarding flight status and then the BP disappears whether or not the plane is closed for boarding or not - come departure time: poof!

David
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Another reason to always screenshot mobile boarding passes. UA's app is excellent (usually) at keeping them until the next day, but any AA ones I have had have always disappeared by the time the wheels go up!

Never had a problem entering a United Club on arrival, even with an AA boarding pass in hard copy. I am not sure UA's equipment can even read an AA boarding pass; do they actually read anything from the barcode or is it just for show when they appear to scan it? When scanning a UA BP, the MileagePlus number is in there and acts as the admission ticket, plastic or app membership card not needed. With an AA BP, of course, the UA card is always needed. But it's never been clear if the AA boarding pass is actually read by UA's scanner or is just visually checked by the agent. I never have bothered to ask.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
Angry

Originally Posted by DELee
This is a true failing for both AA and WN apps - you get absolutely no info regarding flight status and then the BP disappears whether or not the plane is closed for boarding or not - come departure time: poof!

David
That's actually not quite true. While the bar code "expires", if you click on the small i in the bottom right corner, you get the details of the trip. Which makes this more infuriating. The agent would rather irritate a paying customer that do 20 seconds of extra work. And the club was virtually empty!
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I'm a UA Club member, and while I expected (and used my BP) to gain access, I was a little surprised that the club also demanded to scan my colleagues BP (SWA BP) for entry. He was my guest as we had time before our respective flights. Not a big deal, just surprised.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:31 pm

UA Club Access (with membership) while flying Jet Blue

Hey,

I have a UA club membership/Chase Club card and in a few weeks i'll be flying through Vegas with a friend. We will be flying Jet Blue

Can we access the club with boarding passes on jet blue with my club membership card?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
As a UC member, you can access the club as long you have a departing flight, regardless of which airline it's for.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi
You will need to get from Terminal 3 ( E gates which Jet Blue uses ) to Termimal 1 ( D gates via the airside transit train ) where the United Club is.

Coming back from the D gates to T3, you will need to take the elevator back up to the E gate departure level ( do not follow most of the people as they will be leaving for baggage reclaim and if you do that you will need to reclear TSA securty at T3 again.

Apologies if this is very familiar to you,.

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Apr 8, 2018 at 2:57 pm
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi
You will need to get from Terminal 3 ( E gates which Jet Blue uses ) to Termimal 1 ( D gates via the airside transit train ) where the United Club is.

Coming back from the D gates to T3, you will need to take the elevator back up to the E gate deaprture level ( do not follow most of the people as they will be leaving for baggage reclaim and if you do that you will need to reclear TSA securty at T3 again....
No need to confuse anyone w/ "Terminal 1" jargon. Terminal 1 departures/arrivals use A, B, C, D gates. Terminal 3 departures/arrivals use D, E gates. D gates are not actually part of T1 or T3, but service both. OP just needs to get from either T1 (w/o check-in bags) or T3 to the D gates and then get to E gates for departure. Good advice on not going out to bag claim, though...
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi

Coming back from the D gates to T3, you will need to take the elevator back up to the E gate deaprture level ( do not follow most of the people as they will be leaving for baggage reclaim and if you do that you will need to reclear TSA securty at T3 again.

Apologies if this is very familiar to you,.

Regards

TBS
Excellent directions. And as far as I can tell, the only way to stay beyond security when returning to terminal 3 (getting off the tram) is to take the elevator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.