Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Email from United sent to United MP Club Cardmembers 18 Aug 2015
Update about United Club access

Dear XXXXX,

We've been working on a variety of improvements to our United ClubSM program. To provide a more productive and relaxing experience, we're investing more than $100 million in renovating existing locations and building new spaces with expanded seating areas, more power outlets and upgraded Wi-Fi. We're also investing in a brand new complimentary food menu that you can now find at our hub locations across the U.S. and will be available soon at the rest of our locations.

To maintain and further improve the United Club experience, we're announcing the following change to our program:

■ Effective August 18, 2016, a same-day boarding pass for all United Club customers, including members, will be required for United Club access.

United Club membership is a benefit of your United MileagePlus® Club Card. With a United Club membership, you can still bring your spouse and children under 21, or up to two guests, into any United Club location.

Thank you for being a United MileagePlus® Club Cardmember, and we look forward to creating an even more comfortable and premium United Club experience for you.
Learn More
Signs were first noticed starting 13 Aug 2015 at various clubs
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I noticed this at JFK (that's ironic...) yesterday--

Someone else noted the sign at LGA in the United Club Access Thread ....
Posting by UA Insider 17 Aug 2015
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone, some answers for you on this new policy:
  1. What about meetings/conference rooms? Will gate passes still be issued?
    Customers can still reserve a conference room to use, with or without a same-day boarding pass. We will no longer issue gate passes for other uses.

2. What about access after a redeye flight? Will this qualify as a "same-day" BP?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club after arriving off of a redeye flight.

3. Will I be able to come in if I’m flying on another carrier?
    Yes, you may use a same-day boarding pass on any carrier.

4. What if my flight departs early in the morning, the following day (e.g. 12:30am)?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club.
-UA Insider
For general questions on UC access, see Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lavedder
UA lounges at EWR have been denying access to One Day Pass holders because of crowding. Had no success 3 out of 4 trips.
I got an email from United yesterday saying this practice would continue.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by lavedder
UA lounges at EWR have been denying access to One Day Pass holders because of crowding. Had no success 3 out of 4 trips.
Email today from United (same note already received several times recently): "One-time passes will no longer be accepted at United Club locations in Terminal C until construction is complete. We will continue to accept one-time passes in our newly renovated Terminal A United Club location."

If you have time, you can take the bus over to Terminal A to use that Club (which was recently renovated and looks nice compared to the ones at Terminal C).
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:11 am

Location: FLL. AA PLT 2.7MM, UA Gold MM, Delta Gold Medallion & Lifetime SC, Hilton GVIP, SGP, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by LBJ
This would match DL's policy -- same-day boarding pass on any airline is required for entrance for Sky Club members.
I don’t ever remember Delta having this policy, and I often use Sky Clubs when flying Star Alliance or OneWorld airlines. I’m doing that right now, at O’Hare. Flew in on United on a route that Delta doesn’t fly nonstop.

But the lounge concierge told me that starting one year from now (2019-01-01) anyone using a Sky Club will have to present a SkyTeam boarding pass for that day.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by Horizons
But the lounge concierge told me that starting one year from now (2019-01-01) anyone using a Sky Club will have to present a SkyTeam boarding pass for that day.
Yeah, DL just announced this. I hope somebody from United is paying attention and doesn't make the same move... for me that would mean no more club membership, since I'd say about 50% of my club uses are on other airlines.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
This can't be right...

Today, I flew into BOS. I am a paying UC member through my Pres+ Card. I flew in on AA. I needed a place to take a call before leaving the airport and thought I'd make use of my handy UC membership. However, I was denied entry. I was told that I had to have a DEPARTING BP for access. I've never been told this before and, if that's really the policy, greatly reduces the value of the club for this business traveler.

Since I thought the agent was crazy, I called Mileage+ and was referred to the Club Desk. That agent also reinforced what the agent said. I think the only reason the agent even knew that it was an inbound and not outbound BP is that AA's mobile BPs expire upon landing. If I had my paper BP, I doubt he would've even inspected it.

Did I just get two folks off their games? Or is this really the policy? I expressed my concern to the Club Desk, but sure anything went directly to the circular file.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 21, 2018 at 2:53 pm Reason: Moved to existing thread
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
<deleted. Missed that previous poster had an incoming AA boarding pass. Agree that he should have been allowed access!>
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kit125
Today, I flew into BOS. I am a paying UC member through my Pres+ Card. I flew in on AA. I needed a place to take a call before leaving the airport and thought I'd make use of my handy UC membership. However, I was denied entry. I was told that I had to have a DEPARTING BP for access. I've never been told this before and, if that's really the policy, greatly reduces the value of the club for this business traveler. ....
The requirement for a BP for UC members was added 18 months ago
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...me-day-bp.html
BUT any same day BP with any carrier (including AA) is sufficient. The agent(s) was wrong.

As noted later
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
.... OP -- if you were unable to produce a same day BP, the denial was correct per the policy change in August 2016.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 21, 2018 at 12:55 pm Reason: update
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...I think the only reason the agent even knew that it was an inbound and not outbound BP is that AA's mobile BPs expire upon landing. If I had my paper BP, I doubt he would've even inspected it....
Proves paper still has its uses

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 21, 2018 at 1:13 pm Reason: language.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
...I think the only reason the agent even knew that it was an inbound and not outbound BP is that AA's mobile BPs expire upon landing. If I had my paper BP, I doubt he would've even inspected it ....
Proves the paper is still has its uses
Or screen capturing mobile BPs as I regularly do (as even UA mobile BPs have been known {in the recent past} to disappear post scheduled departure in irrops)

OP -- if you were unable to produce a same day BP, the denial was correct per the policy change in August 2016.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP should have tried to bring up the AA reservation which would at least prove he flew in same day. If that isn't enough, then it's a ridiculous policy by UA.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zeer0
OP should have tried to bring up the AA reservation which would at least prove he flew in same day. If that isn't enough, then it's a ridiculous policy by UA.
I can bring up a cancelled reservation by UA - doesn't prove I flew. Club desk agents shouldn't have to spend time trying to parse thru alternatives to what the policy requires (which is a boarding pass, as explicitly stated).

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 21, 2018 at 1:51 pm
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Proves paper still has its uses
Call me old fashion but I still print ALL my BPs.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
I can bring up a cancelled reservation by UA - doesn't prove I flew. Club desk agents shouldn't have to spend time trying to parse thru alternatives to what the policy requires (which is a boarding pass, as explicitly stated).
You could also buy a same day refundable ticket and have a bp. Doesn't prove you'll fly.

What I don't get is why is this a requirement in the first place. Maybe I'm missing something, but how does one get through TSA without a boarding pass in the first place? So doesn't that prove you either flew in or are flying out?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:59 pm

... Maybe I'm missing something, but how does one get through TSA without a boarding pass in the first place? ....
Airport worker, airline employee, ....

Moved the discussion from the UC access thread as this thread has a long discussion about the needed for BP issue and why UA and other carriers with memberships require the same day BP.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could also buy a same day refundable ticket and have a bp. Doesn't prove you'll fly...
Yes, but it's a boarding pass, as explicitly required by Club rules. United can't get rid of all the fraud, but it can certainly try to minimize it. Desk agents shouldn't have to be in the position to waste time trying to figure out the validity of a variety of different documents. A BP is a BP. The requirement to have a BP in hand is hardly onerous.

As for the requirement, one of the main reasons a same-day BP is now required was the alleged use of Clubs by airport personnel who don't need boarding passes. Everyone who is in the secure zone don't necessarily have boarding passes. Airline employees, vendors, service personnel, construction workers, etc are some examples of people who don't have barding passes.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 21, 2018 at 3:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.