ANA vs EVA using MP Miles

IAH based.... heading to BKK in C.

Which is better and why?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by avi8tir
IAH based.... heading to BKK in C.

Which is better and why?
IMHO (From reading only, haven't flown either) BR over NH.

NH has a F product, and makes a clear distinction between C & F. BR does not have F, so their C product has some great touches that make it C+.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
IMO, I would choose BR, as I do several times each year flying back and forth to HKG. Inflight is fine, and the TPE ground staff and clubs ensuite are tops.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Can you do one over and one on the way back?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Unless you're flying purely for the food, go with BR.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
Yup, BR. NH is great for food, both are great for service, BR seat is much better
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:03 pm

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
Have done NH business before, and just flew BR 51/52 IAH-TPE this week in fact.

In terms of onboard product, I would definitely recommend BR. I love the privacy of the reverse herringbone seat and, as an earlier poster noted, they have a few touches that definitely make it feel a bit more first-class: pajamas (which they recently overhauled and are *very* comfortable and, dare I say, even stylish), Rimowa amenity kit, and Krug champagne. The menu is definitely more limited than NH, due in part to the departure/arrival times. But I thought the quality of the food was high and, honestly, I find that most business/first class menus are over the top in terms of quantity. [Did I really *need* a 9-course meal in F on SQ from SIN-HKG? No. But did I eat it anyway? Of course!]

Moreover, when I asked for seconds from the "mid-flight snack menu", the BR FAs were happy to oblige. They also had Texas-themed table covers when dining, fwiw.

Lastly, I should probably note that the plane that operates BR from IAH-TPE is (on most days of the week) a Hello Kitty themed aircraft. Regardless of whether you specifically care about that, it seems to translate to more enthusiastic flight attendants. This is just comparing my experiences being in Royal Laurel on BR51/52 versus other BR TPAC flights. The FAs on my IAH flights were proactive (in terms of asking if I wanted snacks/drinks) and extremely responsive to any requests that I had.

TPE is fast and easy to connect through, and they have great showers in the BR lounges as well. If you do decide to take a shower in TPE, and you're in the Infinity/Star lounge complex (it's two separate lounges, but with one entrance; you can go to either, but the decor is just different) make sure to ask for showers on the Infinity side as they have a few more amenities inside and, perhaps most important, the shower rooms have toilets. The ones on the Star side only have sinks and showers.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: HH G, MR/SPG G, IHG Plat, Club Carlson G, National Exec
For me, the deal breaker would be whether or not you get on the connecting TG 677 (A380 flight). If you can only find J availability on NH's B763 for the NRT-BKK segment, then BR is probably the winner. If you can get a seat on that Thai whale, though, there is no better way to do IAH-BKK in J IMHO.

NH catering is definitely top notch. Their pre-arrival meal in J is every bit as good and nearly as substantial as many most carriers' main meals. At 5'9", I also like the NH J seats, although I reckon those above 6' may find it a bit too short.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Not exactly airline specific, but I vastly prefer the schedules when transiting through southern gateways (TPE/HKG/...) vs northern (NRT/ICN/HND).

Arriving at midnight sucks, and 10PM or such is not much better. Neither allows a connection if that is the plan, and if staying locally you get to the hotel late enough to screw up sleep adjustment,

And I just love departing at either midnight or 5AM. Not.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: 1k
I have taken both many times. BR by far for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.