Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA widebodies on domestic routes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is UA widebodies on domestic routes
Print Wikipost

UA widebodies on domestic routes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: United MP Premier Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
764 from ewr-sfo 8/13 6:30 departure. What strikes it odd is that there is 2 752's departing at 6am and 629 am. flight 1273 bird 3064.

It is showing some weird positioning flights this past week, assuming some are charters . SFO to SJC rno-mci sfo-rno sjc-mci and some hub to hub (ord, iad, den,sfo)
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Nick Hermann
764 from ewr-sfo 8/13 6:30 departure. What strikes it odd is that there is 2 752's departing at 6am and 629 am. flight 1273 bird 3064.

It is showing some weird positioning flights this past week, assuming some are charters . SFO to SJC rno-mci sfo-rno sjc-mci and some hub to hub (ord, iad, den,sfo)
49ers play the Chiefs tonight so that is SJC-MCI, the it looks like it went to ORD last night to bring the Broncos back to DEN, then tonight back to MCI to take the 49ers back to SFO. After that more charter work then it looks like it will have to get back to SFO for other flights, the reason being for the additional EWR-SFO
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by gumercindo
Nice. this is the route I'm looking at for next year. Did you get a saver award?

I don't think IAD-HNL ever have saver awards.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
A 787-8 was subbed for a 757-300 today on UA1403/UA1722 IAH-ORD-IAH
Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by diburning
Yikes, I bet many pax were upset.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Sorry, I should have been more clear, the 787 subbed in for the original 757-300 which went mechanical.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Sorry, I should have been more clear, the 787 subbed in for the original 757-300 which went mechanical.

Don't understand this one at all. I would be thrilled to get a widebody instead of a tube. Especially in a case where it would likely result in a lot of empty seats and extra room, not to mention the better atmosphere in a 787. Those in First would have the extra luxury of lie-flat seats instead of the old FC seats in the 757-300.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fly747first
Yikes, I bet many pax were upset.

With 50% more F space and lie flat seats, not those upfront. And bit more legspace and seat back recline for those in the back.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
I don't think IAD-HNL ever have saver awards.
Just checked now and I see the 45k RT for the nonstop (for travel in 2018)
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
I'm having the same seat assignment problem on a 3-cabin flight IAD to SFO. I selected a seat in the business cabin and now cannot change it. The seats in first show available on the seatmap but if I click on those seats, the change does not take. I just called UA, and the agent also could not change my seat assignment. Has anyone found a workaround? This seems ridiculous.

Interestingly, the agent said "this aircraft is very weird" and when I said it was a 3-class being sold as a 2-class, she said "exactly."

On another point, before I purchased, I played around with booking into the front cabin, and it seemed possible but would have cost an extra $300. I decided that wasn't worth it (and wonder what exactly would have happened had I booked it that way).
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfolawyer

Interestingly, the agent said "this aircraft is very weird" and when I said it was a 3-class being sold as a 2-class, she said "exactly."

On another point, before I purchased, I played around with booking into the front cabin, and it seemed possible but would have cost an extra $300. I decided that wasn't worth it (and wonder what exactly would have happened had I booked it that way).
I was under the impression that the F cabin on those flights is held for GS and 1K.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I was under the impression that the F cabin on those flights is held for GS and 1K.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:44 pm

That appears to be the case based on earlier posts (and makes sense). Here are my conclusions and summary based on my booking of a C seat on IAD-SFO 5:15pm departure on 10/21:

1. UA appears to want to sell the 3-class aircraft as 2-class because the 3-class aircraft are disappearing and could be substituted with a 2-class bird.
2. Despite #1 , it appears to be possible to book a true first class seat for an additional charge, although I did not try that and am a little skeptical as to what would happen for the reasons that follow.
3. Consistent with #1 , the F cabin is being held and will be assigned to high-level elites seated in the C cabin at the last minute.
4. (Somewhat) consistent with #1 , reservations for the C cabin (which show on the receipt as being booked in domestic F) show as eligible for a CPU.
5. When buying a seat in the C cabin (which is booked as domestic F), one can select a seat in the C cabin upon booking but thereafter the entire C cabin is greyed out, even for an agent. (My problem.) Oddly, for an existing booking, the F cabin seats show as available but attempts to select a seat in the F cabin fail.
6. Because these planes are being treated as an odd hybrid of a 2-class and 3-class plane, and because UA is phasing out the 3-class metal, they are managing the remaining domestic flights on 3-class metal using a clumsy software patch that is not working well.

Are we having fun yet?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The three class flights on IAD-SFO are sold as such. A ticket in classes J/C/D/Z/P/JN/ZN/PN/R/RN/IN/I will show as United Business and allow you to select a seat in the Business cabin. A ticket in F/A/FN/ON/O will show as United First and allow you to select a seat in the First cabin.

Revenue tickets in J/C/D/Z/P are eligible for CPU or instrument upgrade to F.

This may get messy if there is an equipment swap, as the sales system does not keep pace with the seatmap.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: UAL Platinum, Amex Plat, Kimpton Inner Circle
SEA widebodies?

How can I check to see if a widebody might be available from SEA in the next couple of weeks? I have a lot of flexibility - early morning or redeye flights are not a problem. I'm headed back to CHS and can connect thru any hub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.