Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Widebody and narrowbody usage for the next month can be found on www.unitedcargo.com

Archive thread: UA widebodies on domestic routes {Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA widebodies on domestic routes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by uanj
Out of curiosity I did a quick check on Sep 15, the 3 ORD-DEN flights are all 772 HD, the high density versions without PE and 2-4-2 seating in first. These don't fly long haul international routes and I have been running into many of them on hub-to-hub flights.

FWIW I've heard UAs international WB fleet is fully deployed and there is not a great deal of slack. Not as tight as DL or AA, but tight enough that with Boeing's delayed deliveries not to expect much international growth in the next 18 months. UA has already added a ton of new international flights this last year. The Australia additions are especially impressive.
True; but it looks like there are fewer HDs on EWR-LAX/SFO, and more 772s and 773s. So the HDs are displaced to other domestic routes. China/HKG were among the longest 773 routes pre-COVID, and it can take two to three frames per route for daily service. European routes can operate with one to two.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by wxguy
True; but it looks like there are fewer HDs on EWR-LAX/SFO, and more 772s and 773s. So the HDs are displaced to other domestic routes. China/HKG were among the longest 773 routes pre-COVID, and it can take two to three frames per route for daily service. European routes can operate with one to two.
Assuming no MX issues. Gotta have spares.

David
Old Sep 2, 2023, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Business traffic (in the traditional sense) on the LAX/SFO-NYC transcons is still down quite a bit. More people are buying premium fares, which are lower than ever before. It doesn't drive nearly the yield premium it used to, certainly a far cry from the old days.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 6:39 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by EWR764
Business traffic (in the traditional sense) on the LAX/SFO-NYC transcons is still down quite a bit. More people are buying premium fares, which are lower than ever before. It doesn't drive nearly the yield premium it used to, certainly a far cry from the old days.
Really? Every time I have checked premium fares have been sky high. JetBlue's Mint service was good at keeping prices down - after they aligned with American it seems fares went up, and I don't think AA has brought back all the flights they used to have.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 6:52 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by uanj
Out of curiosity I did a quick check on Sep 15, the 3 ORD-DEN flights are all 772 HD, the high density versions without PE and 2-4-2 seating in first. These don't fly long haul international routes and I have been running into many of them on hub-to-hub flights.

FWIW I've heard UAs international WB fleet is fully deployed and there is not a great deal of slack. Not as tight as DL or AA, but tight enough that with Boeing's delayed deliveries not to expect much international growth in the next 18 months. UA has already added a ton of new international flights this last year. The Australia additions are especially impressive.
The reduction to PEK, PVG and CTU is also impressive, compared to pre-COVID (66 weekly flights down to 4 flights; back to 9 flights in late October). This reduction provides a lot of widebodies for other routes.

Last edited by Kmxu; Sep 6, 2023 at 7:09 am
Old Sep 6, 2023, 9:50 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Really? Every time I have checked premium fares have been sky high. JetBlue's Mint service was good at keeping prices down - after they aligned with American it seems fares went up, and I don't think AA has brought back all the flights they used to have.
They are higher than the pandemic lows, sure, but it's been my experience that I can frequently get sub-$1000 o/w P fares as close as within a day or so of departure, and I go to the West Coast 2-3x a month. More often it's around the $1000-1400 price point, which I still find to be reasonable compared to the "old days." SFO more expensive than LAX, as a general rule, and yes, AA capacity is still down, especially on JFK-SFO.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Cloudship
certainly not what I am seeing. TCON is quite reasonable right now, assuming you are buying in advance. Plenty good P fares out there
Old Sep 6, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Out of curiosity, has anyone done the research to show the increase in widebodies run domestically over the winter vs. the summer season is? I did do a check anecdotally of a random day in December for both EWR-SFO and EWR-LAX, and at least as of now, they are still flying about half the flights with 752s, which is more than it has been the past couple years (when you'd see only 1 or 2 752s at most, and everything else on a widebody).
I was reserved on a Polaris-equipped 787 LAX->EWR in late December that just in the last week was switched to 752...
Old Sep 6, 2023, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by EWR764
They are higher than the pandemic lows, sure, but it's been my experience that I can frequently get sub-$1000 o/w P fares as close as within a day or so of departure, and I go to the West Coast 2-3x a month. More often it's around the $1000-1400 price point, which I still find to be reasonable compared to the "old days." SFO more expensive than LAX, as a general rule, and yes, AA capacity is still down, especially on JFK-SFO.
Did you miss the better part of last decade with Mint, where P fares were stably $599 or so?

I agree there was a period before that with higher fares, but premium transcon fares are extremely high now compared to 2015-20.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Did you miss the better part of last decade with Mint, where P fares were stably $599 or so?

I agree there was a period before that with higher fares, but premium transcon fares are extremely high now compared to 2015-20.
I am old enough to remember $399 P fares on a regular basis, and I am not even old.
tstauck likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.