Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Promotion - Access to GFL for 1ks ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
{T}he answer is you are not entitled to enter the GFL but they may invite you if the UC is full.
Time to keep the Senator status and forget UA
We are used to proper first class lounges like in SIN HKGZRH E Gates DOH SYD MEL The GFL SFO passes as a business lounge anywhere else on the planet

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 12, 2017 at 11:04 am Reason: Quote and response updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by cbourl
Time to keep the Senator status and forget UA
We are used to proper first class lounges like in SIN HKGZRH E Gates DOH SYD MEL The GFL SFO passes as a business lounge anywhere else on the planet
My next trip to NYC in November is to JFK from SYD F on TG/OZ, Daytrip to SFO in AA in First to/from JFK with true F service, and T8 JFK Back to SYD on CX First from JFK
As we know SFO and EWR are non-discerning markets, but we have to get back to SYD somehow - Polaris is fantastic and had it 2 days ago from EWR-SFO We still wanted Global First to/from AU and all we get is BusinessFirst. TLV has Polaris from EWR because it is a discerning market TLV-SFO gets the 787-9
The demise of great PS from JFK with good lounges at T7 GFL and United Club with an intimate atmosphere, no need for TSA Precheck and fantastic JFK based ground staff and crew has been a very hard pill to swallow.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 12, 2017 at 3:22 pm Reason: Removed comments about Moderation per FT Rules
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
So almost full fare D class in C (no cheap P or Z here) to SYD will I be offered an invite or ask at baggage drop off?
At SFO, I've seen circumstances where 1Ks on D & higher fares got GFL access. Other times, no access for anyone except GF and GS. Other times, access for any 1K in paid J.

The key factor seems to be how packed the UC is. It may also depend on which person you ask, and whether you ask politely or in a way that comes across as entitled.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
So almost full fare D class in C (no cheap P or Z here) to SYD will I be offered an invite or ask at baggage drop off?
Ask politely at the G UC desk whether they are still sending 1Ks in Business to the GFL. They might say yes. I managed it as a 1K in R on SFO-SYD, but others have not had so much luck.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I got it once at SFO in R but never in P.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
My sense is to ask. I got it once at IAD while flying in R. The next two times out of IAD, in R and P, I asked and got it. Not all of the UC agents are familiar with surprise and delight.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by sannmann
My sense is to ask. I got it once at IAD while flying in R. The next two times out of IAD, in R and P, I asked and got it. Not all of the UC agents are familiar with surprise and delight.
Is it really suprise and delight if the 1k pre-emptively asks for it? I'd be afraid that the lounge dragons would see that as "accost and annoy" and send me to the back of the bus just because.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Ask politely at the G UC desk whether they are still sending 1Ks in Business to the GFL. They might say yes. I managed it as a 1K in R on SFO-SYD, but others have not had so much luck.
thanks il ltry otherwise shower and change in the SQ lounge or Amex Lounge
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sannmann
Not all of the UC agents are familiar with surprise and delight.
It's a specific policy at SFO while the UC is under construction. They are only supposed to grant access to 1Ks on "full fare" tickets, but apparently have the ability to grant exceptions.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:29 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ryman554
Is it really suprise and delight if the 1k pre-emptively asks for it? I'd be afraid that the lounge dragons would see that as "accost and annoy" and send me to the back of the bus just because.
I've yet to be surprised or delighted, even when flying in paid (discount) business as a 1K.

I almost asked in SFO when I was on a paid C ticket coming back from BKK. I was rather hoping they'd scan my BP and say, "Oh, Mr. Exerda, please visit the GFL today," but ended up with a brief visit and then spent my time in the Centurion lounge instead.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Back in July, being a 1K on a Z fare on SFO->SYD my self and my better half (Silver) also Z fare on same reservation both got an invite to the GFL

Was strait out offered when checking in to the UC in the INTL terminal and did not even need to ask
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:25 pm

No problems Just adked D Class is good Iwas told
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
So award Business tickets are not usually eligible correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.