Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Hacked by Same Group that Hit US OPM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
The hackers in this case may not be particularly interested in booking flights with people's stash of miles. If they have been in the system for a year without detection, it seems that they had other motives than a quick sell of miles for money.

I wonder if the data stolen includes passport data. I assume that's part of the manifest information for international flights.
This could be a big problem. I'll be getting a new passport in a few months (ran out of pages). So, a new number for me.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
Tin Hat On

In May I had some fraudulent activity on my credit card in the US. Looks like someone cloned my card because the card never left me and it was used in NYC taxis etc.. anyway.. the weird thing was that all the fraudulent activity was done while I was out of the country. I had flown out of the country on United.The activity stopped when I arrived back in the country. It was really weird.
Interesting. Same thing thing happened to me - about a day after I landed in Australia, Chase shut off my Sapphire card after it was used at a grocery store in Texas. I figured it was the taxi ride from MEL to my hotel where they skimmed the card number, but maybe not. Probably coincidence but you never know.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by jgreen1024
Interesting. Same thing thing happened to me - about a day after I landed in Australia, Chase shut off my Sapphire card after it was used at a grocery store in Texas. I figured it was the taxi ride from MEL to my hotel where they skimmed the card number, but maybe not. Probably coincidence but you never know.
Did you provide Chase with a travel alert? If not, it could be that simple.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by transportbiz
Guess I should have stated "used fraudulently at a grocery store in Texas" (which is not where I live or where I had been recently).
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:59 pm
RNE

It's somewhat surprising how little interest this thread has. I actually think it's the biggest "deal" to hit UA in years.
My information was compromised in the Target breach, the Anthem breach, and the lesser-known City of Akron breach. What does one more breach matter?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

Are you not getting those emails from Chase (annoyingly sent from an account named "Chase Fraud Alert") that say:

As part of our continuous efforts to improve your experience with your Chase Sapphire® card, we've made an update to your account.

In the past, you may have notified us of your travel plans to ensure uninterrupted service while traveling. Because we value your business and your use of this card, you no longer need to provide us with your travel information.

Our fraud detection systems will continue to protect and monitor your account, and we may still decline charges that appear fraudulent.
Your account satisfaction and security is our priority. Should you need us while traveling, call the number on the back of your card anytime. Thank you for choosing Chase.

Sincerely,

Chase Card Services
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by RockinRon
Did the hackers claim the 1,000,000 miles for finding a hole?

All joking aside, this is just another example of United's struggling IT and one that has potential to be more damaging than the groundings on July 8th due to the breadth of data compromised.
While I agree that United's IT is a complete joke, it is almost impossible to prevent this level of hacking at any company. Just look at Chase - one server out of thousands missing a security patch enabled hackers to get into their core systems. Walls and encryption help, but will not prevent hacks. You need to monitor every activity and use analytics to find anomalies. All it takes is offering an admin that happens to be deep in debt hundred K$ and you will be in.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
The hackers in this case may not be particularly interested in booking flights with people's stash of miles. If they have been in the system for a year without detection, it seems that they had other motives than a quick sell of miles for money.

I wonder if the data stolen includes passport data. I assume that's part of the manifest information for international flights.
I suspect FF miles was low on their list of desirable items to snag. They may not even be a participant in Flyertalk.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by bldr1k
While I agree that United's IT is a complete joke, it is almost impossible to prevent this level of hacking at any company. Just look at Chase - one server out of thousands missing a security patch enabled hackers to get into their core systems. Walls and encryption help, but will not prevent hacks. You need to monitor every activity and use analytics to find anomalies. All it takes is offering an admin that happens to be deep in debt hundred K$ and you will be in.
But to be in for more than a year un-noticed? That's not your garden variety opppsss, we lost some transaction data.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:33 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
AA/Sabre hit too

http://finance.yahoo.com/video/hacke...?.tsrc=applewf
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:41 am

Are you not getting those emails from Chase (annoyingly sent from an account named "Chase Fraud Alert") that say:
Yes, I got it and promptly ignored it. I'm not bothering with calling when I am trying to use the card, while I'm in the middle of Botswana or something. Much prefer to call, and notify, each card company. If one blocks it anyways, then I just use the other's.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:43 am

Interesting that AA notes there is no evidence any personal information was compromised.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Yes, I got it and promptly ignored it. I'm not bothering with calling when I am trying to use the card, while I'm in the middle of Botswana or something. Much prefer to call, and notify, each card company. If one blocks it anyways, then I just use the other's.
The email tells you Chase no longer does travel alerts. Ive been very happy with Chase with regards to international travel and fraud detection. Several times Ive been snagged, and they have communicated promptly and caught the fraud while still letting me use the card to get home.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
The email tells you Chase no longer does travel alerts. Ive been very happy with Chase with regards to international travel and fraud detection. Several times Ive been snagged, and they have communicated promptly and caught the fraud while still letting me use the card to get home.
They still do them for me, maybe I'm special?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
From what I remember for my 2 Chase cards (United and Marriott), there is an automated system on the phone number which allows travel notifications to be entered. Just dates of travel, not destinations.

Within a day or two, I think they send an email saying we got the travel notice, but be aware that we may deny the charge anyway if we think something hinky is going on...(not an exact quote )

Bottom line: I think it is just one piece of some type of algorithm which evaluates risk for the charge in progress. I always alert them of international travel as one piece of the puzzle in their system.

Back on topic: Has United really not released details about the data that was at risk and such? I haven't seen anything on the website. Seems pretty crappy not to have a statement about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.